Old February 5th 04, 08:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Queenstown Road

I had the occasion to use this museum piece today, changing onto the
Victoria to London Bridge service at Battersea Park. When was a single
penny last spent on Queenstown Road. The sign above the abandoned ticket
office window read 'Southern' and the sign outside on street level read
'London and South Western Railway'. The tiles on the staircase must date
from at least before WWII, perhaps older. Why is this in such a sorry
state?
Thanks for any comments,
Martin.

Old February 5th 04, 10:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Martin J" wrote:

When was a single penny last spent on Queenstown Road. The sign above
the abandoned ticket office window read 'Southern' and the sign outside on
street level read 'London and South Western Railway'.

The station was repainted some time in the 1990s - it was at this time that
the old railway company names reappeared.

--
MetroGnome
~~~~~~~~~~

Old February 6th 04, 07:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

The sign above the abandoned ticket
office window read 'Southern' and the sign outside on street level
read 'London and South Western Railway'.

I hope you're not suggesting these should be ripped out and replaced
with "South West Trains" (until the franchise changes). There's no harm
in a bit of history being retained.

That's not saying the station should not be refurbished!

Or, even worse, replaced with an ugly new facile logo I have seen defacing
stations around London: "Overground Network". I have to confess, the first few
times I saw this ugly"ON" logo I thought it was an advert for a new mobile
'phone company (e.g. "Orange Network")!

"Overground Network" - just how stupid do the operators (whoever they happen to
be this week, as opposed to last week and next week) think we are. And, they
are spening MONEY on this idiocy!

Marc.

Old February 6th 04, 09:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mait001" wrote in message

"Overground Network" - just how stupid do the operators (whoever they

happen to
be this week, as opposed to last week and next week) think we are. And,

they
are spening MONEY on this idiocy!

Except that ON is actually a TfL initiative that has been foisted upon the
train operators in some parts of the capital.

Old February 6th 04, 11:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Mait001
writes
"Overground Network" - just how stupid do the operators (whoever they happen to
be this week, as opposed to last week and next week) think we are.

Maybe they are Wombles fans?
Old February 7th 04, 12:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Overground Network" - just how stupid do the operators (whoever they
happen to
be this week, as opposed to last week and next week) think we are. And,

they
are spening MONEY on this idiocy!

Except that ON is actually a TfL initiative that has been foisted upon the
train operators in some parts of the capital.

In which case, even more idiotic, and another legacy of the fools that vote for
having a Mayor of London and all the munificence that this has brought.

Are we, passengers (sorry, customers) so stupid as to be unable to distinguish
between the Underground and overground?!

Marc.
Old February 7th 04, 01:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

In message , Mait001
writes
[..]
Are we, passengers (sorry, customers) so stupid as to be unable to distinguish
between the Underground and overground?!

In some cases, yes!
(Seeing that much of the Underground is over ground)
--
Kat Me, Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Old February 7th 04, 01:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mait001 wrote:

Are we, passengers (sorry, customers) so stupid as to be unable to
distinguish between the Underground and overground?!

Regrettably, in many cases, yes.

There are people who still think that BR is running the national railway
network.

Old February 7th 04, 01:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Mait001
writes

Are we, passengers (sorry, customers) so stupid as to be unable to distinguish
between the Underground and overground?!

ON (the Overground Network) doesn't refer to the whole of the train
system that is above ground.

It is a specific network of high-frequency, metro-style services with an
off-peak frequency of at least four trains an hour. Currently it is
being piloted on four South-London routes (including our local Richmond
line).

To some extent yes, it is a marketing exercise, but the ON also includes
better passenger information, station security and upgraded station
facilities - all welcome improvements.

--
Paul Terry