Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 21st 12, 09:54 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default King's Cross: the Parcel Yard

I'm surprised that the Parcel Yard (new pub and dining area at King's Cross)
hasn't been commented on here. It's at first-floor level between platforms
8 and 9, with rooms looking out onto both the suburban and mainline
platforms. I visited on Monday evening with my daughter and her boyfriend,
for a meal and drinks. Perhaps it would have been better to have waited
until some of the teething problems had been sorted out - problems with
hand-held card readers having no signal in some areas, and confusion over
the process for placing orders - but nevertheless it was an enjoyable
experience. I wonder who had the foresight to realise that this area was
capable of conversion in this way? Would I be right in thinking that this
area has listed status effectively preventing demolition? There is a
surprising number of interconnecting rooms in this area, and it would be
interesting to learn more about their previous uses.

One or two nit-picks about other aspects of the new concourse (which overall
I found very good):

Signage directing passengers to the main (ground-level) barrier line to
platforms 0 to 8 seemed to me to be insufficiently conspicuous; I came
across a few passengers who were clearly struggling to locate it.

The two main departure boards each have 20 panels, showing the next 18
departures or departures for the next 90[*] minutes, whichever is the
fewer; the 19th and 20th panels are summaries of departures and arrivals,
but with no 'headings' to show which is which - you just have to know, or
be capable of working it out.
[*] is 90 minutes the standard cut-off for stations managed by Network Rail?
At stations managed by East Coast, it's 99 minutes.