Old November 4th 13, 06:29 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default London Gateway opens

The first (official) ship to dock at the new London Gateway arrives this
week:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...est-ships.html

I wonder how the movement of all these containers will affect the rail
network, such as the already heavily loaded North London line?

Old November 4th 13, 06:44 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 04/11/2013 07:29, Recliner wrote:
The first (official) ship to dock at the new London Gateway arrives this
week:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...est-ships.html

I wonder how the movement of all these containers will affect the rail
network, such as the already heavily loaded North London line?

Interesting claim that Southampton and Felixstowe have only 3 deep water
(container) berths between them. Given that Southampton is currently
building its fourth…

--
Graeme Wall
Railway Miscellany at http://www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Old November 4th 13, 06:54 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Recliner writes:

The first (official) ship to dock at the new London Gateway arrives this
week:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...est-ships.html

I wonder how the movement of all these containers will affect the rail
network, such as the already heavily loaded North London line?

Does that mean London Gateway services can be called Scratchwood again?
Otherwise travel reports will get very confusing.
Old November 4th 13, 07:05 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Mon, 04 Nov 2013 07:44:19 +0000, Graeme Wall
wrote:

On 04/11/2013 07:29, Recliner wrote:
The first (official) ship to dock at the new London Gateway arrives this
week:

Not to be confused with the existing "London Gateway" (Scratchwood in
real money) then ? I foresee some fun if any satnavs have it as a
destination.

Old November 4th 13, 09:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I have a very good and free Android app called Marine Traffic which shows the whereabouts of almost every big boat in the world! Worth a look.

Old November 4th 13, 04:38 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil[_6_] View Post
Recliner writes:

The first (official) ship to dock at the new London Gateway arrives this
week:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...est-ships.html

I wonder how the movement of all these containers will affect the rail
network, such as the already heavily loaded North London line?

Does that mean London Gateway services can be called Scratchwood again?
Otherwise travel reports will get very confusing.
A good point! I never understood why they renamed it in the first place.
Old November 5th 13, 05:56 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

On 04/11/2013 07:29, Recliner wrote:
The first (official) ship to dock at the new London Gateway arrives this
week:

Not to be confused with the existing "London Gateway" (Scratchwood in
real money) then ? I foresee some fun if any satnavs have it as a
destination.

There is a big coach changeover place at "London Gateway" (Scratchwood),
I assume its still in use.

I can imagine if it does get used it is a destination for dropping off
and picking up coach passengers.

Phil
Old November 5th 13, 06:06 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

On 04/11/2013 07:29, Recliner wrote:
The first (official) ship to dock at the new London Gateway arrives this
week:

Not to be confused with the existing "London Gateway" (Scratchwood in
real money) then ? I foresee some fun if any satnavs have it as a
destination.

There is a big coach changeover place at "London Gateway" (Scratchwood),
I assume its still in use.

I can imagine if it does get used it is a destination for dropping off
and picking up coach passengers.

There is also a fairly busy hotel in the service station, so it's not as
absurd as a destination as it might seem.
Old November 5th 13, 07:36 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

On 04/11/2013 07:29, Recliner wrote:
The first (official) ship to dock at the new London Gateway arrives this
week:

Not to be confused with the existing "London Gateway" (Scratchwood in
real money) then ? I foresee some fun if any satnavs have it as a
destination.

There is a big coach changeover place at "London Gateway" (Scratchwood),
I assume its still in use.

I can imagine if it does get used it is a destination for dropping off
and picking up coach passengers.

The advantage of that particular motorway services is that it's all on one
side of the motorway. Southbound vehicles cross over the motorway to join
the service area on the northbound side, so it's a good place for vehicles
coming from both directions to meet. Having concluded their business,
vehicles can leave in the opposite direction from which they arrived.