London Banter

-   -   BBC featu Tube 150th anniversary: Families with the Underground in their blood (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/13365-bbc-feature-tube-150th-anniversary.html)

Recliner[_2_] January 7th 13 11:20 AM

BBC featu Tube 150th anniversary: Families with the Underground in their blood

From: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-20837356

Extract:
"As the Tube prepares to mark its 150th anniversary on Thursday, BBC
News talks to London Underground employees whose family histories have
become intertwined with the rail network's.

"If they give me a chance to jump on the footplate, I would,"
92-year-old Harry Robinson says as he looks forward to a long-awaited
reunion.

He is sitting under a large painting of Metropolitan Locomotive 1, an
1898 steam engine which he last drove in 1960 on the Chesham branch of
the Metropolitan Line.

Mr Robinson, from Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, one of the last drivers
of a steam train, will get to see the engine again on 13 January when
the first Tube journey of 1863 is recreated. But this time he will be
a passenger.

He retired from the Underground in 1984 but wants to at least be in
the driver's cab on the anniversary journey."