Old February 25th 13, 08:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Northern Line Signalling

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else yet, but the new signalling
system has been brought into use between High Barnet and West Finchley.
The former signals have been wrapped up, and passengers entering High
Barnet station are being amazed to see all the departures for the next
half hour shown on the PIS display (well, some of them are amazed).

I didn't notice at West Finchley, but on the driver information board at
Finchley Central is a sign "Colour light signals ahead. Don't get
tripped up!"

Eric
--
ms fnd in a lbry

Old February 26th 13, 07:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

One think I have notice in the last couple of days is that the
indicator board at Totteridge seems to be slightly more reliable.
Previously, when it indicated, say, 3 minutes to the next train you
could assume it meant 5. And the 'Train Approaching' announcement
meant 'Train arriving in about 90 seconds.

Yesterday and today I was surprised by the train arriving almost
within the announced period. Even though today it stuck at 3 minutes
for about 2:30 minutes then rapidly advanced to 'Train approaching'.

If only they would show more trains via Charing Cross ....

Peter
Old February 26th 13, 08:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 25 Feb 2013 21:30:23 +0000
Eric wrote:
I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else yet, but the new signalling
system has been brought into use between High Barnet and West Finchley.
The former signals have been wrapped up, and passengers entering High
Barnet station are being amazed to see all the departures for the next
half hour shown on the PIS display (well, some of them are amazed).

I guess they're not planning on keeping the old signals as backup then?

Spud

Old February 26th 13, 02:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 14:56:08 +0000
Steve Fitzgerald ] wrote:
In message ,
writes

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else yet, but the new signalling
system has been brought into use between High Barnet and West Finchley.
The former signals have been wrapped up, and passengers entering High
Barnet station are being amazed to see all the departures for the next
half hour shown on the PIS display (well, some of them are amazed).

I guess they're not planning on keeping the old signals as backup then?

How long does it take to remove a plastic bag?

Somewhat less than it takes to remove hundreds of them over 30 miles of line.

Spud

Old February 26th 13, 08:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
,
peter writes
If only they would show more trains via Charing Cross ....

I don't know if it's changed, but the Northern Line used to be based
around two services, Morden via Bank to Barnet and Golders green to
Golders green via Kennington loop.With a few variations thrown in for
the mix
--
Clive
Old March 12th 13, 08:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 26 Feb, 08:54, peter wrote:
One think I have notice in the last couple of days is that the
indicator board at Totteridge seems to be slightly more reliable.
Previously, when it indicated, say, 3 minutes to the next train you
could assume it meant 5. *And the 'Train Approaching' announcement
meant 'Train arriving in about 90 seconds.

Yesterday and today I was surprised by the train arriving almost
within the announced period. *Even though today it stuck at 3 minutes
for about 2:30 minutes then rapidly advanced to 'Train approaching'.

If only they would show more trains via Charing Cross ....

Peter

I spoke too soon, Arrived at T&W at 7:05, board showed 3 minutes,
train arrived 7:10. Good to see London Transport returning to form!

Peter