London Banter

-   -   Daily Telegraph: 150 fascinating Tube facts (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/13369-daily-telegraph-150-fascinating-tube.html)

Roland Perry January 11th 13 07:16 AM

Daily Telegraph: 150 fascinating Tube facts

In message , at 23:12:30 on Thu, 10
Jan 2013, Clive D. W. Feather remarked:

21. The station with the most platforms is Baker Street with 10 (Moorgate
also has 10 platforms but only six are used by Tube trains - others are
used by overground trains).

How about Waterloo, with 26?

They mean "station managed by LU, with the most platforms".

70. The first section of the Underground ran between Paddington (Bishop's
Road) and Farringdon Street. The same section now forms part of the Circle,
Hammersmith & City, and Metropolitan lines.

Not the Met.

According to TfL:

"The Metropolitan line runs from Aldgate to Amersham, with branches to
Chesham, Uxbridge and Watford covering 66.7km (41.5 miles)."

Or are you being pedantic about the Baker St-Paddington bit?

Paul Cummins[_5_] January 11th 13 08:06 AM

Daily Telegraph: 150 fascinating Tube facts

We were about to embark at Dover, when
(Recliner) came up to me and whispered:

Are you seriously suggesting they should have celebrated the 150th

anniversary of a bit of unimportant Essex railway seven years ago?

No, but it is a bit disingenuous to do the same for a bit of unimportant
London railway now...

And anyway, what about the bits of "old" formation re-used by Docklands
and Tramlink... I don't see their 150th being celebrated.

The "tube" as we know it did not exist until 1933.

--
Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
Wasting Bandwidth since 1981

---- If it's below this line, I didn't write it ----

[email protected] January 11th 13 08:52 AM

Daily Telegraph: 150 fascinating Tube facts

On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 19:52:04 +0000
Paul Corfield wrote:
I've certainly seen some people - old and young - really struggle to
coordinate their arms and legs to get on and off an escalator. They
almost cause accidents through their hesitancy.

Most women seem almost completely incapable of walking off the end of an
escalator normally.

B2003

[email protected] January 11th 13 08:54 AM

Daily Telegraph: 150 fascinating Tube facts

In article ,
(Paul Cummins) wrote:

We were about to embark at Dover, when

(Recliner) came up to me and whispered:

Yes, but the London Underground (and the "Tube") is understood
to include the predecessor companies.

The entity known as London Underground now, the forerunner of which was
London Electric Railways (clue in the name) did not run steam services.

The Metropolitan Railway was always an independent line until 1933, when
it was finally subsumed. LER (London Underground, or "the Tube") never
ran underground steam services.

And anyway, technically, the first underground service was run not by LUL
or it's forerunners, but by FGW and it's forerunners.

If you only include the Met, then even the original 1863 route
isn't all part of the current Met line,

No, but it is part of the Hammersmith and City, so that is the "line"
that is celebrating it's 150th.

and so you presumably regard the upcoming steam runs as
bogus?

To a certain extent, ALL steam runs on commercial lines are now "bogus" -
doesn't stop them being either newsworthy or fun.

You are wrong saying the Metropolitan Railway was always an independent line
until 1933. Although the ownership was separate, it always ran the Inner
Circle jointly with the MDR.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] January 11th 13 10:00 AM

Daily Telegraph: 150 fascinating Tube facts

In article , (Clive D.
W. Feather) wrote:

In message , Clive D. W. Feather
wrote:
6. Many tube stations were used as air-raid shelters during the Second
World War, but the Central Line was even converted into a fighter
aircraft factory that stretched for over two miles, with its own railway
system. Its existence remained an official secret until the 1980s.

That would be why it's mentioned in the 1947 "A History of London
Transport", then.

Typo: that should have said "1974".

I have here a 1971 reprint of "The story of London's Underground", published
in 1963, second revision 1969. It includes a photo of the Plessey
underground factory as plate 35.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] January 11th 13 10:00 AM

(Paul Cummins) wrote:

The "tube" as we know it did not exist until 1933.

It depends what you mean by "tube". If the Underground system it began in
1863. If the true tubes, then in 1890.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Recliner[_2_] January 11th 13 10:17 AM

Daily Telegraph: 150 fascinating Tube facts

wrote:
In article , (Clive D.
W. Feather) wrote:

In message , Clive D. W. Feather
wrote:
6. Many tube stations were used as air-raid shelters during the Second
World War, but the Central Line was even converted into a fighter
aircraft factory that stretched for over two miles, with its own railway
system. Its existence remained an official secret until the 1980s.

That would be why it's mentioned in the 1947 "A History of London
Transport", then.

Typo: that should have said "1974".

I have here a 1971 reprint of "The story of London's Underground", published
in 1963, second revision 1969. It includes a photo of the Plessey
underground factory as plate 35.

Did some aspect of its work remain secret until the 1980s? I must admit, I
can't imagine why it would have done. It's not as if they were making
equipment for Bletchley Park (or were they)?

Kai Borgolte January 11th 13 02:59 PM

Daily Telegraph: 150 fascinating Tube facts

Am 11.01.2013 00:12, schrieb Clive D. W. Feather:

147. A 2011 study suggested 30 per cent of passengers take longer routes
due to the out-of-scale distances on the Tube map.

I'm very skeptical of that claim.

It may be true for the isolated case Paddington to Bond Street via Baker
Street/Notting Hill Gate: "Although the second route is considerably
slower (by about 15 per cent), some 30 per cent of travellers chose it,
Professor Guo found."
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2000847/30-passengers-longer-routes-Londons-Tube-map-misrepresents-distances-stations.html
--
Kai Borgolte, Bonn

Roland Perry January 11th 13 03:24 PM

Daily Telegraph: 150 fascinating Tube facts

In message , at 16:59:18 on Fri, 11
Jan 2013, Kai Borgolte remarked:
147. A 2011 study suggested 30 per cent of passengers take longer routes
due to the out-of-scale distances on the Tube map.

I'm very skeptical of that claim.

It may be true for the isolated case Paddington to Bond Street via
Baker Street/Notting Hill Gate: "Although the second route is
considerably slower (by about 15 per cent), some 30 per cent of
travellers chose it, Professor Guo found."
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2000847/30-passengers-longer-routes-Londons-Tube-map-misrepresents-distances-stations.html

As there's a sidebar with nine of the other "fascinating facts" in that
article I think we can conclude it's the source of the 30% figure.

However, it's by no means clear if the 30% is an overall figure (as
suggested at the start of the article)

"Experts who have studied the network, which has been growing
since 1863 when the Metropolitan line opened, have found that as
much as 30 per cent of the network's passengers take the 'wrong'
- or longer - route between two stations."

Or simply conflated with the figure from the later 'illustration' of
Paddington to Bond St.

So we'd have to read the full study (which does seem to be more than
just a handful of trips).

tim..... January 11th 13 05:20 PM

"Kai Borgolte" wrote in message
Am 11.01.2013 00:12, schrieb Clive D. W. Feather:

147. A 2011 study suggested 30 per cent of passengers take longer routes
due to the out-of-scale distances on the Tube map.

I'm very skeptical of that claim.

It may be true for the isolated case Paddington to Bond Street via Baker
Street/Notting Hill Gate: "Although the second route is considerably
slower (by about 15 per cent), some 30 per cent of travellers chose it,
Professor Guo found."

I don't see that he can conclude that it's got anything to do with the
journey "looking" shorted. In the case of catching a train from Padd it
could easily be because access to the circle line platforms is simpler.

Here's another one:

What's the optimum route from Waterloo to King's Cross? The shortest route
on the ground (whichever way that is) or the cross platform connection at
Oxford Circus? And does knowledge about that connection make pax who go
this way count as the "wrong way" or does lack of
knowledge about the connection make pax who go another way count as the
"wrong way"?

tim

Basil Jet[_3_] January 11th 13 05:22 PM

On 2013\01\11 09:52, d wrote:

Most women seem almost completely incapable of walking off the end of an
escalator normally.

Most women or most women in high heels?

Peter Smyth January 11th 13 05:34 PM

Daily Telegraph: 150 fascinating Tube facts

"David Walters" wrote in message

On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 13:16:08 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:
In message , at 11:10:49 on
Thu, 10 Jan 2013, David Walters remarked:

125. Nineteen stations just use lifts.

They have stairs as well.

A list I've been looking for but haven't been able to find is stations,
or platforms really, that don't have publicly accessible stairs.

I've always understood that every station with "only" lifts also has
emergency stairs (that may not be well signposted for regular use). And
also some stations still have the stairs despite now being fitted with
escalators (TCR springs to mind).

I think that is true but some stations have escalators and no fixed
stairs, assuming everything is working. The stairs at Angel still seem to
be present but I think I'd cause a disturbance if I exited the platforms
that way.

If you have a desire to avoid lifts and escalators then a lot of the
underground is off limits and it is very hard to plan a route with
available information.

http://www.directenquiries.com/londo...d.aspx?tbclr=1
is useful for this sort of thing.

Peter Smyth

Peter Smyth January 11th 13 05:43 PM

Daily Telegraph: 150 fascinating Tube facts

"Kai Borgolte" wrote in message ...

Am 11.01.2013 00:12, schrieb Clive D. W. Feather:

147. A 2011 study suggested 30 per cent of passengers take longer routes
due to the out-of-scale distances on the Tube map.

I'm very skeptical of that claim.

It may be true for the isolated case Paddington to Bond Street via Baker
Street/Notting Hill Gate: "Although the second route is considerably slower
(by about 15 per cent), some 30 per cent of travellers chose it, Professor
Guo found."
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2000847/30-passengers-longer-routes-Londons-Tube-map-misrepresents-distances-stations.html

And someone who ignores Paddington station completely and walks to Lancaster
Gate has a good chance of beating both of them.

Peter Smyth

Edward Cowling[_2_] January 11th 13 05:57 PM

Daily Telegraph: 150 fascinating Tube facts

"Recliner" wrote in message
The Telegraph has compiled a list of 150 "Tube facts" to go with the
anniversary. Most will be known to the well informed members of this
group,
but some may not be, and some are bound to be disputed. Here's their list:

Thanks for posting this, some great trivia :-)

--
Edward Cowling North London UK
http://twitter.com/gnilwoce

Arthur Figgis January 11th 13 06:07 PM

On 11/01/2013 09:06, Paul Cummins wrote:
We were about to embark at Dover, when
(Recliner) came up to me and whispered:

Are you seriously suggesting they should have celebrated the 150th

anniversary of a bit of unimportant Essex railway seven years ago?

No, but it is a bit disingenuous to do the same for a bit of unimportant
London railway now...

And anyway, what about the bits of "old" formation re-used by Docklands
and Tramlink... I don't see their 150th being celebrated.

While not celebrated as lavishly, ISTR there was some awareness of the
200th anniversary of bits of what is now Tramlink.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

[email protected] January 11th 13 06:50 PM

Daily Telegraph: 150 fascinating Tube facts

On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 18:22:30 +0000
Basil Jet wrote:
On 2013\01\11 09:52, d wrote:

Most women seem almost completely incapable of walking off the end of an
escalator normally.

Most women or most women in high heels?

Most women regardless of footwear if the ones who use the tube are anything
to go by.

B2003

Clive D. W. Feather[_2_] January 11th 13 07:22 PM

Daily Telegraph: 150 fascinating Tube facts

In message , Paul
Cummins wrote:
On that basis, surely the "Tube" is 157 years old, as parts of the
Central Line were first operated in 1856.

Or perhaps you would prefer it to be 1858, the start date of service over
part of the Hammersmith and City?

How about 1837, when at least one station on the Bakerloo Line was
opened?

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Mobile: +44 7973 377646 | Web: http://www.davros.org

Roland Perry January 11th 13 07:23 PM

Daily Telegraph: 150 fascinating Tube facts

In message , at 18:20:45 on Fri, 11
Jan 2013, tim..... remarked:

147. A 2011 study suggested 30 per cent of passengers take longer routes
due to the out-of-scale distances on the Tube map.

I'm very skeptical of that claim.

It may be true for the isolated case Paddington to Bond Street via
Baker Street/Notting Hill Gate: "Although the second route is
considerably slower (by about 15 per cent), some 30 per cent of
travellers chose it, Professor Guo found."

I don't see that he can conclude that it's got anything to do with the
journey "looking" shorted.

That's what academics do - they study things and come to conclusions.

In the case of catching a train from Padd it could easily be because
access to the circle line platforms is simpler.

Erm, both routes he was comparing were from the Circle platforms.

Here's another one:

What's the optimum route from Waterloo to King's Cross?

Well known to be via Oxford Circus. Because of the cross-platform
change.

The shortest route on the ground (whichever way that is)

Did you read the article *at all*? Hint: it includes a geographic map as
well.

ps The shortest route on the ground is probably via Leicester Square
(second shortest via Warren St) in both cases the Beck map quite closely
resembling the geographic one.

Clive D. W. Feather[_2_] January 11th 13 07:24 PM

Daily Telegraph: 150 fascinating Tube facts

In message , Roland Perry
wrote:
6.35km according to official measurements.

I assume you mean the railway, not the road.

Yes.

So that's 3.95 miles. Is the 0.06 mile (about 320ft) something to do
with which end of the platform they are measuring from?

Shrug. 6.35 would be mid-point at Chalfont to the buffer stop at
Chesham.

Clive D. W. Feather[_2_] January 11th 13 07:25 PM

wrote:
70. The first section of the Underground ran between Paddington (Bishop's
Road) and Farringdon Street. The same section now forms part of the Circle,
Hammersmith & City, and Metropolitan lines.

Not the Met.

According to TfL:

"The Metropolitan line runs from Aldgate to Amersham, with branches to
Chesham, Uxbridge and Watford covering 66.7km (41.5 miles)."

Or are you being pedantic about the Baker St-Paddington bit?

Yes. That section now forms part of the Circle and Hammersmith & City
Lines, and parts of that section now form part of the District and
Metropolitan Lines.

[email protected] January 11th 13 10:38 PM

wrote:
[...]

Unless you want to interchange between lines. I looked at Oxford Circus but
could only get information between platform and street.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Offramp January 12th 13 08:02 AM

Daily Telegraph: 150 fascinating Tube facts

What was the point? Where did it go?

Recliner[_2_] January 12th 13 10:07 AM

Offramp wrote:
What was the point? Where did it go?

Presumably Harrow & Wealdstone, on the Brum to Euston line.

tim..... January 12th 13 12:31 PM

Daily Telegraph: 150 fascinating Tube facts

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 18:20:45 on Fri, 11 Jan
2013, tim..... remarked:

147. A 2011 study suggested 30 per cent of passengers take longer
routes
due to the out-of-scale distances on the Tube map.

I'm very skeptical of that claim.

It may be true for the isolated case Paddington to Bond Street via Baker
Street/Notting Hill Gate: "Although the second route is considerably
slower (by about 15 per cent), some 30 per cent of travellers chose it,
Professor Guo found."

I don't see that he can conclude that it's got anything to do with the
journey "looking" shorted.

That's what academics do - they study things and come to conclusions.

Yes, but that doesn't make those conclusions right.

In the case of catching a train from Padd it could easily be because
access to the circle line platforms is simpler.

Erm, both routes he was comparing were from the Circle platforms.

Oh

Who would do that, now that you also have to change at Edgware road?

Surely anyone deciding that "change at Baker St" is the way to go is then
going to seek out the platform that has direct trains. And the circle line
isn't it!

Here's another one:

What's the optimum route from Waterloo to King's Cross?

Well known to be via Oxford Circus. Because of the cross-platform change.

The shortest route on the ground (whichever way that is)

Did you read the article *at all*?

Yes.

Hint: it includes a geographic map as well.

ps The shortest route on the ground is probably via Leicester Square
(second shortest via Warren St) in both cases the Beck map quite closely
resembling the geographic one.

I'm not suggesting otherwise.

I'm only questioning this assertion that the "right" way that people should
choose to go can be usefully constructed from the shortest route on the
ground, and that if they don't do this they have done something wrong.

Surely the "right way" is the quickest including average connection time(s)
regardless of the length of track that is traversed.

Roland Perry January 12th 13 01:31 PM

Daily Telegraph: 150 fascinating Tube facts

In message , at 13:31:19 on Sat, 12
Jan 2013, tim..... remarked:
I don't see that he can conclude that it's got anything to do with
the journey "looking" shorted.

That's what academics do - they study things and come to conclusions.

Yes, but that doesn't make those conclusions right.

But it does mean they are likely to be embarrassed if it's wrong, and
spend more time on the research than the average tabloid journalist.

In the case of catching a train from Padd it could easily be because
access to the circle line platforms is simpler.

Erm, both routes he was comparing were from the Circle platforms.

Oh

Who would do that, now that you also have to change at Edgware road?

Surely anyone deciding that "change at Baker St" is the way to go is
then going to seek out the platform that has direct trains. And the
circle line isn't it!

Perhaps the journalist (not the academic) got the map wrong. Like much
of the rest of this report, plenty has got lost in the retelling.

The shortest route on the ground (whichever way that is)

Did you read the article *at all*?

Yes.

Hint: it includes a geographic map as well.

ps The shortest route on the ground is probably via Leicester Square
(second shortest via Warren St) in both cases the Beck map quite
closely resembling the geographic one.

I'm not suggesting otherwise.

The "whichever" above implies you weren't sure (or hadn't looked).

I'm only questioning this assertion that the "right" way that people
should choose to go can be usefully constructed from the shortest route
on the ground, and that if they don't do this they have done something
wrong.

Who was asserting that? Via Oxford Circus is not the shortest route.

Surely the "right way" is the quickest including average connection
time(s) regardless of the length of track that is traversed.

Most of the time, yes, but there are other considerations such as
reliability of dwell time (no use if the route is the quickest, but the
connections only work between xx.20 and xx.30 because of the timetable),
how crowded they might be if it's rush hour and so on. I'd also look at
whether the robustness - having a plausible "plan B" if I encounter
disruption en-route.

tim..... January 12th 13 02:26 PM

Daily Telegraph: 150 fascinating Tube facts

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 13:31:19 on Sat, 12 Jan
2013, tim..... remarked:
I don't see that he can conclude that it's got anything to do with the
journey "looking" shorted.

That's what academics do - they study things and come to conclusions.

Yes, but that doesn't make those conclusions right.

But it does mean they are likely to be embarrassed if it's wrong, and
spend more time on the research than the average tabloid journalist.

Surely you've been around long enough to know that all such reports only
come to the conclusion that the writer thinks that his audience wants.

[...]

Who was asserting that?

The article did.

Via Oxford Circus is not the shortest route.

I know, but it is probably the quickest. So in my book, that makes it the
"right" way

tim

Roland Perry January 12th 13 02:53 PM

Daily Telegraph: 150 fascinating Tube facts

In message , at 15:26:17 on Sat, 12
Jan 2013, tim..... remarked:
I'm only questioning this assertion that the "right" way that people
should choose to go can be usefully constructed from the shortest
route on the ground, and that if they don't do this they have done
something wrong.

Who was asserting that?

The article did.

I can't see where. The only discussion of distances "on the ground" is
in terms of making the entire trip on foot, not comparing the track
miles.

Paul Cummins[_5_] January 12th 13 06:51 PM

Daily Telegraph: 150 fascinating Tube facts

We were about to embark at Dover, when (Clive D. W.
Feather) came up to me and whispered:

How about 1837, when at least one station on the Bakerloo Line
was opened?

That one is news to me...

Kai Borgolte January 12th 13 07:21 PM

Am 11.01.2013 17:24, schrieb Roland Perry:

So we'd have to read the full study (which does seem to be more than
just a handful of trips).

ftp://ftp.hsrc.unc.edu/pub/TRB2011/data/papers/11-0419.pdf

Lots of models and coefficients in few pages, but I can't spot the 30
percent result. "The main dataset is the Rolling Origin and Destination
Survey (RODS), conducted by Transport for London (TfL) or its
predecessor organization London Transport from 1998 to 2005. RODS
records travel paths including the access, transfer, and egress stations
for more than 250,000 trips in the Underground network."
-- Kai Borgolte, Bonn

Recliner[_2_] January 12th 13 07:21 PM

Paul Cummins wrote:
We were about to embark at Dover, when (Clive D. W.
Feather) came up to me and whispered:

How about 1837, when at least one station on the Bakerloo Line
was opened?

That one is news to me...

See my earlier reply.

Roland Perry January 12th 13 08:37 PM

Daily Telegraph: 150 fascinating Tube facts

In message , at 13:31:19 on Sat, 12
Jan 2013, tim..... remarked:

Erm, both routes he was comparing were from the Circle platforms.

Who would do that, now that you also have to change at Edgware road?

A kind person has emailed me the original report, and it was published
in July 2010, based on data collected by LUL from 1998 to 2005 - when
the Circle was still a circle (and not a teacup).

The full report is 22 pages long, but doesn't seem to have "30%" in it
anywhere, although it's full of very jargony/geeky statistics and
terminology.

In terms of "proving what the funders wanted", the main objective
appears to be to investigate why travellers don't make the best
decisions about where to change trains, and how things like the
presentation of the map could be altered to help make their journeys
quicker.

One example that chimes well with me is the way Green Park looks like a
good place to change trains, but isn't (very long walks). It actually
deserves the dumbbell-icons even more than Baker St and Euston, and
about the same as Bank/Monument.

Offramp January 13th 13 02:02 AM

Daily Telegraph: 150 fascinating Tube facts

Changing at Green Park is okay as long as one always changes by going up to ticket hall level and back down.

tim..... January 13th 13 09:44 AM

[...]

perhaps a blow-up map of the central area with walking times between
platforms would be useful (in addition to the current full map, not squeezed
on the same map)

tim

Roland Perry January 13th 13 09:50 AM

Daily Telegraph: 150 fascinating Tube facts

In message , at
19:02:28 on Sat, 12 Jan 2013, Offramp remarked:

Changing at Green Park is okay as long as one always changes by going up to ticket hall level and back down.

Yes, and changing at Warren St is a bit like that too.

Recliner[_2_] January 13th 13 10:28 AM

Daily Telegraph: 150 fascinating Tube facts

On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 19:02:28 -0800 (PST), Offramp
wrote:

Changing at Green Park is okay as long as one always changes by going up to ticket hall level and back down.

Obviously that applies to people changing to/from the Picc. It's a
perfectly good interchange station between the Victoria and Jubilee
lines.

tim..... January 13th 13 11:12 AM

Daily Telegraph: 150 fascinating Tube facts

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at
19:02:28 on Sat, 12 Jan 2013, Offramp remarked:

Changing at Green Park is okay as long as one always changes by going up
to ticket hall level and back down.

Yes, and changing at Warren St is a bit like that too.

no, you only have to go to the "half" landing.

And it's a damned sight shorter that the walk at many other stations.

tim

Roland Perry January 13th 13 11:44 AM

Daily Telegraph: 150 fascinating Tube facts

In message , at 12:12:18 on Sun, 13
Jan 2013, tim..... remarked:
Changing at Green Park is okay as long as one always changes by going
up to ticket hall level and back down.

Yes, and changing at Warren St is a bit like that too.

no, you only have to go to the "half" landing.

That's why it's "a bit" like Green Park, not identical.

Roland Perry January 13th 13 11:49 AM

Daily Telegraph: 150 fascinating Tube facts

In message , at 14:03:57 on
Thu, 10 Jan 2013, David Walters remarked:
If you have a desire to avoid lifts and escalators then a lot of the
underground is off limits and it is very hard to plan a route with
available information.

There's a list of "Stair equipped" stations he

http://www.geofftech.co.uk/tube/facts.html

Arthur Figgis January 13th 13 01:51 PM

On 12/01/2013 15:26, tim..... wrote:

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 13:31:19 on Sat, 12
Jan 2013, tim..... remarked:
I don't see that he can conclude that it's got anything to do with
the journey "looking" shorted.

That's what academics do - they study things and come to conclusions.

Yes, but that doesn't make those conclusions right.

But it does mean they are likely to be embarrassed if it's wrong, and
spend more time on the research than the average tabloid journalist.

Surely you've been around long enough to know that all such reports only
come to the conclusion that the writer thinks that his audience wants.

News reports certainly, but less so with academic studies; or at least
it is a different sense of what the audience wants - "this needs more
research/a grant/rethinking/whatever, rather than "... is the only
language they understand".

I did get hold of a copy of the paper when it came out. Based on my
knowledge of the relevant branch of mathematics, erm, it had some long
words and looked convincing. ISTR the study was supported by TfL.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

[email protected] January 13th 13 01:55 PM

Daily Telegraph: 150 fascinating Tube facts

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at 14:03:57
on Thu, 10 Jan 2013, David Walters remarked:
If you have a desire to avoid lifts and escalators then a lot of the
underground is off limits and it is very hard to plan a route with
available information.

There's a list of "Stair equipped" stations he

http://www.geofftech.co.uk/tube/facts.html

That is very confusing when the information required is whether steps have
to be negotiated to reach platforms as well as or instead of lifts or
escalators.

--
Colin Rosenstiel