Old March 22nd 12, 05:30 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default King's Cross: the Parcel Yard

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 16:16:43 +0000, Roland Perry put finger to keyboard and
typed:

In message
, at
08:58:07 on Thu, 22 Mar 2012, Fat richard
remarked:
I passed trough very briefly on Tuesday and got poked by a young girl
with one of those big foam pointing fingers. She was taking her remit
to send people to the departure hall a little too literally. All good
natured stuff but she really was most insistant that I didn't want to
go into the arrivals hall.

I was surprised to see lots of retail still in the Arrivals hall this
morning, I was expecting it to have closed along with the ticket office.

Well, it will be closing when the extension is demolished. My guess is that
the retail operators have a lease until that time and will stay open until
then. Obviously, they're not going to be making as much money over the next
few months as they did before, but unless it becomes a complete lossmaker
there's no reason to close before they have to.

It seems odd to restrict outgoing punters to the choice in the departure
hall, if there's a wider choice by including the arrivals hall.

They're clearly concerned about people not understanding that they have to
go to the new departures hall in order to buy tickets or get on a train.
Given the propensity of the travelling public to completely ignore signs
and directions, that's probably reasonable in the short term.

Mark
--
Blog: http://mark.goodge.co.uk
Stuff: http://www.good-stuff.co.uk

Old March 22nd 12, 05:36 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Just home from a look around the station, but mainly to check out the Parcel
Yard.

I'm impressed by the pub, although I don't know what the interior of the old
parcels office looked like. The impression is that a lot of the interior and
wood has been left intact creating an amazing number of rooms, snugs and
hidden corners. It is on two floors with the upper floor more food focused.
Some random railway stuff on the walls, but parts of the place oozes old
railway. Minimal historic data on a couple of boards but a more detailed
info board/leaflet would be good. OK the beer was London prices, but I had
expected it to be London plus surcharge and it wasn't that expensive. Much
of the Fullers portfolio on the handpumps.

I'll reserve full judgement on the station as St P impressed me at first
until I realised it was a crap station (good architecture and shopping I
agree though). Not sure if the arrivals/departures were to be kept
completely separate, but there is a temporary looking way through currently
next to the gates at the south end. Amused by the huge Japanese (?) school
party queuing to be photographed one by one at platform 9 3/4.

The centre footbridge gives impressive views of the trainshed. I will almost
certainly use this way to the platforms, at least for now, as fewer
passengers know of the route. Once it gets known it may be different. EC had
already perfected the art of not announcing your train until the last minute
and I do wonder if irregular passengers departing from platform 0 especially
will miss their train - time they've found where to go, fought with the
gates etc?

The helpers with their giant foam fingers pointing the way are a novel idea.
They have a little leaflet to hand out with the plan and info on the new
station.

David

Old March 22nd 12, 06:38 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 22/03/2012 18:36, David Thornhill wrote:
Just home from a look around the station...

Been there today too and had a wander about. What I feel is lacking in
the concourse is a /large/ sign saying platforms 0-8 clearly visible
from the exit from 9-11 which is where you come in from St. Pancras if
you exit from there halfway up rather than the Euston Road. Also another
/large/ sign saying Underground that makes it obvious where the head of
the multiple escalators are hidden round the back of the retail units.
Oh and a nice big analogue clock hung from the central roof support
would have been a nice touch and would have made a good meeting point.
--
Phil Cook
Old March 22nd 12, 06:48 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 22:54:54 on
Wed, 21 Mar 2012, John Salmon remarked:

The two main departure boards each have 20 panels, showing the next 18
departures or departures for the next 90[*] minutes, whichever is the
fewer; the 19th and 20th panels are summaries of departures and
arrivals, but with no 'headings' to show which is which - you just
have to know, or be capable of working it out.

It's true - they've forgotten (or decided not) to add those 'headings'
to these boards, which are commonplace elsewhere.
Old March 22nd 12, 06:50 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message e.net, at
18:30:43 on Thu, 22 Mar 2012, Mark Goodge
remarked:
It seems odd to restrict outgoing punters to the choice in the departure
hall, if there's a wider choice by including the arrivals hall.

They're clearly concerned about people not understanding that they have to
go to the new departures hall in order to buy tickets or get on a train.
Given the propensity of the travelling public to completely ignore signs
and directions, that's probably reasonable in the short term.

But there's a (possibly temporary) passage from the arrivals hall to the
departures hall, which currently makes that the best way to get from the
original ticket hall to the departures hall.

There are people with "foam fingers" trying to dissuade you, but I think
they protest too much!

Old March 22nd 12, 09:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 22, 10:09*pm, Roland Perry wrote:
[...]
Until the Spring, anyway.

Sorry, just come back from a meeting in Westminster where it was
explained (for the umpteenth time) that Spring lasts from February to
November.

Aha, government seasons!