Old January 26th 04, 07:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Headstop / Tailstop

Some bus stop signs have red bars below the list of routes calling at
the stop, marked either "Headstop" or "Tailstop".

What do these mean? If they are instructions as to where the bus
should stop relative to the sign, why are they only placed at certain
stops?

Old January 26th 04, 09:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Matt Ashby" wrote in message
m...

If they are instructions as to where the bus
should stop relative to the sign,

They are.

why are they only placed at certain stops?

It usually doesn't matter exactly where the bus stops, unless there are side
roads or zigzags nearby.

Also, buses normally stop with the entrance next to the stop, so if a bus
stop is only served by front-entrance buses, or only served by rear-entrance
buses, putting the stop in the right place makes sure that the buses stop in
the right place.

Therefore the signs are only needed where buses of both types serve a stop
crammed between sideroads or other obstacles. With the imminent death of the
Routemaster, headstops and tailstops will disappear.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old January 27th 04, 12:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
"Matt Ashby" wrote in message
m...

If they are instructions as to where the bus
should stop relative to the sign,

They are.

I think not. I thought that the headstop and tailstop were the names given
to the stops at the ends of a route, but I can't remember which is which.
--
Richard J.

Old January 30th 04, 10:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message
Richard J. wrote:
It's only simple if you can see one, and I can't say I have. Where are
there mid-route Headstop or Tailstop signs in West or Central London?

Chelsea & Westminster Hospital, eastbound, routes 14, 414, 211.

A bit further out, but there's a tail-stop where the 290 routes leaves the
Fordbridge Roundabout in Ashford, Middlesex. Presumably cos the back of the
bus would still be hanging out into the traffic flow on the roundabout if it
was a regular stop.