Old January 18th 04, 12:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

Default Back to buses.

I've seen the (ONE) green No 8 several times now; once even going along
Bow Road towards the bus garage. But although there are supposed to be
three new single-decker fuel-cell buses on the 25 route, I haven't seen
one yet.
Are they really in service now?
Maybe if I wait long enough all three will come along at once.
--
Kat Me, Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Old January 18th 04, 09:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 01:34:00 +0000, Kat
wrote:

I've seen the (ONE) green No 8 several times now; once even going along
Bow Road towards the bus garage. But although there are supposed to be
three new single-decker fuel-cell buses on the 25 route, I haven't seen
one yet.
Are they really in service now?
Maybe if I wait long enough all three will come along at once.

Yes they are running. Go to www.firstlondontimetables.co.uk and select
timetables, route 25 and then Fuel Cell. This shows the times they are
supposed to run. Note that they are supplemental to the main 25 service
and are not guaranteed to run as they are experimental vehicles.

HTH
--
Paul C

Old January 18th 04, 12:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Kat wrote in message ...
I've seen the (ONE) green No 8 several times now; once even going along
Bow Road towards the bus garage. But although there are supposed to be
three new single-decker fuel-cell buses on the 25 route, I haven't seen
one yet.
Are they really in service now?
Maybe if I wait long enough all three will come along at once.

Hi...
They are about. A time table is availble at
www.firstlondontimetables.co.uk
click on the timetables button and then select 25. When the 25
timetable page loads click on the fuel cell button on the right og the
page.
I must add that these buses are an addition to the service and do not
have to run.
Thanks...
Richard Jeeves...
Old January 18th 04, 12:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

In message , Paul Corfield
writes
wrote:

I've seen the (ONE) green No 8 several times now; once even going along
Bow Road towards the bus garage. But although there are supposed to be
three new single-decker fuel-cell buses on the 25 route, I haven't seen
one yet.
Are they really in service now?
Maybe if I wait long enough all three will come along at once.

Yes they are running. Go to www.firstlondontimetables.co.uk and select
timetables, route 25 and then Fuel Cell. This shows the times they are
supposed to run. Note that they are supplemental to the main 25 service
and are not guaranteed to run as they are experimental vehicles.

HTH

Thank you both Paul and Richard for the info.
--
Kat Me, Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Old January 18th 04, 05:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Kat
writes
I've seen the (ONE) green No 8 several times now; once even going
along Bow Road towards the bus garage. But although there are supposed
to be three new single-decker fuel-cell buses on the 25 route, I
haven't seen one yet.
Are they really in service now?
Maybe if I wait long enough all three will come along at once.

The green RML was repainted into it's original service livery (it went
to Harlow in 1966) after the Routemaster Coach RMC is original GreenLine
livery was retired from the 15 and went to Cobham. A nice touch by
Stagecoach. (and I see it regularly up and down Holborn). The fuel cell
buses are about, as others have pointed out.
--
Steve

Old January 18th 04, 07:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

I've seen the (ONE) green No 8 several times now; once even going along
Bow Road towards the bus garage. But although there are supposed to be
three new single-decker fuel-cell buses on the 25 route, I haven't seen
one yet.
Are they really in service now?
Maybe if I wait long enough all three will come along at once.

Yes they are running. Go to www.firstlondontimetables.co.uk and select
timetables, route 25 and then Fuel Cell. This shows the times they are
supposed to run. Note that they are supplemental to the main 25 service
and are not guaranteed to run as they are experimental vehicles.

HTH

The chances of finding these demonstration cell buses actually in
service is somewhat remote and as for this type of vehicle replacing
the majority of the fleet of buses within London, absolutely NIL.

Taking 9kW to produce 1kW of useful energy is a fascinating concept
and interesting to note that refueling arrangments may have to be
placed where there is no perceived dangers to the local community.
That means non revenue earning journeys on top of an inability to have
enough onboard fuel storage for a normal daily duty cycle.

There's a lot to be said for stringing up some wires along the route
to deliver electricity directly to the bus; that way you can run 10
vehicles for the same price of 1 fuel cell bus.

DAVID BRADLEY

Old January 18th 04, 08:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , David Bradley
writes

wrote:

I've seen the (ONE) green No 8 several times now; once even going along
Bow Road towards the bus garage. But although there are supposed to be
three new single-decker fuel-cell buses on the 25 route, I haven't seen
one yet.
Are they really in service now?
Maybe if I wait long enough all three will come along at once.

Yes they are running. Go to www.firstlondontimetables.co.uk and select
timetables, route 25 and then Fuel Cell. This shows the times they are
supposed to run. Note that they are supplemental to the main 25 service
and are not guaranteed to run as they are experimental vehicles.

HTH

The chances of finding these demonstration cell buses actually in
service is somewhat remote and as for this type of vehicle replacing
the majority of the fleet of buses within London, absolutely NIL.

They've been in frontline service most morning peaks last week.

Taking 9kW to produce 1kW of useful energy is a fascinating concept
and interesting to note that refueling arrangments may have to be
placed where there is no perceived dangers to the local community.
That means non revenue earning journeys on top of an inability to have
enough onboard fuel storage for a normal daily duty cycle.

Your figures are wrong. And so are your facts - there is as much danger
in hydrogen as in LPG, they are equally volatile

There's a lot to be said for stringing up some wires along the route
to deliver electricity directly to the bus; that way you can run 10
vehicles for the same price of 1 fuel cell bus.

But only on one route. I said they were coming.

--
Steve
Old January 18th 04, 08:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 21:05:27 GMT, Steve wrote:

In article , David Bradley
writes

wrote:

[...]

The duty cycle they are on could hardly be said to be "front line
service" - in use just three hours a day, at best.

Taking 9kW to produce 1kW of useful energy is a fascinating concept
and interesting to note that refueling arrangments may have to be
placed where there is no perceived dangers to the local community.
That means non revenue earning journeys on top of an inability to have
enough onboard fuel storage for a normal daily duty cycle.

Your figures are wrong. And so are your facts - there is as much danger
in hydrogen as in LPG, they are equally volatile

No Sir, facts that were borne out in Vancouver who have sensibly opted
to purchase trolleybuses. If you want chapter and verse I will
happily provide it. Interesting that LPG refilling facilities can be
found on numerous forecourts but the refuelling plant proposed for
Hornchurch was refused planning permission, citing safety reasons, by
the London borough of Having. A fact you could look up.

There's a lot to be said for stringing up some wires along the route
to deliver electricity directly to the bus; that way you can run 10
vehicles for the same price of 1 fuel cell bus.

But only on one route. I said they were coming.

Not for long on route 25, they going to be transferred in the Summer
to the RV1, a nice quiet little tourist service that toddles along
from Covent Garden to London Bridge via the South Bank back roads, an
area where enviromental issues are hardly a problem at the moment.

DAVID BRADLEY

Old January 18th 04, 09:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Taking 9kW to produce 1kW of useful energy is a fascinating concept
and interesting to note that refueling arrangments may have to be
placed where there is no perceived dangers to the local community.
That means non revenue earning journeys on top of an inability to have
enough onboard fuel storage for a normal daily duty cycle.

Your figures are wrong. And so are your facts - there is as much danger
in hydrogen as in LPG, they are equally volatile

No Sir, facts that were borne out in Vancouver who have sensibly opted
to purchase trolleybuses. If you want chapter and verse I will
happily provide it. Interesting that LPG refilling facilities can be
found on numerous forecourts but the refuelling plant proposed for
Hornchurch was refused planning permission, citing safety reasons, by
the London borough of Having. A fact you could look up.

LPG is significantly less volatile than Hydrogen, though I accept that
refuelling facilities for either are about as dangerous as each other.
Vancouver is not really a fair comparison because Vancouver has a
significant infrastructure investment in its substantial trolleybus network
already present. London has facilities for neither trolleybuses nor fuel
cell buses present, so for specifying a new build system a different set of
economic criteria must be considered. Personally I would favour
trolleybuses over fuel cell buses, primarily because the fixed
infrastructure along the routes gives a more public image of a service even
when no vehicle is present.

Robin

Old January 18th 04, 10:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"primarily because the fixed
infrastructure along the routes gives a more public image of a service even
when no vehicle is present."
Hells bells Robin.....Are you in the employ of Hizzonor The Mayuh ?
The same could be said of a Bus Stop or indeed of a Parisian ****oir.
How about the Millenium Dome ?
Maybe the Fuel Cell people could employ some Old Johnny Rotten,Public Image
Limited Videos....Now there was a man who understood the concept of Public
Service........
Stephen Norris and Johnny Rotten...The Dream Team...????