Old January 30th 04, 10:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Trimming Oyster Card

I love my Oyster card. It's just a bit big...

Has anyone tried cutting down their oyster card to a much smaller
size? Assuming that the smartcard itself takes up a fraction of the
area, that is. After all, this is how the current mini-SIM cards in
mobiles developed from the full credit-card size SIMs...

My main concern is the RF antenna - probably it does run the whole
length / width of the card, and such an operation isn't possible. ISTR
the way these cards work is that the RF energy is enough to power the
card circuitry for the brief period needed to process the transaction;
and this requires a decent-sized antenna.

As to why I want to do this..? Well, it might be quite handy being
able to tape the 'card' to my watch strap, or to my key ring, or
inside my coat sleeve, for example...

Damian

Old January 30th 04, 01:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Damian Skeeles" wrote in message
om...
I love my Oyster card. It's just a bit big...

Has anyone tried cutting down their oyster card to a much smaller
size? Assuming that the smartcard itself takes up a fraction of the
area, that is. After all, this is how the current mini-SIM cards in
mobiles developed from the full credit-card size SIMs...

Looks to me like the chip is in the top-left corner and there's a few thin
strips running all the way around the outside of the card (presumably an
induction loop?)...

Trimming it in any direction is likely to be a really bad idea. Possibly you
could manage to deconstruct a card and still manage to attach a loop to the
chip - but rather you than me

Old January 30th 04, 09:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london
TC TC is offline

Damian Skeeles wrote:
I love my Oyster card. It's just a bit big...

Has anyone tried cutting down their oyster card to a much smaller
size? Assuming that the smartcard itself takes up a fraction of the
area, that is. After all, this is how the current mini-SIM cards in
mobiles developed from the full credit-card size SIMs...

My main concern is the RF antenna - probably it does run the whole
length / width of the card, and such an operation isn't possible.

Yep. I've seen photos online of SmartRider bus cards (developed by
Wayfarer I think) - there is only a small amount of clearance around the
edges.

As to why I want to do this..? Well, it might be quite handy being
able to tape the 'card' to my watch strap, or to my key ring, or
inside my coat sleeve, for example...

I've done the coat sleve idea with a full sized card (I've also been
tempted to tape the card to the bottom of a large box I once had to
carry a few weeks back).

--
TC

Old February 1st 04, 10:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 30 Jan 2004, Damian Skeeles wrote:

I love my Oyster card. It's just a bit big... Has anyone tried cutting
down their oyster card to a much smaller size?

They only cost three quid - give it a try!

Alternatively, get in touch with the London 2600 people - i'm sure they're
very, very familiar with the insides of an Oyster by now ...

tom

--
The Impossible is True

Old February 2nd 04, 08:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

(Damian Skeeles) wrote in message . com...
I love my Oyster card. It's just a bit big...

Has anyone tried cutting down their oyster card to a much smaller
size? Assuming that the smartcard itself takes up a fraction of the
area, that is. After all, this is how the current mini-SIM cards in
mobiles developed from the full credit-card size SIMs...

My main concern is the RF antenna - probably it does run the whole
length / width of the card, and such an operation isn't possible. ISTR
the way these cards work is that the RF energy is enough to power the
card circuitry for the brief period needed to process the transaction;
and this requires a decent-sized antenna.

As to why I want to do this..? Well, it might be quite handy being
able to tape the 'card' to my watch strap, or to my key ring, or
inside my coat sleeve, for example...

The card is a transponder. The RF energy emitted by the reader is
received in the antennae (coil) around the edge of the card. This
powers the card, and the presence of RF at the correct frequency wakes
up the trasmit circuitry and it transmits its coded information. If
you hold the card up close to a very strong light source you should be
able to see the component parts. If you decide to trim your card be
prepared to trash ity and buy a new one!

Damian