Old January 21st 04, 03:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Walthamstow Redevelopment

Has anyone got any info regarding the Walthamstow Central Redevelopment ?

Will the tube station get closed when the walkway bus passage is coonected ?

Can't find anything detailed on TFL

Old January 21st 04, 05:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 16:20:03 +0000 (UTC), "simon"
wrote:

Has anyone got any info regarding the Walthamstow Central Redevelopment ?

There is some info on the Waltham Forest council website -
www.lbwf.gov.uk

I doubt it will tell you very much that you don't already know.

Will the tube station get closed when the walkway bus passage is coonected ?

No indication that that will happen but then again it is very clear (to
me) where the subway link will emerge into the station. My guess is half
down the main staircase from the Chingford platform as you head into the
Tube station. However I don't see that as being particularly safe in
terms of congestion management.

The only others places are where the small LUL ticket office is beside
the gates or within the gateline itself but that is perilously close to
the escalator upper machine chamber which I suspect rules it out. The
gates and office would also need to be reconfigured and I've seen no
evidence at all of preliminary works that would need to start now to
allow that to happen.

If the project is simply going to "break through" the wall then I would
expect this will be done at a late stage with all the work progressing
from the bus station side of things. This sort of change will probably
be done in engineering hours or possibly over a weekend with people
diverted via the WAGN entrance for the Liverpool St platforms. If it is
something more substantive then I would imagine a series of small
weekend closures or diversions may become necessary. Without knowing
what the scheme involves it is very hard to say - there has certainly
been no publicity or advance indication that such things might be
necessary.

The bus station itself is moving along better than I expected with a lot
of the building structure in place. The link under the road is slowly
getting filled in as a lot of work was needed to excavate the whole and
then construct the concrete structure that I assume (from the depth)
will have both lifts and escalators constructed within it to get people
up into the bus station.

It's hard to tell if the project is on schedule or not for a May 2004
bus station opening with the link not due until possibly a year later -
the target dates have been very vague indeed.

HTH
--
Paul C