London Banter

-   -   Elephant and Castle tube station (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/13685-elephant-castle-tube-station.html)

[email protected] November 11th 13 08:31 PM

Elephant and Castle tube station

There are two entrances at different bits of the roundabouts system. Which
of the Bakerloo and Northern is the old LER building on the corner of London
Road and Newington Causeway?

If I had to guess I would say Bakerloo but it would be nice to be sure.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Stephen Furley[_2_] November 11th 13 09:11 PM

Elephant and Castle tube station

There are two entrances at different bits of the roundabouts system. Which
of the Bakerloo and Northern is the old LER building on the corner of
London
Road and Newington Causeway?

If I had to guess I would say Bakerloo but it would be nice to be sure.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

I'm not sure of the road names, but the modern one by the shopping Centre is
the Northern Line, and the traditional one further North is the Bakerloo.
When my mother worked in the area in the early '70s the buildings were still
identified as such, as they also were on maps. Signs in the horrible
subways still pointed to the two stations as such much more recently. For
much longer than I can remember there has been an interchange passage below
ground, so you can use either entrance.

In the Northern Line station there is a short stairway which still has some
rather attractive original C&SLR dark brown and white tiles; at least they
were still there a few years ago, I hope they still are.

Mizter T November 11th 13 11:14 PM

Elephant and Castle tube station

On 11/11/2013 23:48, Paul Corfield wrote:

On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 15:31:43 -0600,
wrote:

There are two entrances at different bits of the roundabouts system. Which
of the Bakerloo and Northern is the old LER building on the corner of London
Road and Newington Causeway?

If I had to guess I would say Bakerloo but it would be nice to be sure.

It is the Bakerloo Line ticket hall there.

The Northern Line ticket hall is directly opposite the Met Tabernacle
and adjacent to the shopping centre.

The fact it's basically two distinct stations linked by passageways is
fairly obvious once underground - the Bakerloo exit is signed as being
for "South Bank University" and the Northern exit is signed as the
"Shopping Centre".

Many bus routes serve two stops at E&C near the two entrances - where
this happens the iBus announcements specifically flag up that one should
be used for the Northern line, and the other for the Bakerloo - a
thoughtful and useful inclusion.

The slightly imposing marble clad office block behind it, Skipton House,
was built for a Japanese bank who then never moved in, instead selling
it on to the government - it now accommodates part of the Department of
Health.

[email protected] November 11th 13 11:28 PM

Elephant and Castle tube station

wrote:

There are two entrances at different bits of the roundabouts system.
Which of the Bakerloo and Northern is the old LER building on the corner
of London Road and Newington Causeway?

If I had to guess I would say Bakerloo but it would be nice to be sure.

It is the Bakerloo Line ticket hall there.

The Northern Line ticket hall is directly opposite the Met Tabernacle
and adjacent to the shopping centre.

Thanks both Paul and Stephen.

I presume there are underground passages from the Northern Line to the older
exit that are readily accessible? The TfL Journey Planner suggests so.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Basil Jet[_3_] November 12th 13 11:05 PM

Elephant and Castle tube station

On 2013\11\12 00:44, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 18:28:20 -0600,
wrote:

wrote:

There are two entrances at different bits of the roundabouts system.
Which of the Bakerloo and Northern is the old LER building on the corner
of London Road and Newington Causeway?

If I had to guess I would say Bakerloo but it would be nice to be sure.

It is the Bakerloo Line ticket hall there.

The Northern Line ticket hall is directly opposite the Met Tabernacle
and adjacent to the shopping centre.

Thanks both Paul and Stephen.

I presume there are underground passages from the Northern Line to the older
exit that are readily accessible? The TfL Journey Planner suggests so.

Yes - both lines and ticket halls are linked underground. I think the
place was given a refurb a couple of years ago. It's been ages since I
went through either bit of E&C tube station. I tend to end up there
by bus!

Are you saying there are connections between the lines (which I would
expect) and also between the ticket halls (which seems pointless)?

[email protected] November 13th 13 08:38 AM

(Basil Jet) wrote:

On 2013\11\12 00:44, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 18:28:20 -0600,

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

except as part of the subway system under the very busy and complex road
junction.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] November 14th 13 12:15 AM

Elephant and Castle tube station

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

On Wed, 13 Nov 2013 00:05:58 +0000, Basil Jet
wrote:

On 2013\11\12 00:44, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 18:28:20 -0600,

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Lines but, of course, you can reach the ticket halls from the
platforms! Clearly you wouldn't walk through the station just for the
sake of it. Even at the Elephant it is marginally more convenient to
walk at street level between London Road and the shopping centre.

I made the comment so that it was clear (ahem!) that you could enter
at the Bakerloo ticket hall and get to the Northern line platforms or
enter at the Northern Line ticket hall and reach the Bakerloo
platforms. It is not one of those places where the parts of the
station are not all physically linked together.

Indeed. My wife found where she was going quite easily tonight.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Offramp November 14th 13 07:12 AM

On Monday, 11 November 2013 21:31:43 UTC, wrote:
There are two entrances at different bits of the roundabouts system. Which

of the Bakerloo and Northern is the old LER building on the corner of London

Road and Newington Causeway?

If I had to guess I would say Bakerloo but it would be nice to be sure.

Remember what that station used to be like in the 1970s & 80s? The proverbial cross between (all together!) Threads and The Equalizer.
Scary and very unpleasant.
Whenever I used to hear "Don't Sleep in the Subway, Darling" it was always the warren of subways beneath E&C that I imagined the singer's husband having a quick kip in.

Basil Jet[_3_] November 14th 13 10:13 AM

On 2013\11\14 08:12, Offramp wrote:
On Monday, 11 November 2013 21:31:43 UTC, wrote:
There are two entrances at different bits of the roundabouts system. Which

of the Bakerloo and Northern is the old LER building on the corner of London

Road and Newington Causeway?

If I had to guess I would say Bakerloo but it would be nice to be sure.

Remember what that station used to be like in the 1970s & 80s? The proverbial cross between (all together!) Threads and The Equalizer.
Scary and very unpleasant.
Whenever I used to hear "Don't Sleep in the Subway, Darling" it was always the warren of subways beneath E&C that I imagined the singer's husband having a quick kip in.

I've never heard the song, but I presume it's a warning against falling
asleep on a train rather than bedding down for the night in a corridor.