Old January 2nd 13, 07:19 PM
Junior Member

Default 18+ Student Oystercard problem

Tried to purchase a monthly travelcard with my student Oyster recently, which expires in October 2013 btw. The ticket machine displayed the full price and not the student discount. Tried logging in and purchasing at home to check it wasn't an error and it still gives the full price. What can I do?

Old January 3rd 13, 12:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

--
jedy

Oyster online has never been able to sell discounted season tickets
(it does now advise that on the entry page and, I think, during the
purchase process).
Some National Rail machines default to the adult price and require you
to select the discount.
If you take your card to a Tube station ticket office or Travel
Information Centre (Victoria, King's Cross, Liverpool Street, Euston),
they will check whether your discount is still set correctly.
Old January 3rd 13, 12:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jan 3, 1:45*pm, Jack wrote:
On Jan 2, 8:19*pm, jedy wrote:

Tried to purchase a monthly travelcard with my student Oyster recently,
which expires in October 2013 btw. The ticket machine displayed the full
price and not the student discount. Tried logging in and purchasing at
home to check it wasn't an error and it still gives the full price. What
can I do?

--
jedy

Oyster online has never been able to sell discounted season tickets
(it does now advise that on the entry page and, I think, during the
purchase process).
Some National Rail machines default to the adult price and require you
to select the discount.
If you take your card to a Tube station ticket office or Travel
Information Centre (Victoria, King's Cross, Liverpool Street, Euston),
they will check whether your discount is still set correctly.

Or you can call the Oyster helpline on 0845 330 9876. They are open
8-8 every day.
Old January 3rd 13, 03:30 PM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedy View Post
Tried to purchase a monthly travelcard with my student Oyster recently, which expires in October 2013 btw. The ticket machine displayed the full price and not the student discount. Tried logging in and purchasing at home to check it wasn't an error and it still gives the full price. What can I do?
Student discounts tend not to be available for the season tickets in my experience. If it proves otherwise let me know, but in my experience the student card is not valid for a monthly pass.
Old January 5th 13, 10:10 PM
Junior Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_boyce0206 View Post
Student discounts tend not to be available for the season tickets in my experience. If it proves otherwise let me know, but in my experience the student card is not valid for a monthly pass.
With a student Oystercard you can get 30% of travelcards, i.e. weekly/monthly/annual - this is verified on the oyster pricing part of the tfl website. PAYG is not discounted. I've been getting discounts since October 2011.

Just to let you know people, the ticket machine at an underground station is giving me the discount (thank goodness!!). Don't know why the train station one isn't. I had it in mind to talk to a ticket officer at a station but tried the ticket machine first. Thanks for the help!