Old April 17th 14, 12:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london
CJB CJB is offline

Default [OT]Drinking on Duty

Whilst the driver of a tube train recently got caught I wonder how widespread drinking alcohol on duty actually is. Right now I'm connected to wifi in Soho Square. This is next to a very large Crossrail construction works. Many of the workmen from Crossrail in orange or yellow hi-viz jackets etc. have their lunch there. Many are drinking from cans of strong larger. OK - its dusty work but ... I wonder how many workers have been killed on such construction sites from their colleagues drinking alcohol at lunch-time? CJB.

Old April 17th 14, 03:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thursday, 17 April 2014 13:34:55 UTC+1, CJB wrote:
Many are drinking from cans of strong larger. OK - its dusty work but ...

Strong larger what?

Old April 17th 14, 06:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thursday, 17 April 2014 13:34:55 UTC+1, CJB wrote:
Whilst the driver of a tube train recently got caught I wonder how widespread drinking alcohol on duty actually is. Right now I'm connected to wifi in Soho Square. This is next to a very large Crossrail construction works. Many of the workmen from Crossrail in orange or yellow hi-viz jackets etc. have their lunch there. Many are drinking from cans of strong larger. OK - its dusty work but ... I wonder how many workers have been killed on such construction sites from their colleagues drinking alcohol at lunch-time? CJB..

I'm pretty surprised; is it possible they have finished for the day? It doesn't sound like it - it sounds like the are on a break (workers who have finished would have changed and gone home, or out). Years ago ago miners used to be allowed about ten pints of "small beer" a day to replace lost liquids. But STRONG lager would have a very deleterious effect.

Small beer was only 2-3% ABV, like a Mackeson.
Old April 17th 14, 09:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 17/04/2014 13:34, CJB wrote:
Whilst the driver of a tube train recently got caught I wonder how
widespread drinking alcohol on duty actually is. Right now I'm
connected to wifi in Soho Square. This is next to a very large
Crossrail construction works. Many of the workmen from Crossrail in
orange or yellow hi-viz jackets etc. have their lunch there. Many are
drinking from cans of strong larger. OK - its dusty work but ... I
wonder how many workers have been killed on such construction sites
from their colleagues drinking alcohol at lunch-time? CJB.

There has been one fatality on Crossrail, and I've not seen any
suggestion that alcohol was involved, so presumably the answer is zero?

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old April 17th 14, 09:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(contrex) wrote:

On Thursday, 17 April 2014 13:34:55 UTC+1, CJB wrote:
Many are drinking from cans of strong larger. OK - its dusty work
but ...

Strong larger what?

Cans of course!

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old April 17th 14, 10:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Arthur Figgis wrote:
On 17/04/2014 13:34, CJB wrote:
Whilst the driver of a tube train recently got caught I wonder how
widespread drinking alcohol on duty actually is. Right now I'm
connected to wifi in Soho Square. This is next to a very large
Crossrail construction works. Many of the workmen from Crossrail in
orange or yellow hi-viz jackets etc. have their lunch there. Many are
drinking from cans of strong larger. OK - its dusty work but ... I
wonder how many workers have been killed on such construction sites
from their colleagues drinking alcohol at lunch-time? CJB.

There has been one fatality on Crossrail, and I've not seen any
suggestion that alcohol was involved, so presumably the answer is zero?

Yup, I think the answer is precisely Zero.
Old April 17th 14, 11:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Offramp" wrote

On Thursday, 17 April 2014 13:34:55 UTC+1, CJB wrote:

[...]

Years ago ago miners used to be allowed about ten pints of "small beer" a
day to replace lost liquids. But STRONG lager would have a very deleterious
effect.

Small beer was only 2-3% ABV, like a Mackeson.

There was no standardisation and before Gay-Lussac no measurement but
probably not even 'near beer' strength unless the brewer used spent malt and
you got lucky.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_beer

--
Mike D