London Banter

-   -   oyster and automatic travelcards (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/1343-oyster-automatic-travelcards.html)

spammy January 26th 04 05:55 PM

oyster and automatic travelcards

for oysters, has the "if you spend more than the price of a travelcard in
prepay singles then youll get charged for a travelcard" system kicked in
yet?

if not, is it possible to load one day travelcards onto my oyster yet?

cheers

--
Sponsor me for the Flora London Marathon!
Visit http://www.justgiving.com/shak to pledge/donate!

Bob Wood January 26th 04 07:12 PM

oyster and automatic travelcards

In ,
spammy typed:
for oysters, has the "if you spend more than the price of a
travelcard in prepay singles then youll get charged for a travelcard"
system kicked in yet?

No.

if not, is it possible to load one day travelcards onto my oyster yet?

No

Ian Jelf January 26th 04 11:25 PM

oyster and automatic travelcards

In message , Bob Wood
writes
In ,
spammy typed:
for oysters, has the "if you spend more than the price of a
travelcard in prepay singles then youll get charged for a travelcard"
system kicked in yet?

No.

Is it going to kick in?

if not, is it possible to load one day travelcards onto my oyster yet?

No

And is *that* going to kick in, too?

(This is the first I've heard of either of these plans.)
--
Ian Jelf, MITG, Birmingham, UK
Registered "Blue Badge" Tourist Guide for

Jason January 27th 04 02:02 AM

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 18:55:47 -0000, "spammy" wrote:

for oysters, has the "if you spend more than the price of a travelcard in
prepay singles then youll get charged for a travelcard" system kicked in
yet?

No - later in the year, and rumoured to be possibly around March.
Currently it is possible to spend in excess of the equivalent One Day
Travelcard. (My wife keeps doing this much to my annoyance!)

if not, is it possible to load one day travelcards onto my oyster yet?

No - only Annual, Monthly, 7 day and Pre-pay. ODTCs remain paper
based.

Cheers,

Jason.

Jill January 27th 04 08:00 AM

oyster and automatic travelcards

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 03:02:42 +0000, Jason
wrote:

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 18:55:47 -0000, "spammy" wrote:

for oysters, has the "if you spend more than the price of a travelcard in
prepay singles then youll get charged for a travelcard" system kicked in
yet?

No - later in the year, and rumoured to be possibly around March.
Currently it is possible to spend in excess of the equivalent One Day
Travelcard. (My wife keeps doing this much to my annoyance!)

But you can't blame this on Oyster - surely it's the equivalent of
buying single tickets in the old days and then finding by the end of
the day your journey meant you could have saved if you'd bought a
travelcard.
I've always had to ask myself each time I use the tube - what am I
doing today? Do I need a one day travelcard or is a straight single
each way going to be enough? If there's a strong possibility I'll be
doing more than a straight return, or using bus and tube, I buy a
travelcard. I only use my pre-pay Oyster on the days when I wouldn't
have needed a travelcard.
Jill

Ian F. January 27th 04 08:33 AM

"Jill" wrote in message

I've always had to ask myself each time I use the tube - what am I
doing today? Do I need a one day travelcard or is a straight single
each way going to be enough? If there's a strong possibility I'll be
doing more than a straight return, or using bus and tube, I buy a
travelcard. I only use my pre-pay Oyster on the days when I wouldn't
have needed a travelcard.

My pattern of use pretty much matches yours. So, one wonders, what is the
point of people like us having an Oyster card at all? I am just sticking to
ODTCs or return tickets until such time as Oyster becomes smarter.

Ian

Bob Wood January 27th 04 10:30 AM

oyster and automatic travelcards

In ,
Ian Jelf typed:
In message , Bob Wood
writes
In ,
spammy typed:

for oysters, has the "if you spend more than the price of a
travelcard in prepay singles then youll get charged for a
travelcard" system kicked in yet?

No.

Is it going to kick in?

Yes, it is part of the plans. There are rumours that it will start in
March, but it can not start until PrePay is available on buses, Tramlink
and, presumably, until Oyster cardreaders are available at national rail
stations in the travelcard area.

if not, is it possible to load one day travelcards onto my oyster
yet?

No

And is *that* going to kick in, too?

(This is the first I've heard of either of these plans.)

I don't think this is intended. I think the idea is that people can start
the day and only pay for a single journey, but later in the day when they
make other journeys the amount that is taken from the card during the day
will be 'capped' to the amount payable for the appropriate one day
travelcard. This would prevent the 'wasting' of money on a travelcard if
subsequent travel was not up to the cost of the travelcard - IMO a
good idea.

Bob

Ian Jelf January 27th 04 11:48 AM

oyster and automatic travelcards

In message , Bob Wood
writes
I don't think this is intended. I think the idea is that people can start
the day and only pay for a single journey, but later in the day when they
make other journeys the amount that is taken from the card during the day
will be 'capped' to the amount payable for the appropriate one day
travelcard. This would prevent the 'wasting' of money on a travelcard if
subsequent travel was not up to the cost of the travelcard - IMO a
good idea.

I agree.

Indeed, for my (admittedly unusual) London travel patterns, this would
be absolutely ideal. Ten out of ten to TfL.

What will happen as far as conductors on RMs, though? It seems as
though there will be an overlap between the implementation of Oyster on
buses and the withdrawal of the remaining RMs. Will they invest in
hand readers a la DLR? Or would that not be cost effective considering
the limited remaining time in service of Routemasters?

(That said, we still have this vague promise about RM operation
continuing "on a network of tourist routes". Will they, I wonder, be
within the TfL fare system? This would of course make the acquisition
of hand held Oyster readers a rather more cost-effective option.)

Helen Deborah Vecht January 27th 04 12:52 PM

oyster and automatic travelcards

"Ian F." typed

"Jill" wrote in message

I've always had to ask myself each time I use the tube - what am I
doing today? Do I need a one day travelcard or is a straight single
each way going to be enough? If there's a strong possibility I'll be
doing more than a straight return, or using bus and tube, I buy a
travelcard. I only use my pre-pay Oyster on the days when I wouldn't
have needed a travelcard.

My pattern of use pretty much matches yours. So, one wonders, what is the
point of people like us having an Oyster card at all? I am just sticking to
ODTCs or return tickets until such time as Oyster becomes smarter.

Ian

Weekend Tube tickets are quite a lot cheaper on Oyster Pre Pay.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Kat January 27th 04 02:26 PM

oyster and automatic travelcards

In message , Ian Jelf
writes
In message , Bob Wood
writes
In ,
spammy typed:
for oysters, has the "if you spend more than the price of a
travelcard in prepay singles then youll get charged for a travelcard"
system kicked in yet?

No.

Is it going to kick in?

Yes, sort of... it's known as capping. If you make enough journeys in a
day where it would have been cheaper to buy a Day T/Card then the amount
taken from Pre Pay will be capped at the price of a Day Travelcard. (For
appropriate time and zones used)
BUT, if you know that some of your journeys will be on NR within the
zones then you should buy a paper Day Travelcard because the capping
will not apply to journeys made on NR (with some exceptions)

if not, is it possible to load one day travelcards onto my oyster yet?

No

And is *that* going to kick in, too?

Not exactly AFAIK
But you will be able to buy a paper ticket with your Pre Pay
This shows as an option on the touchscreen machines (Multifare and
Queuebuster) now but there are stickers on those machines advising that
it's not in use yet.

(This is the first I've heard of either of these plans.)

This is my understanding of what's planned but it may be changed.

(BTW, apologies if this is a repeated post; I sent it this morning at
04.00 and as it hasn't shown up I assume the original is lost in
cyberspace)
--
Kat Me, Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.