London Banter

-   -   Labour backs plans to return railway network to public control - Guardian/Observer (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/13148-labour-backs-plans-return-railway.html)

David Cantrell July 5th 12 12:19 PM

Labour backs plans to return railway network to public control - Guardian/

On Wed, Jul 04, 2012 at 10:05:30AM -0500, wrote:
(David Cantrell) wrote:
wrote:
A bit more than that. It also controls a transport system carrying
half the nation's passengers.

That's pretty much *all* it is. The mayor has no significant powers
over anything else that people care about. And I'm not sure what powers
the assembly has at all.

The mayor has rather more planning powers than any county council.

I don't think many people care about skyscrapers unless there's one next
door.

The assembly is purely a scrutiny body. A bit like parliament.

Parliament can vote against a bill. Can the Assembly do anything like
that?

hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -- H. L. Mencken

Bob July 5th 12 12:21 PM

Labour backs plans to return railway network to public control - Guardian/Observer

On Jul 5, 1:45*pm, wrote:

What no one seems to give a toss about and which I think is far more
important is gay adoption. Many kids don't get a proper upbringing for whatever
reason but if the state has a choice of who to give a child to then its
IMO beholden to put them in a normal family - ie man & women. A child needs a
mother and a father, not 2 of one and zero of the other. Gay adopters should
be a last resort if there is simply nowhere else for the child to go. The
childs rights are paramount, the couples rights are irrelevant.

My understanding is that, in the UK, there is a shortage of adoptive
parents at the moment (ie a surplus of children). The choice, then,
isn't between a stable home where a man and a woman live together to
raise the child or a stable home where two men or two women live
together to raise the child, but between a stable home where two men
or two women live together to raise the child or some institutional
care home (with a long etsablished history of not providing a
particularly good environment for children, often from difficult
backgrounds). Studies of homosexual couples who have adopted have
suggested that, from a child welfare perspective, the environment they
provide their children is signficiantly better than that provided by a
care home.

Robin

[email protected] July 5th 12 01:44 PM

Labour backs plans to return railway network to public control - Guardian/Observer

On Thu, 5 Jul 2012 05:21:09 -0700 (PDT)
bob wrote:
My understanding is that, in the UK, there is a shortage of adoptive
parents at the moment (ie a surplus of children). The choice, then,

I bet I can guess where a lot of those kids come from and why nobody
wants to adopt them.

backgrounds). Studies of homosexual couples who have adopted have
suggested that, from a child welfare perspective, the environment they
provide their children is signficiantly better than that provided by a
care home.

Probably true. But I even if there weren't a shortage of adopters the gay
lobby would do their best to make sure "equal rights" were applied to couples
wrt who gets a child and sod what matters to the child itself.

B2003

77002 July 5th 12 02:45 PM

Labour backs plans to return railway network to public control - Guardian/Observer

On Jul 5, 1:16*pm, David Cantrell wrote:
On Wed, Jul 04, 2012 at 06:41:54AM +0100, Martin Edwards wrote:
We've nearly been through the card now. *How about capital punishment,
safety belts are dangerous and smoking is good for you?

If it helps, my dad recently had a heart attack while playing squash.
He wasn't smoking at the time. *This *PROVES* that smoking prevents
heart attacks, and that exercise is bad for you.

This is regretable news. I hope your father has a speedy and full
recovery.

This, IMHO, is not something about which one should joke.

Stephen Sprunk July 5th 12 07:00 PM

bob wrote:
My understanding is that, in the UK, there is a shortage of adoptive
parents at the moment (ie a surplus of children). The choice, then,

I bet I can guess where a lot of those kids come from and why nobody
wants to adopt them.

That doesn't excuse the fact that, when someone _does_ want to adopt
them, they are told "no" for various reasons that have little or nothing
to do with their ability to provide a better home than where the child
is already located.

For instance, many places prohibit adoptions by single couples, single
men, single women, couples married less than N years (where N exceeds
the 50% divorce rate), parents with the wrong skin color, parents of the
wrong religion, parents with too little income, etc.

Yes, in an ideal world, we would place every kid in a "perfect" family.
However, there seems to be a shortage of "perfect" couples to go
around, and those that do exist are rarely willing to adopt unless
they're unable to have biological children--which is why homosexual
couples are the best solution to the problem at hand _today_.

Charles Ellson July 5th 12 09:57 PM

Labour backs plans to return railway network to public control - Guardian/Observer

On Thu, 5 Jul 2012 07:45:40 -0700 (PDT), 77002
wrote:

On Jul 5, 1:16*pm, David Cantrell wrote:
On Wed, Jul 04, 2012 at 06:41:54AM +0100, Martin Edwards wrote:
We've nearly been through the card now. *How about capital punishment,
safety belts are dangerous and smoking is good for you?

If it helps, my dad recently had a heart attack while playing squash.
He wasn't smoking at the time. *This *PROVES* that smoking prevents
heart attacks, and that exercise is bad for you.

This is regretable news. I hope your father has a speedy and full
recovery.

This, IMHO, is not something about which one should joke.

You're not a student of gallows humour ?

Martin Edwards[_2_] July 6th 12 06:37 AM

wrote:
My understanding is that, in the UK, there is a shortage of adoptive
parents at the moment (ie a surplus of children). The choice, then,

I bet I can guess where a lot of those kids come from and why nobody
wants to adopt them.

Your guess is?

--
Myth, after all, is what we believe naturally. History is what we must
painfully learn and struggle to remember. -Albert Goldman

Graeme Wall July 6th 12 06:52 AM

wrote:
My understanding is that, in the UK, there is a shortage of adoptive
parents at the moment (ie a surplus of children). The choice, then,

I bet I can guess where a lot of those kids come from and why nobody
wants to adopt them.

Your guess is?

The Stork brought them.

--
Graeme Wall
Railway Miscellany at http://www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail

Nick Leverton July 6th 12 07:28 AM

Labour backs plans to return railway network to public control- Guardian/Observer

wrote:
My understanding is that, in the UK, there is a shortage of adoptive
parents at the moment (ie a surplus of children). The choice, then,

I bet I can guess where a lot of those kids come from and why nobody
wants to adopt them.

Your guess is?

It's these unnatural and irresponsible gay marriages, producing unwanted
children left, right and centre ...

Nick

77002 July 6th 12 07:40 AM

Labour backs plans to return railway network to public control - Guardian/Observer

On Jul 6, 8:28*am, Nick Leverton wrote:

*wrote:
My understanding is that, in the UK, there is a shortage of adoptive
parents at the moment (ie a surplus of children). *The choice, then,

I bet I can guess where a lot of those kids come from and why nobody
wants to adopt them.

Your guess is?

It's these unnatural and irresponsible gay marriages, producing unwanted
children left, right and centre ...

The average is 2.2 per couple, bright and cheerful, or not. My spouse
and I were gay enough to produce four. There is nothing unatural
about being bright and cheerful whatever the liberals tell you.

[email protected] July 6th 12 08:49 AM

Labour backs plans to return railway network to public control

wrote:
My understanding is that, in the UK, there is a shortage of adoptive
parents at the moment (ie a surplus of children). The choice, then,

I bet I can guess where a lot of those kids come from and why nobody
wants to adopt them.

Your guess is?

Abused kids from broken homes with serious behavioural and/or personality
disorders because of it.

B2003

Graeme Wall July 6th 12 08:49 AM

Labour backs plans to return railway network to public control- Guardian/Observer

On 06/07/2012 08:28, Nick Leverton wrote:
wrote:
My understanding is that, in the UK, there is a shortage of adoptive
parents at the moment (ie a surplus of children). The choice, then,

I bet I can guess where a lot of those kids come from and why nobody
wants to adopt them.

Your guess is?

It's these unnatural and irresponsible gay marriages, producing unwanted
children left, right and centre ...

Keyboard!!!!!!

David Cantrell July 6th 12 11:45 AM

On Thu, Jul 05, 2012 at 07:45:40AM -0700, 77002 wrote:
On Jul 5, 1:16=A0pm, David Cantrell wrote:
On Wed, Jul 04, 2012 at 06:41:54AM +0100, Martin Edwards wrote:
We've nearly been through the card now. =A0How about capital punishment=

,
safety belts are dangerous and smoking is good for you?

If it helps, my dad recently had a heart attack while playing squash.
He wasn't smoking at the time. =A0This *PROVES* that smoking prevents
heart attacks, and that exercise is bad for you.

This, IMHO, is not something about which one should joke.

If he can joke about it, then I jolly well can.

--
David Cantrell | A machine for turning tea into grumpiness

77002 July 6th 12 12:14 PM

On Jul 6, 12:45*pm, David Cantrell wrote:
On Thu, Jul 05, 2012 at 07:45:40AM -0700, 77002 wrote:
On Jul 5, 1:16=A0pm, David Cantrell wrote:
On Wed, Jul 04, 2012 at 06:41:54AM +0100, Martin Edwards wrote:
We've nearly been through the card now. =A0How about capital punishment=

,
safety belts are dangerous and smoking is good for you?
If it helps, my dad recently had a heart attack while playing squash.
He wasn't smoking at the time. =A0This *PROVES* that smoking prevents
heart attacks, and that exercise is bad for you.

This, IMHO, is not something about which one should joke.

If he can joke about it, then I jolly well can.

Fair enough. Glad to hear he is in good spirits. That helps the
healing process.

Alistair Gunn July 6th 12 05:33 PM

Labour backs plans to return railway network to public control - Guardian/Observer

In uk.railway Nick Leverton twisted the electrons to say:
It's these unnatural and irresponsible gay marriages, producing unwanted
children left, right and centre ...

Though if all the rabid heterosexuals stopped having gay kids then the
problem they're so overly concerned about would go away!

e27002 July 6th 12 06:14 PM

On Jul 6, 6:33*pm, Alistair Gunn wrote:
In uk.railway Nick Leverton twisted the electrons to say:

It's these unnatural and irresponsible gay marriages, producing unwanted
children left, right and centre ...

Though if all the rabid heterosexuals stopped having gay kids then the
problem they're so overly concerned about would go away!

If children cannot be bright and cheerful! who can?

Colin McKenzie July 6th 12 07:28 PM

Labour backs plans to return railway network to public control -Guardian/

wrote:

The assembly is purely a scrutiny body. A bit like parliament.

Parliament can vote against a bill. Can the Assembly do anything like
that?

It can veto the Mayor's budget.

Colin McKenzie

--
Cycling in the UK is about as safe as walking, and helmets don't make it
safer. Make an informed choice - visit

Recliner[_2_] July 6th 12 09:27 PM

Labour backs plans to return railway network to public control - Guardian/

On Fri, 06 Jul 2012 21:01:16 +0100, Paul Corfield
wrote:

wrote:

The assembly is purely a scrutiny body. A bit like parliament.

Parliament can vote against a bill. Can the Assembly do anything like
that?

It can veto the Mayor's budget.

and refuse to loan part of their Head of Service when the Deputy Mayor
for Policing decides it is acceptable to let two experienced civil
servants leave at zero notice leaving the Mayor's Office for Policing
bereft of experience and knowledge. I hadn't appreciated incompetence
was an essential qualification for public office with this Mayor.

Yes, he does seem to be repeating the personnel recruitment mistakes
from the first term. I wasn't surprised last time, given his lack of
experience of running any previous medium or large organisation, but
did expect better four years later.

Martin Edwards[_2_] July 7th 12 06:29 AM

wrote:
My understanding is that, in the UK, there is a shortage of adoptive
parents at the moment (ie a surplus of children). The choice, then,

I bet I can guess where a lot of those kids come from and why nobody
wants to adopt them.

Your guess is?

The Stork brought them.

Are you saying they are made from low fat spread?

ŽiŠardo July 7th 12 10:02 AM

wrote:
My understanding is that, in the UK, there is a shortage of adoptive
parents at the moment (ie a surplus of children). The choice, then,

I bet I can guess where a lot of those kids come from and why nobody
wants to adopt them.

Your guess is?

It's these unnatural and irresponsible gay marriages, producing unwanted
children left, right and centre ...

Nick

Well, in today's Daily Telegraph, under the heading: "Proud Supporter
Clegg flies the flag in Whitehall for Gay Pride weekend" it shows,
amongst others, a picture of "Mary Portas 'Queen of Shops' with her
pregnant partner Melanie Rickie...".

That took some balls...

--
Moving things in still pictures

el.perro July 7th 12 10:41 AM

wrote:
My understanding is that, in the UK, there is a shortage of adoptive
parents at the moment (ie a surplus of children). The choice, then,

I bet I can guess where a lot of those kids come from and why nobody
wants to adopt them.

Your guess is?

Abused kids from broken homes with serious behavioural and/or personality
disorders because of it.

B2003

Or, given that, proportionately far more children from ethnic minorities are
in care - some 20% - the strict interpretations of the "ethnicity" of the
child AND of those willing to adopt:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ring-home.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...ance-says.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-end-ban.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...n-racial-lines

http://www.thefca.co.uk/become-a-fos...in-foster-care

Note the requirement:
"Foster carers require patience, selflessness, encouragement to the child
and a willingness to adapt to the child’s needs."
....which seems to indicate that if you do take on this task then your own
children are required to take second place.

Still, help is at hand:
http://www.gidore.com/mixed-race-hai...xed-race-hair/

--
Every Dog Has His Day

Nick Leverton July 7th 12 01:55 PM

Martin Edwards wrote:
On 06/07/2012 08:40, 77002 wrote:
On Jul 6, 8:28 am, Nick wrote:

wrote:
My understanding is that, in the UK, there is a shortage of adoptive
parents at the moment (ie a surplus of children). The choice, then,

I bet I can guess where a lot of those kids come from and why nobody
wants to adopt them.

Your guess is?

It's these unnatural and irresponsible gay marriages, producing unwanted
children left, right and centre ...

The average is 2.2 per couple, bright and cheerful, or not. My spouse
and I were gay enough to produce four. There is nothing unatural
about being bright and cheerful whatever the liberals tell you.

Bleeeeeeeh!

I think our friend seems to be confused, there's nothing unnatural about
being gay ...

Nick

e27002 July 7th 12 02:46 PM

Labour backs plans to return railway network to public control - Guardian/Observer

On Jul 7, 2:55*pm, Nick Leverton wrote:
In article ,
Martin Edwards wrote:

On 06/07/2012 08:40, 77002 wrote:
On Jul 6, 8:28 am, Nick *wrote:

* *wrote:
My understanding is that, in the UK, there is a shortage of adoptive
parents at the moment (ie a surplus of children). *The choice, then,

I bet I can guess where a lot of those kids come from and why nobody
wants to adopt them.

Your guess is?

It's these unnatural and irresponsible gay marriages, producing unwanted
children left, right and centre ...

The average is 2.2 per couple, bright and cheerful, or not. *My spouse
and I were gay enough to produce four. *There is nothing unatural
about being bright and cheerful whatever the liberals tell you.

Bleeeeeeeh!

I think our friend seems to be confused, there's nothing unnatural about
being gay ...

Agreed, being bright and cheerful should be the norm. Clearly during
times of mourning, one would be subdued.

Charles Ellson July 8th 12 12:55 AM

wrote:
My understanding is that, in the UK, there is a shortage of adoptive
parents at the moment (ie a surplus of children). The choice, then,

I bet I can guess where a lot of those kids come from and why nobody
wants to adopt them.

Your guess is?

It's these unnatural and irresponsible gay marriages, producing unwanted
children left, right and centre ...

Nick

Well, in today's Daily Telegraph, under the heading: "Proud Supporter
Clegg flies the flag in Whitehall for Gay Pride weekend" it shows,
amongst others, a picture of "Mary Portas 'Queen of Shops' with her
pregnant partner Melanie Rickie...".

That took some balls...

They only need to borrow the use of one from a friend.

Martin Edwards[_2_] July 8th 12 06:41 AM

wrote:
My understanding is that, in the UK, there is a shortage of adoptive
parents at the moment (ie a surplus of children). The choice, then,

I bet I can guess where a lot of those kids come from and why nobody
wants to adopt them.

Your guess is?

It's these unnatural and irresponsible gay marriages, producing unwanted
children left, right and centre ...

Nick

Well, in today's Daily Telegraph, under the heading: "Proud Supporter
Clegg flies the flag in Whitehall for Gay Pride weekend" it shows,
amongst others, a picture of "Mary Portas 'Queen of Shops' with her
pregnant partner Melanie Rickie...".

That took some balls...

But whose we will never know.

Bruce[_2_] July 8th 12 08:08 PM

wrote:
My understanding is that, in the UK, there is a shortage of adoptive
parents at the moment (ie a surplus of children). The choice, then,

I bet I can guess where a lot of those kids come from and why nobody
wants to adopt them.

Your guess is?

It's these unnatural and irresponsible gay marriages, producing unwanted
children left, right and centre ...

Nick

Well, in today's Daily Telegraph, under the heading: "Proud Supporter
Clegg flies the flag in Whitehall for Gay Pride weekend" it shows,
amongst others, a picture of "Mary Portas 'Queen of Shops' with her
pregnant partner Melanie Rickie...".

That took some balls...

They only need to borrow the use of one from a friend.

.... and a turkey baster.

[email protected] July 9th 12 09:00 AM

Labour backs plans to return railway network to public control

On Sun, 08 Jul 2012 07:41:45 +0100
Martin Edwards wrote:
Well, in today's Daily Telegraph, under the heading: "Proud Supporter
Clegg flies the flag in Whitehall for Gay Pride weekend" it shows,
amongst others, a picture of "Mary Portas 'Queen of Shops' with her
pregnant partner Melanie Rickie...".

That took some balls...

But whose we will never know.

Hopefully the kid will one day and they don't try and keep him in their little
fantasy land of 2 mothers and no father being normal.

B2003

77002 July 9th 12 11:42 AM

Martin Edwards wrote:
Well, in today's Daily Telegraph, under the heading: "Proud Supporter
Clegg flies the flag in Whitehall for Gay Pride weekend" it shows,
amongst others, a picture of "Mary Portas 'Queen of Shops' with her
pregnant partner Melanie Rickie...".

That took some balls...

But whose we will never know.

Hopefully the kid will one day and they don't try and keep him in their little
fantasy land of 2 mothers and no father being normal.

Is it not the case that folks now have the legal right to know whom
are his, or her, natural parents?

[email protected] July 9th 12 12:56 PM

Labour backs plans to return railway network to public control

Martin Edwards wrote:
Well, in today's Daily Telegraph, under the heading: "Proud Supporter
Clegg flies the flag in Whitehall for Gay Pride weekend" it shows,
amongst others, a picture of "Mary Portas 'Queen of Shops' with her
pregnant partner Melanie Rickie...".

That took some balls...

But whose we will never know.

Hopefully the kid will one day and they don't try and keep him in their l=

ittle
fantasy land of 2 mothers and no father being normal.

Is it not the case that folks now have the legal right to know whom
are his, or her, natural parents?

Probably not until they're 16 or 18 I'd imagine. Assuming the father didn't
request anonymity. But its a bit late by then after they've probably
endured years at school of having the **** taken because of having 2 mummies.
If the gay lobby think gay is seen as normal amongst average teenagers
they're deluded.

B2003

77002 July 9th 12 01:05 PM

Martin Edwards wrote:
[...]

Nearly two decades of two low self esteem women, and no father figure,
is a great start in life for a child.

[email protected] July 9th 12 01:27 PM

Labour backs plans to return railway network to public control

On Mon, 9 Jul 2012 06:05:57 -0700 (PDT)
77002 wrote:
Nearly two decades of two low self esteem women, and no father figure,
is a great start in life for a child.

And we can see what happens when boys don't have an effective father figure
in their lives. Look at all the gangs on any sink estate.

B2003

Mark Robinson July 9th 12 01:44 PM

Labour backs plans to return railway network to public control- Guardian/Observer

On 08/07/2012 21:08, Bruce wrote:

... and a turkey baster.

I thought it were a job.

Cheers

mark-r

ŽiŠardo July 9th 12 02:07 PM

Martin wrote:
Well, in today's Daily Telegraph, under the heading: "Proud Supporter
Clegg flies the flag in Whitehall for Gay Pride weekend" it shows,
amongst others, a picture of "Mary Portas 'Queen of Shops' with her
pregnant partner Melanie Rickie...".

That took some balls...

But whose we will never know.

Hopefully the kid will one day and they don't try and keep him in their little
fantasy land of 2 mothers and no father being normal.

B2003

Given the nature of human procreation it should become obvious after the
child's first couple of biology lessons - unless there's something that
"Mary is trying to keep from us?

--
Moving things in still pictures

[email protected] July 9th 12 02:16 PM

Labour backs plans to return railway network to public control

On Mon, 09 Jul 2012 15:07:45 +0100
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=AEi=A9ardo?= wrote:
Given the nature of human procreation it should become obvious after the
child's first couple of biology lessons - unless there's something that
"Mary is trying to keep from us?

Can you imagine how the child feels when realisation slowly dawns?

B2003

The Real Doctor July 9th 12 03:07 PM

On 01/07/12 00:05, Bruce wrote:
Labour backs plans to return railway network to public control

If only they'd thought of that in 1997. What cretin wrote their
manifesto, eh?

Ian

The Real Doctor July 9th 12 03:09 PM

On 09/07/12 12:42, 77002 wrote:
Is it not the case that folks now have the legal right to know whom
are his, or her, natural parents?

No. They still have to believe what the mother says.

Ian

The Real Doctor July 9th 12 03:11 PM

On 09/07/12 15:16, d wrote:
Can you imagine how the child feels when realisation slowly dawns?

Unconcerned, I expect. It must have been much harder for everyone when
it became clear that Harry was a ginge like his father.

Ian

Charles Ellson July 9th 12 04:23 PM

Labour backs plans to return railway network to public control

On Mon, 09 Jul 2012 16:09:44 +0100, The Real Doctor
wrote:

On 09/07/12 12:42, 77002 wrote:
Is it not the case that folks now have the legal right to know whom
are his, or her, natural parents?

No. They still have to believe what the mother says.

As does the alleged father.

ŽiŠardo July 9th 12 07:02 PM

On 09/07/2012 16:07, The Real Doctor wrote:
On 01/07/12 00:05, Bruce wrote:
Labour backs plans to return railway network to public control

If only they'd thought of that in 1997. What cretin wrote their
manifesto, eh?

Ian

Well, they succeeded with the groundwork by shafting Railtrack by
refusing it funds and then setting up Network Rail by giving 20 times as
much.

--
Moving things in still pictures