Old April 12th 12, 05:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Circle restored

In article ,
(Richard J.) wrote:

wrote on 12 April 2012 00:01:16 ...
I'm surprised no one has mentioned here that the Circle Line was
restored over Easter because of Engineering works. It proved handy
for me travelling between Kings Cross and East Putney via Paddington (to
meet a daughter arriving from Bristol in one direction).

One consequence with Edgware Road being used to terminate services from
both directions was that the Wimbleware service was not on its usual
platform, presumably to limit the number of conflicting moves. As usual
Edgware Road was its execrable self for passenger information. There
were no platform staff on view to help confused passengers.

LU reverted to the old-style Circle on Tuesday evening this week (10
April) after an earlier signalling failure at Baker Street which
resulted in the northern side of the Circle being closed. The
resumption of service in the evening consisted only of an (old-style)
Circle Line service, plus a shuttle service between Hammersmith and
Edgware Road.

Quite why LU decided to recover from the suspension by operating a
completely different service from normal is a mystery. The result
was predictably a shambles. I saw two successive westbound trains
held up for 10 minutes while a driver was found. At one point there
were 4 drivers and a manager on the platform, while we waited for a
5th driver to arrive who could actually take the train forward.

The other thing that surprised me was how long the station stops were every
time at both Baker Street and Edgware Road.

--
Colin Rosenstiel