London Banter

-   -   Repeated traffic light failure (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/13412-repeated-traffic-light-failure.html)

eastender[_4_] February 8th 13 01:48 PM

Repeated traffic light failure

For the third time in a week a key set of lights on my school run have
gone down so will have to avoid the junction (in Homerton). Why do road
signals often keep failing once they've been 'fixed'?

E.

[email protected] February 8th 13 02:35 PM

Repeated traffic light failure

On Fri, 8 Feb 2013 14:48:49 +0000
eastender wrote:
For the third time in a week a key set of lights on my school run have
gone down so will have to avoid the junction (in Homerton). Why do road
signals often keep failing once they've been 'fixed'?

Why do you have to do the school run and cause traffic jams for people
who have to drive to work? Let the kid walk or get the bus.

B2003

eastender[_4_] February 8th 13 03:26 PM

On 2013-02-08 15:35:15 +0000, d said:

Why do you have to do the school run and cause traffic jams for people
who have to drive to work? Let the kid walk or get the bus.

It's about five miles to the school, which itself is not very near to a
bus or train station. We do take them on the train sometimes.

But thanks for addressing the traffic light problem.

E.

Basil Jet[_3_] February 8th 13 06:12 PM

On 2013\02\08 14:48, eastender wrote:
For the third time in a week a key set of lights on my school run have
gone down so will have to avoid the junction (in Homerton). Why do road
signals often keep failing once they've been 'fixed'?

I don't know, but traffic lights break with alarming frequency. There is
little that TfL do right, but Hendy just got his knighthood so why
should they give a crap?

Robin9 February 8th 13 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eastender[_4_] (Post 136007)
For the third time in a week a key set of lights on my school run have
gone down so will have to avoid the junction (in Homerton). Why do road
signals often keep failing once they've been 'fixed'?

E.

In my experience, traffic often flows more smoothly when traffic lights fail,
particularly in the suburbs.

I have a strong suspicion about why they fail so often, but the laws of libel
prevent me from explaining.

Offramp February 8th 13 08:33 PM

Repeated traffic light failure

"....HAS gone down."
Can't be a good school!

Richard J.[_3_] February 8th 13 11:08 PM

Repeated traffic light failure

Offramp wrote on 08 February 2013 21:33:31 ...
"....HAS gone down."
Can't be a good school!

"Set of lights" implies plurality, so "have" is perfectly good English.
--
Richard J.

PhilD February 9th 13 09:46 AM

On Feb 9, 12:08*am, "Richard J." wrote:
Offramp wrote on 08 February 2013 21:33:31 ...

"....HAS gone down."
Can't be a good school!

"Set of lights" implies plurality, so "have" is perfectly good English.
--
Richard J.

Ah, but it says *A* set..., which is then singular.

PhilD

Richard J.[_3_] February 9th 13 09:03 PM

Repeated traffic light failure

PhilD wrote on 09 February 2013 10:46:06 ...
On Feb 9, 12:08 am, "Richard J." wrote:
Offramp wrote on 08 February 2013 21:33:31 ...

"....HAS gone down."
Can't be a good school!

"Set of lights" implies plurality, so "have" is perfectly good English.

Ah, but it says *A* set..., which is then singular.

Of course it says "A" because "set" is a singular noun. But "a set of
lights" is the compound subject of the sentence, and clearly refers to
several lights forming a set, all of which were out. In British English,
a collective noun like "set" can be followed by either a singular or
plural verb.

See the Fowler's Modern English Usage article on 'agreement'.
--
Richard J.

Offramp February 10th 13 12:32 AM

Repeated traffic light failure

So you think, "A set of lights have failed," is good English?
Thank God the Poles are catching up!
LOROL!