London Banter

-   -   CDR start times When Against the Flow (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/13427-cdr-start-times-when-against.html)

Michael R N Dolbear February 20th 13 09:05 PM

CDR start times When Against the Flow

This week I bought a Day Return (CDR) to Guildford and first looked up
the fare on

http://brfares.com

And noticed not the usual 'restriction B1', ie after 09.30 but rather
B4 = after 08.45 which meant I could not only travel earlier but use my
Railcard earlier.

Try, for example, Esher to Guildford or indeed Esher to Farnborough
(stations)

I am cross-posting this to uk.railway in the hope that someone can
explain the policy and/or history here.

I note that Surbiton to Guildford is 'restriction B1' as is Esher to
Godalming but
Woking to Guildford, Godalming and stations to Portsmouth are all
'restriction B3' = after 09.00 thus providing another case where buying
two tickets can be useful.

Of course, if the restriction code was printed on the ticket I might
have spotted this years ago.

--
Mike D

tim..... February 21st 13 08:53 AM

"Michael R N Dolbear" wrote in message
This week I bought a Day Return (CDR) to Guildford and first looked up
the fare on

http://brfares.com

And noticed not the usual 'restriction B1', ie after 09.30 but rather
B4 = after 08.45 which meant I could not only travel earlier but use my
Railcard earlier.

OOI what is this railcard that attracts a discount based upon ticket type
and not an absolute time restriction?

tim

Peter Masson[_3_] February 21st 13 09:29 AM

CDR start times When Against the Flow

"tim....." wrote

OOI what is this railcard that attracts a discount based upon ticket type
and not an absolute time restriction?

Senior Railcard. It's technically a time restriction, but in the Network
SouthEast area Senior Railcards can't be used until Off-peak tickets kick in
for the journey being made - so the kick-in time varies according to the
journey.
http://www.senior-railcard.co.uk/eli...-travel-times/

Peter

Michael R N Dolbear February 22nd 13 01:51 AM

CDR start times When Against the Flow

Peter Masson wrote

"tim....." wrote

OOI what is this railcard that attracts a discount based upon ticket

type
and not an absolute time restriction?

Senior Railcard. It's technically a time restriction, but in the

Network
SouthEast area Senior Railcards can't be used until Off-peak tickets

kick in
for the journey being made - so the kick-in time varies according to

the
journey.

http://www.senior-railcard.co.uk/eli...ets-travel-tim
es/

Same condition for the Family & Friends Railcard

http://www.familyandfriends-railcard...efits/tickets-
travel-times/

--
Mike D

[email protected] February 26th 13 08:35 PM

CDR start times When Against the Flow

In article 01ce0fb5$25a83180$LocalHost@default, (Michael R
N Dolbear) wrote:

This week I bought a Day Return (CDR) to Guildford and first looked up
the fare on

http://brfares.com

And noticed not the usual 'restriction B1', ie after 09.30 but rather
B4 = after 08.45 which meant I could not only travel earlier but use my
Railcard earlier.

Try, for example, Esher to Guildford or indeed Esher to Farnborough
(stations)

I found the same at Winchester this week. I could buy a Day Return (no CDR
for my journey) with railcard discount after 08:45.

--
Colin Rosenstiel