Old September 6th 12, 08:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.driving

Default North circ water main burst

Drove past what looked like a bomb crater this morning. I've never seen such
a big hole in a major road before that wasn't part of some planned works.
It was the diameter of a tipper truck judging by one parked next to it.

I heard on the news that they might have to replace the tarmac on some of the
rest of the road. Why? It can cope with heavy rain so whats different about
mains water?

B2003

Old September 6th 12, 08:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.driving

In article , wrote:
Drove past what looked like a bomb crater this morning. I've never seen such
a big hole in a major road before that wasn't part of some planned works.
It was the diameter of a tipper truck judging by one parked next to it.

I heard on the news that they might have to replace the tarmac on some of the
rest of the road. Why? It can cope with heavy rain so whats different about
mains water?

It comes up from under the ground instead of down from above ?

Nick
Old September 6th 12, 09:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.driving

On Thu, 6 Sep 2012 08:48:23 +0000 (UTC)
Nick Leverton wrote:
In article , wrote:
Drove past what looked like a bomb crater this morning. I've never seen such
a big hole in a major road before that wasn't part of some planned works.
It was the diameter of a tipper truck judging by one parked next to it.

I heard on the news that they might have to replace the tarmac on some of the
rest of the road. Why? It can cope with heavy rain so whats different about
mains water?

It comes up from under the ground instead of down from above ?

Maybe, but if it had done that you would expect to see the tarmac already
lifted off and the whole road closed.

B2003

Old September 6th 12, 09:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.driving

In message , at 08:44:53 on Thu, 6 Sep
2012, d remarked:
I heard on the news that they might have to replace the tarmac on some of the
rest of the road. Why? It can cope with heavy rain so whats different about
mains water?

Water mains are under high pressure (never seen a film of a decapitated
fire hydrant?) and therefore are prone to wash out considerable amounts
of soil under the road, before it eventually collapses into the hole.

Old September 6th 12, 04:32 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Which has already happened. I'm just wondering about the rest of the road
they claim they need to resurface. It seemed happy coping with HGVs this
morning so there can't be much wrong with it. Perhaps they're just erring on
the side of caution.

B2003
The news this evening is that all three lanes will be re-opened tomorrow -
which is more than TfL will say about the A13 at Canning Town where
a lane has been coned off quite unnecessarily all week.
Old September 7th 12, 08:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

which is more than TfL will say about the A13 at Canning Town where
a lane has been coned off quite unnecessarily all week.

Is this in addition to the Westbound lane which was planned for closure
for the Games (ie until 11 Sep)?
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Old September 7th 12, 08:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 6 Sep 2012 17:32:14 +0100
Robin9 wrote:
;132650 Wrote:

Which has already happened. I'm just wondering about the rest of the
road
they claim they need to resurface. It seemed happy coping with HGVs
this
morning so there can't be much wrong with it. Perhaps they're just
erring on
the side of caution.

B2003

The news this evening is that all three lanes will be re-opened tomorrow

Yes, it seems they didn't need to resurface after all. I must say they did
a damn good job to fill in that crater and get the road opened by this morning.

which is more than TfL will say about the A13 at Canning Town where
a lane has been coned off quite unnecessarily all week.

Paralympic nonsense perhaps? For some reason best known to themselves TfL
cordoned off one lane of the north circ at the neasdon ikea turnoff during the
olympics. Quite what the point of that was I suspect will only ever be known
to the wonks who ordered it.

B2003

Old September 8th 12, 06:11 AM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

I assume TfL will pretend that the lane closure had something to do with
the Olympics but any experienced TfL observer will know that frustrating
and annoying motorists has always been TfL's favourite pasttime.

They've done the same thing this week on the A12 at Hackney Marshes.
The exit lanes at the Lea Interchange are Olympic Lanes but the
continuing lanes are not. So TfL coned off one of the two continuing
lanes and created a mega tail-back - with of course commensurate
air pollution - for no purpose at all . . . . except to annoy and frustrate
motorists. It certainly did not help the Olympics at all.

In addition, this week TfL have been playing around with traffic light phasing.
Presumably they'll pretend that was done to facilitate the Olympics. At
the Green Man Roundabout in Leytonstone, which is a large roundabout,
three lanes wide, the lights have been re-phased to allow only three
vehicles per cycle to enter the roundabout. The result is that the
roundabout is empty and therefore working at way below its capacity
while all the approach roads are clogged up. The entire length of
Whipps Cross Road has been solid, impeding access to the hospital
and blocking the Whipps Cross roundabout.