Old May 17th 12, 12:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Whitechapel Station

On 16/05/2012 22:54, Steve Fitzgerald wrote:
In message , "
writes

I believe there are also plans to take out the bay platform at Mansion
House as part of the SSL resignalling project.

There are new reversing crossovers at the east and west ends of the
platforms. One has to do a 'main line shunt' now and as this causes
delays to the following trains is only used in degraded conditions.

I saw markers on the eastbound track between Stepney Green and
Whitechapel, actually. One marker had C/R written on it, while the
other had D/R.

C stock and D stock reversing points.

Is that why they installed semi-automatic signals in the area, then?

Nope, they were always semis

Of all the previous times that I have been there, it was only recently
that I saw the lights with the illuminated A, both on westbound and
eastbound tracks.

The draw-up signal on the eastbound track is still working, I note.

Old May 17th 12, 12:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 17/05/2012 01:06, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Wed, 16 May 2012 22:19:36 +0100, "
wrote:

On 16/05/2012 11:03, Paul Corfield wrote:

I believe there are also plans to take out the bay platform at Mansion
House as part of the SSL resignalling project.

Are there many terminators at Mansion House? I think that there are not
many.

I didn't think so. I have seen a couple of booked services that way,
though it is rare.
Old May 17th 12, 01:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 17/05/2012 08:06, Steve Fitzgerald wrote:
In message , "
writes

I also notice that they have converted the signals in that area from
automatic to semi-automatic, or floodgate signals, as they are called
on the Northern Line. Why is that?

Not floodgate signals at all. Semi-automatic (controlled) signals which
are to be treated as automatic in certain circumstances. When the points
are proved secured, the signal cabin can be put into King (the King
lever is thrown) and worked as through running.

Just going on what they call them on the Northern Line, though yes,
they are semi-automatic. The illuminated A under the signal itself
indicates that they are in automatic mode.

Illuminated As are generally used on floodgate signals on the Northern,
Picc and District that I know of but not exclusively.

I've seen the illuminated As at Waterloo northbound on the Northern and
at Russell Square on westbound track.

If the signals were earlier semi-automatic at Whitechapel, then why did
they just install illuminated As now?
Old May 17th 12, 01:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 17/05/2012 08:10, Steve Fitzgerald wrote:
In message , "
writes
On 17/05/2012 01:06, Paul Corfield wrote:

I believe there are also plans to take out the bay platform at Mansion
House as part of the SSL resignalling project.

Are there many terminators at Mansion House? I think that there are not
many.

I didn't think so. I have seen a couple of booked services that way,
though it is rare.

Generally booked Towers running late. I don't think there are any trains
timetabled to reverse there.

I took a C stock there once being diverted from Edgware Road when they
had problems there.

I've seen one or two Mansion House terminators in the past year or so.
Old May 17th 12, 06:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 17/05/2012 18:59, Steve Fitzgerald wrote:
In message , "
writes

Not floodgate signals at all. Semi-automatic (controlled) signals
which
are to be treated as automatic in certain circumstances. When the
points
are proved secured, the signal cabin can be put into King (the King
lever is thrown) and worked as through running.

Just going on what they call them on the Northern Line, though yes,
they are semi-automatic. The illuminated A under the signal itself
indicates that they are in automatic mode.

Illuminated As are generally used on floodgate signals on the Northern,
Picc and District that I know of but not exclusively.

I've seen the illuminated As at Waterloo northbound on the Northern
and at Russell Square on westbound track.

If the signals were earlier semi-automatic at Whitechapel, then why
did they just install illuminated As now?

The area has been totally re-signalled with the work to remove the
centre tracks. There are no longer any booked reversers at Whitechapel
so there is no need to keep the signal cabin manned. When it is switched
out and the As are illuminated, trains can be authorised past failing
signals by the rulebook under failure conditions without the need for
someone to go on the track and secure the points and then be authorised
by the signaller. If the points are not secured the As won't illuminate.

What gave an indication earlier that the Whitechapel signals were
semi-automatic, if they didn't have the illuminated As?

Old May 19th 12, 07:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , "
wrote:
I also notice that they have converted the signals in that area from
automatic to semi-automatic, or floodgate signals, as they are called
on the Northern Line. Why is that?

Not floodgate signals at all.

Just going on what they call them on the Northern Line,

Floodgate signals all have an F and an X in the number; e.g. FNX78 at
Leicester Square northbound.

The X indicates that they have to be treated as controlled and can't be
passed under the Rule. There are other X signals (e.g. CX81 at Leicester
Square southbound) that are so-numbered for train management or
signalling purposes even though they actually work automatically.

though yes, they are semi-automatic. The illuminated A under the signal
itself indicates that they are in automatic mode.

LU uses the term "semi-automatic" to mean what everyone else calls
"controlled", because they return to red behind a train even if the
controlling lever is reversed and because they'll clear again without
the lever being re-stroked. The ones with an illuminatible A are
"semi-automatic that can work automatically".

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Mobile: +44 7973 377646 | Web: http://www.davros.org
Old May 19th 12, 04:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On May 19, 8:21*am, "Clive D. W. Feather" wrote:
In message , "

wrote:
[...]

I once read about a plan to turn Whitechapel into a Golders Green/
White City/Loughton/Arnos Grove type station with a central bi-
directional track. I guess that's ancient history?