Old February 10th 13, 02:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Repeated traffic light failure

Offramp wrote on 10 February 2013 01:32:40 ...
So you think, "A set of lights have failed," is good English?

Yes, and it's not just me, or some new fashion. Look up any book on
English grammar from the last 100 years and you'll see that the advice
is that collective nouns like "set" may be followed by a singular or
plural verb.

If you've seen contrary advice, please provide a reference.
--
Richard J.

Old February 10th 13, 12:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2013-02-10 03:05:53 +0000, Richard J. said:

Yes, and it's not just me, or some new fashion. Look up any book on
English grammar from the last 100 years and you'll see that the advice
is that collective nouns like "set" may be followed by a singular or
plural verb.

Indeed - as the original perpetrator of this heinous crime against
pedantry let me say that I would normally make it singular in formal
writing but it is also natural and not incorrect to make a group plural
- 'traffic lights' on its (their) own is cleary plural although it's a
singular set as in:

'The traffic lights are down at the junction.'

Adding 'the set of' doesn't mean we can't still use 'are' because the
lights are nearer to the verb - I think we can say:

'A set of traffic lights are on the blink.'

A true pedant would of course eliminate 'set of' as redundant.

E.

Old February 10th 13, 02:54 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

In London children frequently are not granted places at their nearest school.

Old February 10th 13, 03:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 09:31:20
on Sun, 10 Feb 2013, remarked:

What proportion of London children attend their nearest school? I didn't.

I recall reading a story about Tower Hamlets where only children living
within a couple of hundred yards managed to get into the local school.
In such circumstances the majority will be attending a not-nearest
school.