London Banter

-   -   Devolved franchising powers & Leeds Trolleybus (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/13156-devolved-franchising-powers-leeds-trolleybus.html)

[email protected] July 5th 12 02:59 PM

Devolved franchising powers & Leeds Trolleybus

On Thu, 05 Jul 2012 15:21:47 +0100
Paul Corfield wrote:
In separate news the Leeds Trolleybus scheme has been granted the go
ahead and funding.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/news/press-rel...ess-20120705b/

I wonder if they'll keep it cheap and simple and buy a tried and tested
reliable off the shelf system from europe or go with the usual "the UK
operating enviroment is a special case so we need to design everything from
scratch" idiocy?

B2003

Stephen Allcroft July 5th 12 03:12 PM

Paul Corfield wrote:
In separate news the Leeds Trolleybus scheme has been granted the go
ahead and funding.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/news/press-rel...ess-20120705b/

I wonder if they'll keep it cheap and simple and buy a tried and tested
reliable off the shelf system from europe or go with the usual "the UK
operating enviroment is a special case so we need to design everything from
scratch" idiocy?

B2003

....They could go for the ultra cheap option of buying the fleet from
Sandtoft and getting an access derogation on heritage grounds.

Theo Markettos July 5th 12 06:10 PM

In uk.railway d wrote:
I wonder if they'll keep it cheap and simple and buy a tried and tested
reliable off the shelf system from europe or go with the usual "the UK
operating enviroment is a special case so we need to design everything from
scratch" idiocy?

Well, they'll need some degree of customisation to be right hand drive,
though looks like Wellington have some spa
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolleybuses_in_Wellington

Theo

Alistair Gunn July 6th 12 05:38 PM

Devolved franchising powers & Leeds Trolleybus

In uk.railway d twisted the electrons to say:
I wonder if they'll keep it cheap and simple and buy a tried and tested
reliable off the shelf system from europe or go with the usual "the UK
operating enviroment is a special case so we need to design everything from
scratch" idiocy?

I thought the usual UK idiocy was to say you where going to buy off the
shelf to keep costs down, but then to insist on the product being
customised to meet local needs?