Old April 20th 14, 10:18 PM
Junior Member

Default Commuting from Sidcup, help!

Hi everyone. I'm moving to Sidcup from the north to live with my partner. I have a job in Southwark. Is driving a realistic option? How long would this take in the morning? 7.30ish. Would a train be a better idea? Thanks

Old April 21st 14, 07:05 AM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angusiswan View Post
Hi everyone. I'm moving to Sidcup from the north to live with my partner. I have a job in Southwark. Is driving a realistic option? How long would this take in the morning? 7.30ish. Would a train be a better idea? Thanks
Define "a realistic option." From Sidcup coming in, the obvious route is the A20.
In the morning rush hour there will be quite long tailbacks at each set of traffic
lights. From the Cliftons Roundabout onwards (A205) you will need to become an
expert in the back roads as the main roads will be clogged up.

A lot will depend on where in Southwark you will be working and if you have a
reserved parking space. A road journey will eventually become a frustrating bore
but so will any other way of coming to work. Welcome to London and the South-
east!
Old April 21st 14, 07:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 00:18:16 on Mon,
21 Apr 2014, Angusiswan
remarked:
I'm moving to Sidcup from the north to live with my

partner. I have a job in Southwark. Is driving a realistic option?

Where would you be proposing to park in Southwark?
Old April 21st 14, 11:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

--
Angusiswan

Most Sidcup residents including your partner would tell you it is a no
brainer.

Sidcup Rail Station
Take Southeastern towards London Charing Cross Rail Station
Alight at Waterloo East
Walk to Southwark
Average journey time about 30 min plus whatever it takes to walk to your
specific location at each end.

Old April 21st 14, 12:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

It would help if we knew what sense you were using the name "Southwark" as it is both a place in its own right and a local government area.

If you mean the area north of Elephant then you are going to be in the congestion charge zone and normal car use will be stupidly expensive even if you have parking available.

If on the other hand you mean somewhere in the south of the borough like Dulwich then it might be a different matter depending on the exact public transport options for your journey.

Old April 21st 14, 05:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 21/04/2014 13:34, Piatkow wrote:

It would help if we knew what sense you were using the name "Southwark" as it is both a place in its own right and a local government area.

If you mean the area north of Elephant then you are going to be in the congestion charge zone and normal car use will be stupidly expensive even if you have parking available.

If on the other hand you mean somewhere in the south of the borough like Dulwich then it might be a different matter depending on the exact public transport options for your journey.

Yep, it depends where the OP means. If it's in the southern end of the
Borough of Southwark then it might be possible to get there on the train
via Lewisham (e.g. one change to Peckham Rye, Denmark Hill or Nunhead),
or maybe via a train and bus combo (e.g. train to New Cross then bus).
Driving might not be too insane either.

I knew someone who did something like the reverse journey - out to
Sidcup - by bike. Kept them fit!
Old April 21st 14, 05:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 21/04/2014 08:29, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 00:18:16 on Mon,
21 Apr 2014, Angusiswan remarked:
I'm moving to Sidcup from the north to live with my
partner. I have a job in Southwark. Is driving a realistic option?

Where would you be proposing to park in Southwark?

The Borough thereof isn't entirely covered by CPZs (unlike, say, LB
Islington). Of course, that doesn't mean there will necessarily readily
be a space when you get there.
Old April 22nd 14, 04:11 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piatkow View Post
It would help if we knew what sense you were using the name "Southwark" as it is both a place in its own right and a local government area.

If you mean the area north of Elephant then you are going to be in the congestion charge zone and normal car use will be stupidly expensive even if you have parking available.
Hybrid vehicles such as the Toyota Prius and all-electric cars are exempt
from the "congestion charge." We don't know what car he will be driving.
Old April 22nd 14, 08:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Robin9 wrote:
Piatkow;141862 Wrote:
It would help if we knew what sense you were using the name "Southwark"
as it is both a place in its own right and a local government area.

If you mean the area north of Elephant then you are going to be in the
congestion charge zone and normal car use will be stupidly expensive
even if you have parking available.

Hybrid vehicles such as the Toyota Prius and all-electric cars are
exempt
from the "congestion charge." We don't know what car he will be driving.

The ultra low emission exemption is being steadily tightened up, as engines
get cleaner. Here's the current list:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/...and-exemptions
Old April 22nd 14, 09:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Hence the word "normal" as shorthand for "assuming that your car isn't covered by one of the exemptions listed in the document http://www.tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/congestion-charge/discounts-and-exemptions"