London Banter

-   -   No crossed lines at King's Cross (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/13413-no-crossed-lines-kings-cross.html)

Mizter T February 9th 13 12:27 PM

No crossed lines at King's Cross

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/aspx/6538.aspx
says...

---quote---
Telephones

There are no public telephones at the station.

The nearest ones are over the road in the entrance to King's Cross St
Pancras Underground.
---/quote---

I appreciate that public payphones are rather 20th century, but I'm
still a tad surprised by this.

On a related note, are there any subterranean payphones (i.e. deep
platform level) on the London Underground network still in existence? If
not, when did the last one go?

(And apologies for the slightly laboured subject line!)

[email protected] February 9th 13 01:02 PM

On 09/02/2013 13:27, Mizter T wrote:
http://www.networkrail.co.uk/aspx/6538.aspx
says...

---quote---
Telephones

There are no public telephones at the station.

The nearest ones are over the road in the entrance to King's Cross St
Pancras Underground.
---/quote---

I appreciate that public payphones are rather 20th century, but I'm
still a tad surprised by this.

On a related note, are there any subterranean payphones (i.e. deep
platform level) on the London Underground network still in existence? If
not, when did the last one go?

(And apologies for the slightly laboured subject line!)

When did the Cadbury vending machines also go?

Mizter T February 9th 13 01:11 PM

On 09/02/2013 14:02, wrote:

On 09/02/2013 13:27, Mizter T wrote:
http://www.networkrail.co.uk/aspx/6538.aspx
says...

---quote---
Telephones

There are no public telephones at the station.

The nearest ones are over the road in the entrance to King's Cross St
Pancras Underground.
---/quote---

I appreciate that public payphones are rather 20th century, but I'm
still a tad surprised by this.

On a related note, are there any subterranean payphones (i.e. deep
platform level) on the London Underground network still in existence? If
not, when did the last one go?

(And apologies for the slightly laboured subject line!)

When did the Cadbury vending machines also go?

When there was some concern about them potentially catching fire, IIRC.
Not something LU takes any chances about these days (quite rightly).

Roland Perry February 9th 13 01:51 PM

No crossed lines at King's Cross

In message , at 13:27:37 on Sat, 9 Feb 2013,
Mizter T remarked:
On a related note, are there any subterranean payphones (i.e. deep
platform level) on the London Underground network still in existence?
If not, when did the last one go?

I think they may have been removed when Rabbit covered the LUL network
(in the early 90's). Not that it lasted long, but it did work while it
lasted.

Mizter T February 9th 13 02:16 PM

On 09/02/2013 14:51, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 13:27:37 on Sat, 9 Feb 2013,
Mizter T remarked:
On a related note, are there any subterranean payphones (i.e. deep
platform level) on the London Underground network still in existence?
If not, when did the last one go?

I think they may have been removed when Rabbit covered the LUL network
(in the early 90's). Not that it lasted long, but it did work while it
lasted.

Nope, there were BT payphones around on the LU network far more recently
than that (Rabbit ceased service in December 1993).

A.Lee February 9th 13 03:39 PM

wrote:

On 09/02/2013 14:11, Mizter T wrote:

When there was some concern about them potentially catching fire, IIRC.
Not something LU takes any chances about these days (quite rightly).

Please explain.

Vending machines are strictly controlled on LU (TfL?), by having to meet
strict rules on flammability and control of any fires.
I used to supply (well, not me, but the Co. I worked for) various
equipment for LU, all of these had extra fire proof material compared to
our normal stuff, as well as extra sfatey features inside - e.g. faster
breaking CBs and a fire extinguisher if a fire did occur.

Maybe the chocolate machine suppliers couldnt meet these rules?

Offramp February 9th 13 05:00 PM

No crossed lines at King's Cross

When did the last Payne's Poppets machine go?

Offramp February 9th 13 05:05 PM

No crossed lines at King's Cross

Like the also-gone photo machines I think they were more trouble than they were worth. At the end the machines were in fact very reliable, but any complainers still went to staff - ranting in their diabetic stupors.

Charles Ellson[_2_] February 9th 13 10:11 PM

On Sat, 9 Feb 2013 16:39:09 +0000, (A.Lee) wrote:

wrote:

On 09/02/2013 14:11, Mizter T wrote:

When there was some concern about them potentially catching fire, IIRC.
Not something LU takes any chances about these days (quite rightly).

Please explain.

Vending machines are strictly controlled on LU (TfL?), by having to meet
strict rules on flammability and control of any fires.
I used to supply (well, not me, but the Co. I worked for) various
equipment for LU, all of these had extra fire proof material compared to
our normal stuff, as well as extra sfatey features inside - e.g. faster
breaking CBs and a fire extinguisher if a fire did occur.

Maybe the chocolate machine suppliers couldnt meet these rules?

There are also the elements which have killed off unattended vending
machines in general - vandalism and theft.