Old May 6th 14, 01:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default OT Turkey Street and mills

On Sat, May 03, 2014 at 01:06:34PM +0100, Basil Jet wrote:

Which makes me wonder, why are mills usually built astride the river?

A good reason for doing that is that it means you can avoid having a
horrible twisting force on the axle supporting the wheel, so can build
it lighter and it'll turn more freely. You want to have equal forces on
both ends of the axle, so, eg, having mill stones driven off both ends
rather than just a static support at one end and the mill at t'other.
Another is that you can have a seperate mill race and river and, in
times when land transport was slow and expensive, float a barge full of
sacks of grain right under the trap door so that a crane driven off the
water wheel can quickly unload it.

Whether the savings from doing those are sufficient to make up for the
cost of putting up a building on a bridge I have no idea.

--
David Cantrell | top google result for "internet beard fetish club"

Disappointment:
n: No results found for "priapic dwarf custard wrestling".
Old May 6th 14, 02:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, May 03, 2014 at 05:08:11PM +0100, Basil Jet wrote:

I'm not convinced... no matter how narrow a stream is, it won't normally
be built over unless it's a high density urban area.

I wouldn't call Winchester a high density urban area even now, let alone
at the time when its mill was built straddling the river.

--
David Cantrell | Pope | First Church of the Symmetrical Internet

Vegetarian: n: a person who, due to malnutrition caused by
poor lifestyle choices, is eight times more likely to
catch TB than a normal person

Old May 6th 14, 03:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2014\05\06 15:01, David Cantrell wrote:
On Sat, May 03, 2014 at 05:08:11PM +0100, Basil Jet wrote:

I'm not convinced... no matter how narrow a stream is, it won't normally
be built over unless it's a high density urban area.

I wouldn't call Winchester a high density urban area even now, let alone
at the time when its mill was built straddling the river.

That's precisely my point - mills are often built over rivers even
though no other building is.