Old June 4th 13, 11:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Bozza on Crossrail

On Mon, Jun 03, 2013 at 10:51:54AM +0000, wrote:

and frankly there are enough bloody planes in the skys over london as it is.
We don't need any more.

And the reasoning behind these statements is what?

--
David Cantrell | Cake Smuggler Extraordinaire

Blessed are the pessimists, for they test their backups
Old June 4th 13, 11:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, Jun 03, 2013 at 10:30:19AM +0100, JNugent wrote:

Fifty-five thousand jobs at "only" forty-two thousand million pounds
(current estimates).

Wow... that's only £763,636 per job.

Construction started in 2009, and will finish in 2018. That's 9-ish
years of work, so 85 grand per year per job on average. When you consider
things like employer's NI, overheads such as paying for office space and
power, the cost of equipment used and materials consumed, and the cost of
land purchased, it seems quite a reasonable rate per hour worked to be
honest.

--
David Cantrell | semi-evolved ape-thing

I'm in retox
Old June 4th 13, 02:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 4 Jun 2013 15:01:44 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 11:45:42 on Tue, 4 Jun
2013, d remarked:
Look out the window right now. Can you see that smeary haze where there should
be blue sky? Apart from looking vile, for all that ice from the vapour trails
you can see theres just as much CO2 released that you can't see. Not to

mention
all the other pollutants being shoved into the stratosphere.

Wrong on two counts. The ice reflects the sun and cools the earth, and
the jet engines draw in and burn methane, which is a much more powerful
greenhouse gas than CO2.

I'd change your pot dealer if I were you, clearly he's selling you something
a bit too strong.

- The ice might reflect the sun but it disperses in a few hours so its a
temporary effect whereas the CO2 however will be around for thousands of
years. Moreover the ice clouds also reflect heat back down to the ground
so the jury's out on whether they're good or bad during the day. At night
it'll be bad.

- Your burning methane comment is farcical. The amount the engines will suck up
is miniscule and even allowing for its stronger greenhouse effect it will be
outweighed by orders of magnitude compared to that of the CO2 generated. Plus
methane has a half life in the atmosphere of about 10 years so in the scheme
of things its pretty irrelevant.

--
Spud

Old June 4th 13, 02:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 14:20:17 on Tue, 4 Jun
[...]

What science do you base these comments on - mine is a university
research project that came to the conclusions above.
Old June 4th 13, 02:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 4 Jun 2013 15:33:40 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
What science do you base these comments on - mine is a university

Basic physics my friend. And googling will back me up.

research project that came to the conclusions above.

Care to post a link to it? I need a laugh.

--
Spud

Old June 4th 13, 03:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 14:50:25 on Tue, 4 Jun
2013, d remarked:
What science do you base these comments on - mine is a university

Basic physics my friend. And googling will back me up.

research project that came to the conclusions above.

Care to post a link to it? I need a laugh.

You need a reality check.