Old March 22nd 13, 05:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Countfrown

While driving past a bus stop in Ponders End at 4am, I saw the Countdown
display bearing three lines of glowing text firing countless quanta of
energy out into the human-free wilderness. Admittedly the bus stop in
question is served by night buses, but I would not be surprised if
no-one had waited for a bus there for the previous four hours. I have
also seen tram-stops in New Addington gushing forth photons to tell
non-existent night-tram passengers about the non-existent night trams.

Has anyone in TfL ever done an analysis of this waste of energy?

Old March 22nd 13, 07:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote:
While driving past a bus stop in Ponders End at 4am, I saw the Countdown
display bearing three lines of glowing text firing countless quanta of
energy out into the human-free wilderness. Admittedly the bus stop in
question is served by night buses, but I would not be surprised if no-one
had waited for a bus there for the previous four hours. I have also seen
tram-stops in New Addington gushing forth photons to tell non-existent
night-tram passengers about the non-existent night trams.

Has anyone in TfL ever done an analysis of this waste of energy?

As they're LEDs, the power consumption of all the signs together is
probably less than one street lamp.
Old March 22nd 13, 08:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 06:12:54 +0000
Basil Jet wrote:
While driving past a bus stop in Ponders End at 4am, I saw the Countdown
display bearing three lines of glowing text firing countless quanta of
energy out into the human-free wilderness. Admittedly the bus stop in
question is served by night buses, but I would not be surprised if
no-one had waited for a bus there for the previous four hours. I have
also seen tram-stops in New Addington gushing forth photons to tell
non-existent night-tram passengers about the non-existent night trams.

Has anyone in TfL ever done an analysis of this waste of energy?

Compared to the lights in underground stations being left on all night
whether maintenance is going to happen or not and trains at termini outside
with doors open and the heaters on its probably insignificant.

--
Spud

Old March 22nd 13, 05:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

That money could be used to build hospitals.
Old March 22nd 13, 05:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at
11:08:31 on Fri, 22 Mar 2013, Offramp remarked:

That money could be used to build hospitals.

Not sure which money you mean (as you've snipped the context) but here
in north Cambridgeshire we have two recently vastly expanded hospitals
about to go broke because there aren't enough patients. [Huntingdon and
Peterborough].