London Banter

-   -   No smoking in Bus Shelters ? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/13621-no-smoking-bus-shelters.html)

Michael R N Dolbear September 4th 13 11:05 AM

No smoking in Bus Shelters ?

When I looked, I found that many shelters display a 'No Smoking' sign,
whether or not they have three walls but some do not.

This was triggered by the Esher High Street stop (back wall only, sign)
having its bench removed (temp I hope) and a guy noting he was on his
way to Guildford to answer a charge of smoking in a Leatherhead
shelter. Both have TfL services.

Google didn't help much but a ministerial statement of intent to make
all shelters 'No Smoking' turned up plus a failed Scottish prosecution
and a three-sides everywhere but otherwise "only on private land" note
to the original regulations with an "adjacent to a bus station"
example.

Is it a local authority option or random error ?

--
Mike D

Basil Jet[_3_] September 4th 13 01:18 PM

No smoking in Bus Shelters ?

Smoking in any kind of queue should be outlawed, even with no walls and
no roof, since it's not easy to move away from a smoker and keep your
place in the queue.

Steve Lewis September 4th 13 07:35 PM

No smoking in Bus Shelters ?

The English regulations prohibit smoking if there is a roof and "more than half of the perimeter" is enclosed. Of course, the owner is free to prohibit smoking whether or not that is a legal requirement, however you can't be prosecuted unless it is a legally-mandated prohibition. Of course, TfL may have it's own bye laws which allow prosecutions.

And all of that's before we get into the legal signage requirements...

Jarle Hammen Knudsen September 5th 13 01:30 PM

No smoking in Bus Shelters ?

On Wed, 04 Sep 2013 12:58:29 +0100, Paul Corfield
wrote:

[...] TfL have successfully
secured several TfL Acts for various purposes. The Acts are on the TfL
website.

Do you know the address?

--
jhk

Scott September 5th 13 04:27 PM

No smoking in Bus Shelters ?

wrote:

[...] TfL have successfully
secured several TfL Acts for various purposes. The Acts are on the TfL
website.

Do you know the address?

The man at Google, he say
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...TP-byelaws.pdf