London Banter

-   -   TfL acknowledges contactless technology risk (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/13930-tfl-acknowledges-contactless-technology-risk.html)

Roland Perry June 28th 14 08:01 PM

TfL acknowledges contactless technology risk

In message , at 16:37:48 on Sat, 28 Jun
2014, d remarked:
Perhaps this is why they have trials. The geeks in the office don't
even bother to come up with a set of scenarios that don't work and
postulate solutions, before implementation of a trial. They just wait
to see what breaks and fix it later (no doubt to the immense
inconvenience of the first customer who tries it)

It's a bit more pre-planned than that, although I agree there have been
some major hiccups that should have been anticipated. For example my EMT
card would only allow me to buy Child tickets, because the card knows
your age and the simplest explanations is that they'd coded the DOB
field on the card with its issue date.

A lot of effort and HUGE amounts of money just to replace a small bit of
paper card that did the job fine. What a joke.

Lots of bits of card, actually. Hint: not everyone has a season ticket.

Roland Perry June 28th 14 08:04 PM

TfL acknowledges contactless technology risk

In message , at 13:08:57
on Sat, 28 Jun 2014, remarked:
You and Roland are missing the point I was making which applied solely
to C2C.

I'm sure they also have peak/offpeak rules which staff can
misunderstand.

A lot simpler than those of GA & FCC, i bet.

They seem to have just one off-peak ticket on weekdays, valid for
arrival in London after 10am and any train back.

So this ITSO trial on C2C isn't really going to test how well they
can cope with a mixture of evening restrictions.

Indeed, as the barriers at Cambridge can't do already. Every time I come
back on an Off-Peak Day Return in the evening peak from Liverpool St (as
permitted) the barrier doesn't let me out.

The barriers at Kings Cross won't open for an off-peak return to Ely,
which is also valid in the evening peak. Although the last two times I
had one of those tickets the barriers there were locked open.

[email protected] June 28th 14 08:36 PM

TfL acknowledges contactless technology risk

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at
13:08:57 on Sat, 28 Jun 2014,
remarked:

Indeed, as the barriers at Cambridge can't do already. Every time I come
back on an Off-Peak Day Return in the evening peak from Liverpool St (as
permitted) the barrier doesn't let me out.

The barriers at Kings Cross won't open for an off-peak return to Ely,
which is also valid in the evening peak. Although the last two times
I had one of those tickets the barriers there were locked open.

As is often the case at Cambridge, thanks to the ORR insisting.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Brian Gregory June 28th 14 11:39 PM

TfL acknowledges contactless technology risk

On 24/06/2014 20:18, CJB wrote:
If you touch your Oyster card on a yellow card reader when it's in the same
wallet or purse as another contactless card, the reader may detect more than
one card. When this happens, the card reader doesn't know which one to read
so rejects them and you could experience any of the following:

That's a strange way to describe it.

If there is more than one contactless cards present it's likely that
they will respond to the readers energy field at the same time and the
reader will just see a corrupt response.

--

Brian Gregory (in the UK).

tim..... June 29th 14 07:26 AM

TfL acknowledges contactless technology risk

"Neil Williams" wrote in message
.net...
On Sat, 28 Jun 2014 09:44:14 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:
They could be, but the idea is that one day ITSO will be used

across the
country on routes that do have period returns.

It's out of date before they even start.

In what way?

tim

tim..... June 29th 14 07:27 AM

"Brian Gregory" wrote in message
On 24/06/2014 20:18, CJB wrote:
If you touch your Oyster card on a yellow card reader when it's in the
same
wallet or purse as another contactless card, the reader may detect more
than
one card. When this happens, the card reader doesn't know which one to
read
so rejects them and you could experience any of the following:

That's a strange way to describe it.

If there is more than one contactless cards present it's likely that they
will respond to the readers energy field at the same time and the reader
will just see a corrupt response.

anecdotal evidence suggests that the PP was entirely correct

tim

David Walters June 29th 14 08:14 AM

TfL acknowledges contactless technology risk

On Sat, 28 Jun 2014 10:55:54 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:
More difficult is if you have trips to different destinations loaded as
vouchers. Say you live in Grays and have vouchers for both Southend and
London, because you anticipate visiting both soon (and not necessarily
knowing in which order). Which voucher should it swap for a ticket?

Order is apparently important. From
http://www.c2c-online.co.uk/customer...c2c-smart-faqs "PLEASE
NOTE: Tickets can only be used in the order in which they were purchased".

tim..... June 29th 14 08:41 AM

wrote:
More difficult is if you have trips to different destinations loaded as
vouchers. Say you live in Grays and have vouchers for both Southend and
London, because you anticipate visiting both soon (and not necessarily
knowing in which order). Which voucher should it swap for a ticket?

Order is apparently important. From
http://www.c2c-online.co.uk/customer...c2c-smart-faqs "PLEASE
NOTE: Tickets can only be used in the order in which they were purchased".

That still doesn't help with deciding if a pax who travelled from home (A)
to work (X) on a return ticket and has just purchased a ticket from X to B,
is starting his journey to B or his return to A.

We could, of course, come up with some rules to resolve every such
conflicts, but that, I would suggest, would make user reluctance to use such
tickets reach the stratosphere

tim

Michael R N Dolbear June 29th 14 02:07 PM

TfL acknowledges contactless technology risk

"Michael R N Dolbear" wrote

"tim....." wrote

Except for ITSO concession cards. Stagecoach have implemented limited
smartcard facilities and handle bus passes automatically, as do Whippet
round here.

I though all local buses were supposed to handle oldies bus passes

electronically - it's TfL who are behind the curve on this one.

Certainly all in Kent and Hants do

"all" ?

No requirement for electronic acceptance at all.

I note that North Surrey have 10 operators(most very small) + TFL. The
only

one that accepts National bus pass touches is Arriva

And to update, as of today, my Abellio bus (route 458) wanted my ITSO
National concession card touched on its yellow pad and issued me a paper
ticket when the light went green.

--
Mike D

Mizter T June 29th 14 07:13 PM

TfL acknowledges contactless technology risk

On 27/06/2014 17:03, Matthew Dickinson wrote:

On Friday, 27 June 2014 16:22:16 UTC+1, Roland Perry wrote:

07:52:57 on Fri, 27 Jun 2014, Matthew Dickinson
remarked:

ITSO on c2c is available now , so the 2017 rollout must refer to either
payment at ticket offices, or a similar scheme to TfL.

Can you get a TfL Travelcard on C2C ITSO (or more to the point, will TfL
recognise it?)

Similarly, have C2C already implemented ITSO-purse purchasing of walk-up
tickets at machines?

It was launched on the 16th June between West Horndon, Tilbury Town and
Shoeburyness. Online and TVMs are both advertised as ways to load tickets.

13th October is the date for Travelcards to be available.

http://www.c2c-online.co.uk/tickets-...art-card/index

Does it still count as vapourware, Roland?