Old July 5th 12, 09:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default End of A Stock?

On Sun, 01 Jul 2012 13:15:00 +0100,
wrote:
So, are they gone or not?

4 or 5 running in evening peak on Tuesday (3 July) including fast Aldgate
to Amersham. But not as fast as I think I remember they used to go.

Colin McKenzie

--
Cycling in the UK is about as safe as walking, and helmets don't make it
safer. Make an informed choice - visit

Old July 5th 12, 09:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote:
So, are they gone or not?

4 or 5 running in evening peak on Tuesday (3 July) including fast Aldgate
to Amersham. But not as fast as I think I remember they used to go.

No, the top speed was reduced significantly after the bogies starting
cracking. The new S stock has a higher top speed than the reduced A
stock speed, but still lower than the original A stock speed.
Old July 6th 12, 08:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Jul 5, 10:58*pm, "
wrote:

What are the speeds on some parts of the Central Line's outer extremes?
It certainly felt faster than 35 or 40 miles.

85 km/h, down from 100 km/h since Chancery Lane bogie incident.

Those are the speeds in ATO, apparently rumours suggest can be exceed
in CM.

1992 stock is being rebogied ... methinks they must be a very long way
into that project now ... the original Kawasaki bogies are replaced by
new Siemens bogies ... I have no idea either way if 100 km/h will be
reinstated or not.

Don't forget though stock speed is academic as Central Line ATO uses a
speed control system where maximum safe speed for present section and
target speed for next section are commanded from trackside to train.

--
Nick

Old July 16th 12, 08:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sunday, July 1, 2012 12:59:09 AM UTC+1, wrote:
Read on Wikipedia that Saturday was the A stock's last day of revenue
service. Can anybody confirm?

I thought that they were going to keep a few around for nostaglia runs,
similar to the 38s or to the Sarah Siddons.

I rode on an A stock last Monday and I saw one call at Aldgate today.