Old February 4th 04, 09:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Whats the quickest way....

...from Paddington station to Cannon St tube station on public transport?

I have a few suggestions not sure which would be the quickest:

1) Paddington to Cannon St tube station east bound, ie via Baker St and
Liverpool St
2) Paddington to Cannon St tube station west bound, ie via Victoria
3) Paddington to Oxford Circus on Bakerloo line, change to central line to
Bank, 7-10 mins walk to Cannon St tube station
4) From Paddington, walk to Lancaster Gate (10 mins) and catch central line
to Bank. 7-10 mins walk to Cannon St tube station
5) Paddington to Moorgate on circle line, 15 mins walk to Cannon St tube
station

Are there any other routes, and how long should I expect the journey to
take?

Thanks in advance

Old February 4th 04, 10:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In ,
Scooby Doo typed:
..from Paddington station to Cannon St tube station on public
transport?

I have a few suggestions not sure which would be the quickest:

1) Paddington to Cannon St tube station east bound, ie via Baker St
and Liverpool St
2) Paddington to Cannon St tube station west bound, ie via Victoria
3) Paddington to Oxford Circus on Bakerloo line, change to central
line to Bank, 7-10 mins walk to Cannon St tube station
4) From Paddington, walk to Lancaster Gate (10 mins) and catch
central line to Bank. 7-10 mins walk to Cannon St tube station
5) Paddington to Moorgate on circle line, 15 mins walk to Cannon St
tube station

Are there any other routes, and how long should I expect the journey
to take?

Bakerloo Line to Embankment, then District/Circle Line to Cannon Street -
about half an hour.

Bob

Old February 4th 04, 11:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Scooby Doo) wrote:

..from Paddington station to Cannon St tube station on public
transport?

Well, it's not a "tube station", but still... :-)

I should have thought Bakerloo to Embankment, change to
District/Circle.

--
Peter Beale
Old February 4th 04, 11:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 22:06:29 -0000, "Scooby Doo"
wrote:

..from Paddington station to Cannon St tube station on public transport?

snip

Are there any other routes, and how long should I expect the journey to
take?

TfL's Journey Planner suggests Bakerloo Line to Embankment, then
District/Circle Line to Cannon Street, taking around 25 minutes.

HTH,

Barry

--
Barry Salter, barry at southie dot me dot uk
Read uk.* newsgroups? Read uk.net.news.announce!

DISCLAIMER: The above comments do not necessarily represent the
views of my employers.
Old February 5th 04, 12:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Scooby Doo" wrote:

..from Paddington station to Cannon St tube station on public transport?

I have a few suggestions not sure which would be the quickest:

1) Paddington to Cannon St tube station east bound, ie via Baker St and
Liverpool St

Circle Line service over much of this section is shared with the Hammersmith
& City/Met/Wimbleware, which can give some nasty gaps in the Circle service.
Best to take the first train and change at Edgware Road if necessary, then
bale out at Moorgate and walk, as per option 5.

2) Paddington to Cannon St tube station west bound, ie via Victoria

Same potential problems with extended intervals on the Circle, with the
other option being to take a Wimbleware and change at Earls Court to a
District.

3) Paddington to Oxford Circus on Bakerloo line, change to central line to
Bank, 7-10 mins walk to Cannon St tube station

The need to change trains increases the chances of something going wrong. I
can't recall if Bakerloo - Central is an easy interchange at Oxford Circus,
though IIRC it isn't cross-platform. This would probably be my second
choice.

4) From Paddington, walk to Lancaster Gate (10 mins) and catch central

line
to Bank. 7-10 mins walk to Cannon St tube station

Assuming you aren't encumbered with heavy luggage/kids/a mobility problem,
this should be the quickest way. No change of trains required, and the
Central line is generally frequent on this section, and fairly swift. Can
get extremely crowded in the peaks, however.

5) Paddington to Moorgate on circle line, 15 mins walk to Cannon St tube
station

Better than (1) because Circle trains often pause at Aldgate for driver
refreshments/toilet break (?), then frequently get held awaiting a clear
signal for the junction with the District.

Are there any other routes, and how long should I expect the journey to
take?

Bakerloo to Embankment, then District/Circle. If the first train is a
Mansion House reverser, just get it and walk from there (4 minutes).

Option (4). 10 minutes walk to Central Line platform level. 3 minutes wait
(Mon-Sat). 16 minute journey (off peak). 7 minutes walk from platform level
at Bank to Cannon Street. That equals 36 minutes. If you're prepared to
'run' the walks, and are lucky for the Central Line, it could be done in
half an hour. If it's an important job interview/wedding/funeral, allow at
least 60 minutes.

Chris

Old February 5th 04, 11:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Bob Wood" wrote:

Scooby Doo typed:
..from Paddington station to Cannon St tube station on public
transport?

Bakerloo Line to Embankment, then District/Circle Line to Cannon
Street - about half an hour.

That's probably the quickest way. Bus route 15 runs direct between these
two points - it takes a little longer, but might be more convenient (for
example, if you are carrying luggage).

Are you catching a National Rail train from Cannon Street? If so, you may
find it quicker and easier to go to London Bridge, and catch your train
there. From Paddington, get the Bakerloo Line to Baker Street, changing to
the Jubilee Line (a very easy cross-platform interchange) for London Bridge.

HTH

--
MetroGnome
~~~~~~~~~~

Old February 6th 04, 12:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In ,
MetroGnome typed:

Are you catching a National Rail train from Cannon Street? If so,
you may find it quicker and easier to go to London Bridge, and catch
your train there.

But make sure the train does actually stop at London Bridge. I'm not sure
they all do in the peaks.

Bob

Old February 7th 04, 12:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I can't recall if Bakerloo - Central is an easy interchange at
Oxford Circus, though IIRC it isn't cross-platform. This would
probably be my second choice.

It's not. It is down a flight of stairs and down another.
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acro...ltoggyplan.gif

The Bakerloo Northbound and Victoria Northbound are cross platform.
And likewise southbound

--

Andrew Black
andrewblack at despammed.com