London Banter

-   -   S stock (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/13279-s-stock.html)

[email protected] October 30th 12 08:59 AM

S stock

Was it really necessary for the body to taper in so severely at floor level?
I realise the lower floor means it has to be cut back for curved platforms
but it leaves a huge potentially dangerous gap at certain stations. Was it
really worth it just for those mythical wheelchair users who don't exist?

B2003

Recliner[_2_] October 30th 12 11:52 AM

S stock

On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 09:59:06 +0000 (UTC), d
wrote:

Was it really necessary for the body to taper in so severely at floor level?
I realise the lower floor means it has to be cut back for curved platforms
but it leaves a huge potentially dangerous gap at certain stations. Was it
really worth it just for those mythical wheelchair users who don't exist?

I'd rather have the low floor and a platform gap than vice versa.

Bruce[_2_] October 30th 12 12:11 PM

S stock

wrote:

Was it really necessary for the body to taper in so severely at floor level?
I realise the lower floor means it has to be cut back for curved platforms
but it leaves a huge potentially dangerous gap at certain stations. Was it
really worth it just for those mythical wheelchair users who don't exist?

I'd rather have the low floor and a platform gap than vice versa.

I'd like to know why someone would use a "mythical wheelchair" when
even the real ones are far from satisfactory.

Paul Scott[_3_] October 30th 12 12:16 PM

S stock

wrote in message
Was it really necessary for the body to taper in so severely at floor
level?
I realise the lower floor means it has to be cut back for curved platforms
but it leaves a huge potentially dangerous gap at certain stations. Was it
really worth it just for those mythical wheelchair users who don't exist?

The aim was to build a 'go-anywhere' common stock for all the SSR routes,
not just the Met. Once the A, C and D stock have all been replaced perhaps
they'll be altering the stepping distances at various stations?

There will always be certain stations where a compromise height/gap is
needed though, eg where tube gauge stock or NR stock uses the same
platforms.

Paul S

[email protected] October 30th 12 12:57 PM

S stock

On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 13:16:57 -0000
"Paul Scott" wrote:
wrote in message
Was it really necessary for the body to taper in so severely at floor
level?
I realise the lower floor means it has to be cut back for curved platforms
but it leaves a huge potentially dangerous gap at certain stations. Was it
really worth it just for those mythical wheelchair users who don't exist?

The aim was to build a 'go-anywhere' common stock for all the SSR routes,
not just the Met. Once the A, C and D stock have all been replaced perhaps
they'll be altering the stepping distances at various stations?

Stepping distances?

There will always be certain stations where a compromise height/gap is
needed though, eg where tube gauge stock or NR stock uses the same
platforms.

Well at aldwych the friend I was with almost slipped onto the tracks because
of the huge gap to the platform. It wasn't funny and it would probably be
bloody dangerous for someone with impaired vision if they didn't know about
it.

B2003

Paul Scott[_3_] October 30th 12 01:00 PM

S stock

"Paul Scott" wrote in message
wrote in message
Was it really necessary for the body to taper in so severely at floor
level?
I realise the lower floor means it has to be cut back for curved
platforms
but it leaves a huge potentially dangerous gap at certain stations. Was
it
really worth it just for those mythical wheelchair users who don't exist?

The aim was to build a 'go-anywhere' common stock for all the SSR routes,
not just the Met. Once the A, C and D stock have all been replaced
perhaps they'll be altering the stepping distances at various stations?

I've now found a report (in the archived version of the DfT website) that
includes the plans for work on the 'Met' S8 stations. It definitely seems
to be a work that's still in progress, caused mainly by the multiple stock
types in use on the various bits of the line.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.g...olitanline.pdf

It's the last section, starting at page 40 of the pdf...

Paul S

Basil Jet[_3_] October 30th 12 01:40 PM

S stock

On 2012\10\30 13:57, d wrote:

Well at aldwych the friend I was with almost slipped onto the tracks because
of the huge gap to the platform. It wasn't funny and it would probably be
bloody dangerous for someone with impaired vision if they didn't know about
it.

That is huge gap is caused by the station being closed since 1994.

[email protected] October 30th 12 01:48 PM

S stock

On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 14:40:02 +0000
Basil Jet wrote:
On 2012\10\30 13:57, d wrote:

Well at aldwych the friend I was with almost slipped onto the tracks because
of the huge gap to the platform. It wasn't funny and it would probably be
bloody dangerous for someone with impaired vision if they didn't know about
it.

That is huge gap is caused by the station being closed since 1994.

:o) Yes, sorry , meant aldgate! I suspect S stock might have other issues
in aldwych other than platform gaps.

B2003

Neil Williams October 30th 12 06:52 PM

S stock

"Paul Scott" wrote:
wrote in message
Was it really necessary for the body to taper in so severely at floor
level?
I realise the lower floor means it has to be cut back for curved platforms
but it leaves a huge potentially dangerous gap at certain stations. Was it
really worth it just for those mythical wheelchair users who don't exist?

The aim was to build a 'go-anywhere' common stock for all the SSR routes,
not just the Met. Once the A, C and D stock have all been replaced perhaps
they'll be altering the stepping distances at various stations?

Stepping distances?

Move the coping stones on the platform. You couldn't do that with A stock
still running, at Euston Square there wasn't much of a gap to mind - about
half an inch if that.

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK. Put first name before the at to reply.

Ken Wheatley November 3rd 12 10:22 AM

S stock

On 2012-10-30 14:48:31 +0000, d said:

On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 14:40:02 +0000
Basil Jet wrote:
On 2012\10\30 13:57,
d wrote:

Well at aldwych the friend I was with almost slipped onto the tracks because
of the huge gap to the platform. It wasn't funny and it would probably be
bloody dangerous for someone with impaired vision if they didn't know about
it.

That is huge gap is caused by the station being closed since 1994.

:o) Yes, sorry , meant aldgate! I suspect S stock might have other issues
in aldwych other than platform gaps.

B2003

The platforms at Aldgate are on such a tight curve I doubt anything
much can be done to alleviate the situation.