Old February 8th 13, 01:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Repeated traffic light failure

For the third time in a week a key set of lights on my school run have
gone down so will have to avoid the junction (in Homerton). Why do road
signals often keep failing once they've been 'fixed'?

E.

Old February 8th 13, 02:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 8 Feb 2013 14:48:49 +0000
eastender wrote:
For the third time in a week a key set of lights on my school run have
gone down so will have to avoid the junction (in Homerton). Why do road
signals often keep failing once they've been 'fixed'?

Why do you have to do the school run and cause traffic jams for people
who have to drive to work? Let the kid walk or get the bus.

B2003

Old February 8th 13, 06:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2013\02\08 14:48, eastender wrote:
For the third time in a week a key set of lights on my school run have
gone down so will have to avoid the junction (in Homerton). Why do road
signals often keep failing once they've been 'fixed'?

I don't know, but traffic lights break with alarming frequency. There is
little that TfL do right, but Hendy just got his knighthood so why
should they give a crap?
Old February 8th 13, 07:55 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastender[_4_] View Post
For the third time in a week a key set of lights on my school run have
gone down so will have to avoid the junction (in Homerton). Why do road
signals often keep failing once they've been 'fixed'?

E.
In my experience, traffic often flows more smoothly when traffic lights fail,
particularly in the suburbs.

I have a strong suspicion about why they fail so often, but the laws of libel
prevent me from explaining.

Old February 8th 13, 08:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"....HAS gone down."
Can't be a good school!
Old February 8th 13, 11:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Offramp wrote on 08 February 2013 21:33:31 ...
"....HAS gone down."
Can't be a good school!

"Set of lights" implies plurality, so "have" is perfectly good English.
--
Richard J.
Old February 9th 13, 09:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 9, 12:08*am, "Richard J." wrote:
Offramp wrote on 08 February 2013 21:33:31 ...

"....HAS gone down."
Can't be a good school!

"Set of lights" implies plurality, so "have" is perfectly good English.
--
Richard J.

Ah, but it says *A* set..., which is then singular.

PhilD

Old February 9th 13, 09:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

PhilD wrote on 09 February 2013 10:46:06 ...
On Feb 9, 12:08 am, "Richard J." wrote:
Offramp wrote on 08 February 2013 21:33:31 ...

"....HAS gone down."
Can't be a good school!

"Set of lights" implies plurality, so "have" is perfectly good English.

Ah, but it says *A* set..., which is then singular.

Of course it says "A" because "set" is a singular noun. But "a set of
lights" is the compound subject of the sentence, and clearly refers to
several lights forming a set, all of which were out. In British English,
a collective noun like "set" can be followed by either a singular or
plural verb.

See the Fowler's Modern English Usage article on 'agreement'.
--
Richard J.
Old February 10th 13, 12:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

So you think, "A set of lights have failed," is good English?
Thank God the Poles are catching up!
LOROL!