Old January 10th 13, 04:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Daily Telegraph: 150 fascinating Tube facts

In message , at 14:03:57 on
Thu, 10 Jan 2013, David Walters remarked:
I've always understood that every station with "only" lifts also has
emergency stairs (that may not be well signposted for regular use). And
also some stations still have the stairs despite now being fitted with
escalators (TCR springs to mind).

I think that is true but some stations have escalators and no fixed
stairs, assuming everything is working. The stairs at Angel still seem to
be present but I think I'd cause a disturbance if I exited the platforms
that way.

I presume those would exit via the original entrance, which is some way
round the corner from the present one.

If you have a desire to avoid lifts and escalators then a lot of the
underground is off limits and it is very hard to plan a route with
available information.

"Stairs only" is an unusual requirement, but I agree that information to
deliver it is hard to find.

Old January 10th 13, 04:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Two policemen have been clearing the roundabout directly above Old Street of tramps. For whatever reason they are Parks Police.
Old January 10th 13, 05:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"David Walters" wrote in message
On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 13:16:08 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:
In message , at 11:10:49 on
Thu, 10 Jan 2013, David Walters remarked:

125. Nineteen stations just use lifts.

They have stairs as well.

A list I've been looking for but haven't been able to find is stations,
or platforms really, that don't have publicly accessible stairs.

I've always understood that every station with "only" lifts also has
emergency stairs (that may not be well signposted for regular use). And
also some stations still have the stairs despite now being fitted with
escalators (TCR springs to mind).

I think that is true but some stations have escalators and no fixed
stairs, assuming everything is working. The stairs at Angel still seem to
be present but I think I'd cause a disturbance if I exited the platforms
that way.

If you have a desire to avoid lifts and escalators then a lot of the
underground is off limits and it is very hard to plan a route with
available information.

I can understand why someone might want to avoid lifts,

But what possible (disability) reason is there for wanting to avoid
escalators but are able to use stairs?

tim

Old January 10th 13, 06:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 18:49:37 -0000, tim..... wrote:

"David Walters" wrote in message
If you have a desire to avoid lifts and escalators then a lot of the
underground is off limits and it is very hard to plan a route with
available information.

I can understand why someone might want to avoid lifts,

But what possible (disability) reason is there for wanting to avoid
escalators but are able to use stairs?

The only disability reason for wanting to avoid lifts I can think of
is claustrophobia. People might equally have a phobia of escalators
(is there a name for that?), they can be fairly dangerous machines and
have removed a toe from a user from time to time. I think that concern
would be better addressed by wearing stout shoes but phobias aren't
always very rational like that.

I have my own slightly silly reasons for wanting to avoid lifts and
escalators. I don't really think TfL should go out of their way to provide
me with information to help but I thought I might find something on the
Internet. So far I haven't.
Old January 10th 13, 08:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 10/01/2013 05:48, Basil Jet wrote:
On 2013\01\09 22:27, Recliner wrote:

36. The eastern extension of the Jubilee line is the only Underground
line
to feature glass screens to deter "jumpers".

No, it's to do with ventilation.

How so?

Old January 10th 13, 08:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 10/01/2013 06:48, Offramp wrote:
On Jan 9, 10:27 pm, Recliner wrote:

6. Many tube stations were used as air-raid shelters during the Second
World War, but the Central Line was even converted into a fighter aircraft
factory that stretched for over two miles, with its own railway system. Its
existence remained an official secret until the 1980s.

Sounds interesting!

10. The longest distance between stations is on the Metropolitan line from
Chesham to Chalfont & Latimer: a total of only 3.89 miles.

Really? Only 3.89?

I personally thought that it was longer than 3.89.

Old January 10th 13, 08:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 21:13:40 on Thu, 10
Jan 2013, " remarked:
10. The longest distance between stations is on the Metropolitan line from
Chesham to Chalfont & Latimer: a total of only 3.89 miles.

Really? Only 3.89?

I personally thought that it was longer than 3.89.

Google maps says it's 4.1 miles by the slightly indirect road.
Old January 10th 13, 08:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 21:11:51 on Thu, 10
Jan 2013, " remarked:
36. The eastern extension of the Jubilee line is the only Underground
line
to feature glass screens to deter "jumpers".

No, it's to do with ventilation.

How so?

By keeping the track alongside the platform part of the same reasonably
airtight tunnel as the rest of the running tracks, avoiding air
'escaping' into the platforms and beyond.
Old January 10th 13, 08:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 10/01/2013 15:17, Recliner wrote:
"Robin" wrote:
snip Oddly, the only politician he criticised was the Labour
transport minister who he said had shut the Ongar line (the politician
in question is rather more famous for her previous career, Glenda
Jackson). In fact, of course, it was closed in 1994, during the Major
administration. Is Bob becoming a closet Tory?

Possibly depends on the meaning of "shut"? I thought services stopped
running in 1994 but that it was not until 1998, when Glenda Jackson was
the junior Minister with responsibility for transport in London, that
the line was sold.

Ah, that explains it. But it had been formally closed before then, hadn't
it?

I wonder if urban sprawl would ever see the EOR operate any sort of
regular service or if TfL would ever consider taking over that section
once again.

Old January 10th 13, 08:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Robin" wrote:
snip Oddly, the only politician he criticised was the Labour
transport minister who he said had shut the Ongar line (the politician
in question is rather more famous for her previous career, Glenda
Jackson). In fact, of course, it was closed in 1994, during the Major
administration. Is Bob becoming a closet Tory?

Possibly depends on the meaning of "shut"? I thought services stopped
running in 1994 but that it was not until 1998, when Glenda Jackson was
the junior Minister with responsibility for transport in London, that
the line was sold.

Ah, that explains it. But it had been formally closed before then, hadn't
it?

I wonder if urban sprawl would ever see the EOR operate any sort of
regular service or if TfL would ever consider taking over that section once again.

Only likely if Green Belt policies are relaxed, leading to a lot more
development in the Ongar area. But, even if that did happen, the Central
line is a pretty slow way to get to central London from that part of Essex.

I'm still pondering over why Bob Crow attacked Labour rather than the
Tories for closing the line. And when asked whether he agreed with one of
Boris's bullish descriptions of London, he couldn't have been moe positive.
No attacks on the concept of driverless trains, or supposed safety issues,
or refusal to meet unions, etc. I doubt that many members of the cabinet
would have been as enthusiastic about Boris and his plans.