Old January 4th 14, 03:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

Default Happy and Prosperous 2014 to all

On Sat, 4 Jan 2014 10:27:40 +0100, Robin9
wrote:

;140333 Wrote:
On Wed, 01 Jan 2014 13:41:38 -0800
Aurora wrote:-
On Wed, 1 Jan 2014 19:18:18 +0000 (UTC),
-
On Wed, 1 Jan 2014 17:24:25 +0000
Roland Perry
wrote:-
In message
, at 09:04:08 on
Wed, 1 Jan 2014, Aurora
remarked:

HMG in the UK is funding the largest program of rolling
electrification to date. This may be the biggest rail investment
since the 1950s modernization.

More than the £9bn on the WCML upgrade or £15bn on Crossrail?

Investment funding across the network for the next 5 years, which
includes money to complete Crossrail and Thameslink, comes to £9bn-

Which will be small change compared to the costs of HS2 if it goes
ahead.-

That money could do so much good if spent elsewhere on the UK network.
The Welwyn bottleneck would be a good start.-

If the government had been honest and said simply that the west coast
main
line has reached capacity and a new parallel line is needed I suspect
most
people would be for HS2 or some version of it. But selling it as a way
just to
shave 15 mins off a trip to brum was moronic and quite rightly people
said it
would be a waste of money.

I wonder if it would be possible to increase the loading gauge on the
WCML
to allow double deck trains and increase capacity that way? Would be
bloody
expensive but perhaps not quite HS2 expensive.

--
Spud

Wouldn't it be cheaper to have longer trains? Before privatisation,
trains on all
main routes, not just WCML, were longer than they are now. As one who
travelled frequently by train in the '60s, '70s and '80s, I am always
struck by
how short today's trains are. I am not at all surprised that there is
overcrowding at peak times.

Good point, although I am not sure that the Pendelinos are that much
shorter than previous trains on the NW route. However, looking at
other routes, cross country, SW to Exeter, etc., the difference is
remarkable.
--

http://www.991fmtalk.com/ The DMZ in Reno

Old January 5th 14, 01:37 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post

wrote:-
[...]

While the Sprinter revolution proved that frequent short trains were better
than a few cross-country trains a day, the current East Coast trains for
example are more or less all that can fit into the platforms. Remember the
White Rose services that could only use platforms 1 and 6 at the Cross?

and when in loco-hauled days did Cambridge-London trains extended to 12 20m
coaches?

--
Colin Rosenstiel
In "my day" The Flying Scotsman was a loco-hauled 12 coach train with an

The Cambridge Buffet Express was a loco-hauled five coach train. FCC trains
are frequently only four coaches long.

Some other examples: Victoria to Brighton; Waterloo to Portsmouth via
Guildford; Waterloo to Bournemouth & Weymouth: all used to be 12 coach
trains. They're not today.

Old January 5th 14, 03:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 15:37:39 on Sun, 5
Jan 2014, Robin9 remarked:
In "my day" The Flying Scotsman was a loco-hauled 12 coach train with an
extra coach added on Fridays. It did leave from platform 1. How long is
the equivalent train today? My point is that if in those B.R. days the
train had been reduced to eight coaches, it too would have been
massively overcrowded.

The 10am northbound currently seems to be called the "Northern Lights"
and goes to Aberdeen. So will be an HST, most of which probably have 7
passenger cars. But these days there are many more other trains between
London and Scotland to catch; not just the 10am.

The Cambridge Buffet Express was a loco-hauled five coach train. FCC
trains are frequently only four coaches long.

Peak hour Cambridge trains are 12-car currently.
Old January 5th 14, 03:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On Sun, 5 Jan 2014 15:37:39 +0100, Robin9
wrote:

;140351 Wrote:
In article ,
(Robin9) wrote:
-
wrote:-
[...]

You are correct. For a long time the DoT/DfT utilized this tactic as
a way of reducing the role of the railways by attrition. The
minister would authorize a new fleet of trains, but there would be
fewer trains, and they would be shorter than the previous fleet.

A re-signalling program would be sanctioned. But, the department
would stipulate simpler (single lead) junction layouts. It is time to
reverse this trend.

--

http://www.991fmtalk.com/ The DMZ in Reno
Old January 5th 14, 03:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Robin9" wrote

In "my day" The Flying Scotsman was a loco-hauled 12 coach train with an
extra coach added on Fridays. It did leave from platform 1. How long is the
equivalent train today? My point is that if in those B.R. days the train
had
been reduced to eight coaches, it too would have been massively
overcrowded.

In the early years of the InterCity brand (1965-70) there were typically 5
daytime trains from Kings Cross to Edinburgh at 2 hour intervals, maybe with
a relief to the Flying Scotsman. A Deltic + 12 Mk1 or Mk2 was about 260
metres long. There are now typically 3 Kings Cross - Edinburgh trains every
2 hours. They are either a 91+9 Mk4 + DVT, or 2+9 HST, in either case about
247 metres - so only about half a coach shorter, and an extra coach would
cause problems with train lengths.

It has long been accepted that increasing frequency of InterCity trains
brings in an increase in passengers, which more than outweighs the extra
costs involved. The one big mistake with implementing this philosophy was
Operation Princess on Cross-country, when frequency was doubled, but seats
per hour remained essentially the same, resulting in a lot of overcrowding.

Peter

Old January 5th 14, 03:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote

The 10am northbound currently seems to be called the "Northern Lights" and
goes to Aberdeen. So will be an HST, most of which probably have 7
passenger cars. But these days there are many more other trains between
London and Scotland to catch; not just the 10am.

HSTs on East Coast are 2+9, i.e. 9 passenger cars, with only a small part of
the TGS taken up by a guard's and luggage compartment. Mk4 sets are 91+9
Mk4s + DVT. In Mk1 days a lot of the second class accommodation on the ECML
was in 48-seater SKs - very comfortable for those who like compartment
stock, but two Mk4s have more seats than 3 Mk1 SKs.

Peter