Old February 22nd 04, 08:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Queenstown Road

John Haines wrote:
In article ,
Proctor46 wrote:
Finland*

when did we go to war with Finland?

1853 ish. But it was run by the Russians at the time. As part of the
Crimean War we (and the French) bombarded the island fortress just off
Helsinki.

It was the other bit of Russia we could reach by sea.

The fortress had originally been built with French assistance. That
was when Finland was part of Sweden!

Not forgetting Russia itself in 1919.

Old February 27th 04, 06:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london
A H A H is offline

"Arthur Figgis" ] wrote in message
On 21 Feb 2004 18:30:38 GMT, (Mait001) wrote:

That's your opinion, but a remote Scotsman is (in my opinion) still more

likely
to share my language than someone from abroad.

How about someone from the Gaelic-seaking Hebrides and an Irishman
from (non-Irish speaking except maybe in school) Dublin?

I can understand many Dutchmen speaking English as a second language
better than I can many Britons speaking it as their first. I've found
it easier to ask for help from staff at Utrecht Centraal than at
Clapham Junction...

Try asking asking many people in the 'sarf east' directions: "Awight mate,
raahnd 'ere, fird on the wight, stwait dahn, fird on weft"........

Currency & economy

This has never been true. The economy in the North is nothing like the
economy in the South.

There may be variations in the economy, but we share a currency AND a

unified
economic policy e.g. interest rates etc.

Spain and Finland share a currency. They even have the same bank
notes, so no "Scottish pound note" problems.

The ""Scottish pound note" problems" is only a *problem* if you are a little
Englander who fails to realise that Scottish bank notes are *legal tender*
throughout the UK. People in Scotland have accepted 'English' bank notes
without fuss (or ignorance) for centuries, no holding up to the light and
with a dismissive "nah, only accept English notes mates" comments if you
present an English bank note in Scotland. Scottish notes are therefore only
a 'problem' to some English people (usually in the south), a little bit of
education might help - on the other hand I've experienced numerous English
people (especially London taxi drivers) who don't have any problem with
Scottish notes, some even say "I think they look better, I'll take
barrowloads of Scottish notes, nuffink wrong with 'em".

Vive la United Kingdom!

Old February 27th 04, 07:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"A H" wrote in message

The ""Scottish pound note" problems" is only a *problem* if you are a

little
Englander who fails to realise that Scottish bank notes are *legal tender*
throughout the UK. People in Scotland have accepted 'English' bank notes
without fuss (or ignorance) for centuries, no holding up to the light and
with a dismissive "nah, only accept English notes mates" comments if you
present an English bank note in Scotland. Scottish notes are therefore

only
a 'problem' to some English people (usually in the south), a little bit of
education might help - on the other hand I've experienced numerous English
people (especially London taxi drivers) who don't have any problem with
Scottish notes, some even say "I think they look better, I'll take
barrowloads of Scottish notes, nuffink wrong with 'em".

This is incorrect I'm afraid. I refer you to page 174 of David Smiths' "Free
Lunch":

"Legal tender simply means what people are required to accept, under the
law, in payment of debts... For generations, Scotsmen down for the rugby
have been outraged when London taxi drivers have refused to accept their
Scottish banknotes. The cabbies are perfectly within their rights. While
generally accepted north of the border, Scottish banknotes are not legal
tender even in Scotland".

Crazy logic, huh?

Jonn

Old February 27th 04, 07:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In
A H wrote:

The ""Scottish pound note" problems" is only a *problem* if you are a little
Englander who fails to realise that Scottish bank notes are *legal tender*
throughout the UK.

Scottish notes only have to be accepted in Scotland. Likewise, Bank of
England notes only have to be accepted in England and Wales. Some
retailers in England will take Scottish notes because they recognise them
and know that their banks will take them (same for the various Northern Irish
notes). Everyone accepts English notes, not because they have to, but
because sterling is an international currency.

I heard a lawyer explain this on "Money Box Live".

--
kedron
Old February 27th 04, 08:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"A H" wrote in message

[...]

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/bankn...egaltender.htm

It appears the only legal tender in Scotland is the 1 or 2 pound coin. One
of my local newsagents (near Southampton) has a newspaper cutting by the
till explaining that he does not have to accept Scottish notes, as they are
not legal tender. When I challenged him, he said the main reason was that
there were too many forged Scottish notes about.

Paul

Old February 28th 04, 01:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Is it not the case that banknotes (whomsoever they are issued by) are simply
that: a note from the bank stating that the bank concerned will pay the bearer
on demand the amount stated, i.e. in gold?

That being so, the Royal Bank of Scotland (in Edinburgh) would be obliged to
honour only one of its notes in the same way that the Bank of England in London
would only be obliged to honour one of its notes.

I am reminded of the apocryphal tale of the man who went to the Bank of England
and stated that he was "The Bearer", and when asked what he meant, simply
stated he wanted the equivalent of the note he was presenting in gold.

Marc.
Old February 28th 04, 01:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mait001" wrote in message
Is it not the case that banknotes (whomsoever they are issued by) are

simply
that: a note from the bank stating that the bank concerned will pay the

bearer
on demand the amount stated, i.e. in gold?

That being so, the Royal Bank of Scotland (in Edinburgh) would be obliged

honour only one of its notes in the same way that the Bank of England in

London
would only be obliged to honour one of its notes.

I'm pretty sure that's correct, but only the Bank of England notes are
"legal tender" - eg have to be accepted as payment where offered.

Jonn

Old February 28th 04, 02:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Mait001
writes

Is it not the case that banknotes (whomsoever they are issued by) are simply
that: a note from the bank stating that the bank concerned will pay the bearer
on demand the amount stated,

Yes.

i.e. in gold?

No. Just in coinage I'm afraid!

--
Paul Terry
Old February 28th 04, 11:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

A H wrote
[...]
The ""Scottish pound note" problems" is only a *problem* if you are a

little
Englander who fails to realise that Scottish bank notes are *legal

tender*
throughout the UK. People in Scotland have accepted 'English' bank

notes
without fuss (or ignorance) for centuries,

"Legal Tender" has a definite legal meaning and Scottish bank notes are
not in fact legal tender even in Scotland, in fact no currency notes
are legal tender in Scotland so Bank of England and Scottish bank notes
are on precisely the same basis there.

--
Mike D
Old February 29th 04, 07:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Mait001 wrote:

Is it not the case that banknotes (whomsoever they are issued by) are
simply that: a note from the bank stating that the bank concerned will pay
the bearer on demand the amount stated, i.e. in gold?

Was a pound ever worth a pound of gold?

That being so, the Royal Bank of Scotland (in Edinburgh) would be obliged
to honour only one of its notes in the same way that the Bank of England
in London would only be obliged to honour one of its notes.

UIVMM they're not *simply* that - the Bank Of England control how many
Scottish pounds are issued...

I am reminded of the apocryphal tale of the man who went to the Bank of
England and stated that he was "The Bearer", and when asked what he meant,
simply stated he wanted the equivalent of the note he was presenting in gold.

What did he get?