Old March 27th 12, 06:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default tfl bus route 370

Help please....

I live in Thurock but I do use the 370 at times, usually to Upminster.

It's run by Arriva from a new garage in West Thurrock using
single-deckers, make unknown but with "Enviro 200" writ across the
rear of the bus.

However, most of the service seems to be using ancient double-deckers,
in TFL red livery but very possibly sourced from somewhere in Kent,
'cos some of the interior advertising seems to be aimed at Kent
residents.

What's going on, especially regarding the interior finish of these
bus, they seem to be very "tired", & much worse than one might expect
for a TFL route?

They make Ensign's & even First Essex's vehicles look quite
smart........

TIA for any info, David C

Old March 27th 12, 06:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 19:19:04 +0100, Paul Corfield
wrote:

On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 19:00:34 +0100, DC wrote:

Help please....

I live in Thurock but I do use the 370 at times, usually to Upminster.

It's run by Arriva from a new garage in West Thurrock using
single-deckers, make unknown but with "Enviro 200" writ across the
rear of the bus.

Alexander Dennis Enviro 200 single deckers.

However, most of the service seems to be using ancient double-deckers,
in TFL red livery but very possibly sourced from somewhere in Kent,
'cos some of the interior advertising seems to be aimed at Kent
residents.

Yes - DAF DB250 / Alexander ALX400 double deckers made surplus from
TfL Route 160 which was run from Dartford garage hence the kent
oriented adverts.

What's going on, especially regarding the interior finish of these
bus, they seem to be very "tired", & much worse than one might expect
for a TFL route?

They are a temporary allocation which has allowed TfL to convert the
route to double deck operation. As I am sure you will know the single
deckers could get dreadfully overloaded such is the demand on the
route. The DAFs will be replaced later this year but not with new
buses. It will get refurbished Volvo B7s made surplus from route 249
which moves from Arriva to London General operation this week.

Arriva have won a new contract on the 370 which starts later this year
and I believe the Volvos will be refurbished in time to take up the
new contract. You're stuck with the DAFs for a while though.

Thanks Paul, a very detailed & prompt reply!

Providing more capacity does make sense, both termini are shopping
destinations + there are schools on the route.

Ensign run some similar looking 'deckers, but in somewhat better
condition, but although they are a small operator they do have the
facilities (& inclination) to keep their vehicles in good shape.

It's always been an interesting route, ISTR seeing Bristol VR 'deckers
in Romford when it was being run by London Country.
It terminated in Grays back then too, but I suppose that Lakeside is a
sensible terminus, being such a major traffic objective.
At least Ensign do provide evening services into Grays & out to
Chadwell, so I can get home at night after a day in London.

(I'm aware that it's much easier to stay on the train to Grays rather
than change onto a bus at Upminster, but I'm both a poor pensioner
with a bus-pass & mean enough to object to the difference in prices
for off-peak 1-day travel-cards from Grays stations group &
Upminster!)

Thanks again for your help, I'll keep looking for the newer buses in
the nearish future.

Cheers, David C.

Old March 27th 12, 06:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

DC wrote:
Help please....
I live in Thurock but I do use the 370 at times, usually to Upminster.

It's run by Arriva from a new garage in West Thurrock using
single-deckers, make unknown but with "Enviro 200" writ across the
rear of the bus.

snip
TIA for any info, David C

It's the latest name for what used to be called a Dennis Dart:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexand...Enviro200_Dart