Old April 12th 12, 05:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default What does this contraption do?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dubidubno/7071179813/

It's attached to a platform support in the photo, but I've also seen them
on bridges and viaducts. Not knowing what it's called, I can't search for
it.

--
jhk

Old April 12th 12, 05:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 19:03:49 on
Thu, 12 Apr 2012, Jarle H Knudsen remarked:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dubidubno/7071179813/

It's attached to a platform support in the photo, but I've also seen them
on bridges and viaducts. Not knowing what it's called, I can't search for
it.

It's a gauge against which the rails are adjusted if re-ballasted.
Old April 12th 12, 07:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 12/04/2012 18:03, Jarle H Knudsen wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dubidubno/7071179813/

It's attached to a platform support in the photo, but I've also seen them
on bridges and viaducts. Not knowing what it's called, I can't search for
it.

I've wondered about that. I've also wondered what those things are that
are mounted from the ceiling that are normally at the end of a platform.
They have a round disk on them, which is angled in such a way that they
are pointing at the train that berths in the station.
Old April 12th 12, 09:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thursday, 12 April 2012 18:03:49 UTC+1, Jarle H Knudsen wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dubidubno/7071179813/

It's attached to a platform support in the photo, but I've also seen them
on bridges and viaducts. Not knowing what it's called, I can't search for

it is a contraption for capturing and releasing flows en bloc, in a more or less ordered manner – a social machine.
Old April 13th 12, 10:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

" wrote:
On 12/04/2012 18:03, Jarle H Knudsen wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dubidubno/7071179813/

It's attached to a platform support in the photo, but I've also seen them
on bridges and viaducts. Not knowing what it's called, I can't search for
it.

I've wondered about that. I've also wondered what those things are that
are mounted from the ceiling that are normally at the end of a platform.
They have a round disk on them, which is angled in such a way that they
are pointing at the train that berths in the station.

I always assumed they detected the trains and activated the drivers
platform CCTV monitors?

Old April 13th 12, 10:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 18:12:45 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 19:03:49 on
Thu, 12 Apr 2012, Jarle H Knudsen remarked:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dubidubno/7071179813/

It's a gauge against which the rails are adjusted if re-ballasted.

To assure the carriage floors are alligned with the platform edge or for
some other reason?

--
jhk

Old April 13th 12, 02:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Jarle H Knudsen" wrote in message
.. .
I forgot to include uk.railway. Rather than start a separate thread, I'm
crossposting this sub-thread.

On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 19:03:49 +0200, Jarle H Knudsen wrote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dubidubno/7071179813/

It's attached to a platform support in the photo, but I've also seen them
on bridges and viaducts. Not knowing what it's called, I can't search for
it.

It appears bi-monthly in this group.
Usually found on station platforms a guage ensure the track is laid
correctly to maintain clearance of rail vehicles from structure.

Old April 22nd 12, 02:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , "
wrote:
I've wondered about that. I've also wondered what those things are that
are mounted from the ceiling that are normally at the end of a
platform. They have a round disk on them, which is angled in such a way
that they are pointing at the train that berths in the station.

Do you mean the small sticks with a yellow disc, about 5cm across? Those
are targets for a laser theodolite and there should be several scattered
around the platform. If there's any significant motion of the tunnel
during reconstruction (even only a couple of millimetres), it can be
measured. They don't face the train, they face the theodolite.

If you mean something else, you'll have to provide a picture.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Mobile: +44 7973 377646 | Web: http://www.davros.org
Old April 24th 12, 09:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 22/04/2012 15:32, Clive D. W. Feather wrote:
In message , "
wrote:
I've wondered about that. I've also wondered what those things are
that are mounted from the ceiling that are normally at the end of a
platform. They have a round disk on them, which is angled in such a
way that they are pointing at the train that berths in the station.

Do you mean the small sticks with a yellow disc, about 5cm across? Those
are targets for a laser theodolite and there should be several scattered
around the platform. If there's any significant motion of the tunnel
during reconstruction (even only a couple of millimetres), it can be
measured. They don't face the train, they face the theodolite.

If you mean something else, you'll have to provide a picture.

They are fitted from the ceiling, are always at the front of the
platform and always positioned facing the train.