Old January 13th 13, 03:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Daily Telegraph: 150 fascinating Tube facts

....And Leicester Square.

Old January 13th 13, 06:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Offramp wrote, in its entirety:
...And Leicester Square.

Mornington Crescent.

Nick
Old January 14th 13, 11:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 13 Jan 2013 12:49:40 +0000, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 14:03:57 on
Thu, 10 Jan 2013, David Walters remarked:
If you have a desire to avoid lifts and escalators then a lot of the
underground is off limits and it is very hard to plan a route with
available information.

There's a list of "Stair equipped" stations he

http://www.geofftech.co.uk/tube/facts.html

I'm not sure that is the list I'm looking for. That page includes
"The follow stations only have escalator access to the platforms" but
I think it doesn't list stations that have lift as well as escalator
access. For example are there stairs, not locked behind emergency doors,
at Canary Wharf?
Old January 14th 13, 12:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 12:30:06 on
Mon, 14 Jan 2013, David Walters remarked:
If you have a desire to avoid lifts and escalators then a lot of the
underground is off limits and it is very hard to plan a route with
available information.

There's a list of "Stair equipped" stations he

http://www.geofftech.co.uk/tube/facts.html

I'm not sure that is the list I'm looking for.

I agree it lacks a certain Venn-foo.

That page includes "The follow stations only have escalator access to
the platforms" but I think it doesn't list stations that have lift as
well as escalator access.

I thought you wanted stair-only. If lifts are also acceptable that moves
the goalposts a bit.

For example are there stairs, not locked behind emergency doors,
at Canary Wharf?

Unlikely in any event. Stairs at deep stations tend to be either the
spiral ones that are a legacy from when they only had lifts, or a fixed
staircase in between two escalators.

I'm not sure the guide acknowledges the latter properly, as I was fairly
sure Marble Arch was one such station, bicbw.
Old January 14th 13, 01:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 13:26:53 +0000, Roland Perry wrote:
I thought you wanted stair-only.

I do, the geofftech page doesn't help much with that list. geofftech
doesn't try to answer the "can you get to the platform only using stairs"
question so it isn't very helpful. But I wonder if Waterloo should be
listed as "platforms only reachable by escalator" since I don't think
there enough fixed stairs or lifts?

I'm not sure the guide acknowledges the latter properly, as I was fairly
sure Marble Arch was one such station, bicbw.

davros.org lists Marble Arch as having a fixed stairway. Which I assume
is why it isn't on the geofftech page as accessible only be escalator.

If I ever find myself with a free day I'll have to go and explore. I'd
like to work out how Bank/Monument is bolted together if you avoid
escalators.

Old January 14th 13, 04:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 14:31:45 on
Mon, 14 Jan 2013, David Walters remarked:
davros.org lists Marble Arch as having a fixed stairway.

That confirms my recollection (a stairway alongside one of the
escalators, but not at the same angle so it's succession of half a dozen
steps, landing etc)

Which I assume
is why it isn't on the geofftech page as accessible only be escalator.

It's not on his list of "with steps", on the other hand neither is it on
the list of "only escalators". As we can probably agree it doesn't have
lifts, that's where the Venn-foo I mentioned comes in.

Maybe the list you need is the inverse of the "only escalator" one
(assuming lifts are either OK, or always accompanied by stairs).
Old January 14th 13, 09:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at
14:15:13 on Mon, 14 Jan 2013,
remarked:
davros.org lists Marble Arch as having a fixed stairway.

That confirms my recollection (a stairway alongside one of the
escalators, but not at the same angle so it's succession of half a
dozen steps, landing etc)

Which I assume
is why it isn't on the geofftech page as accessible only be escalator.

It's not on his list of "with steps", on the other hand neither is it
on the list of "only escalators". As we can probably agree it doesn't
have lifts, that's where the Venn-foo I mentioned comes in.

Maybe the list you need is the inverse of the "only escalator" one
(assuming lifts are either OK, or always accompanied by stairs).

Does this distinguish cases where lifts and/or escalators cover the
entire route from street to platforms from the commoner situation where
there is at lest one flight of steps to negotiate as well as lifts and/or
escalators.

As a regular traveller in London, perhaps you can reverse engineer
the website's methodology (given that they don't state it explicitly,
but we've discussed some of the parameters here).

I'm not a regular or comprehensive enough user. The roundabout trip from
Heathrow to King's Cross on January 5th involved the Central-Victoria
interchange at Oxford Circus. I had no idea of the number of stairs and
feared the worst. In fact there was just one flight between the platforms.

Since then I've only used the bicycle.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old January 15th 13, 10:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 17:15:15 +0000, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 14:31:45 on
Mon, 14 Jan 2013, David Walters remarked:
davros.org lists Marble Arch as having a fixed stairway.

That confirms my recollection (a stairway alongside one of the
escalators, but not at the same angle so it's succession of half a dozen
steps, landing etc)

Is that a safety thing? If you slip you will stop at the next landing
rather than tumbling all the way to the bottom. It seems rare to find
very long unbroken flights of stairs.

Maybe the list you need is the inverse of the "only escalator" one
(assuming lifts are either OK, or always accompanied by stairs).

Lifts aren't okay though, I want to be able to find routes that don't
involve mechanical aids between the platform and street.