Old July 14th 14, 07:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default On line rail map for UK and Ireland

My mother lived near there for a while so I used to walk some of the
walks and there's still some, err, junk in my, ummmm, junk piles. Old
OS maps show it as a tramway running to a Hasting Corporation Water
Works' Combe Haven pumping station from Adam's Farm (which I think was
the nearest road - using the term loosely).

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Old July 15th 14, 10:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 08:49:15AM +0100, Robin wrote:

My mother lived near there for a while so I used to walk some of the
walks and there's still some, err, junk in my, ummmm, junk piles. Old
OS maps show it as a tramway running to a Hasting Corporation Water
Works' Combe Haven pumping station from Adam's Farm (which I think was
the nearest road - using the term loosely).

There *are* some pumping stations in the area - more for drainage of the
farm land than drinking water I think - but they're quite a way down
stream. Using google maps satellite view I can't see anything that
looks like even the site of an old pumping station at the end of that
line. I suppose it must be hidden in the trees.

And I can see "pumping stations" (but no tramway) he
http://www.npemap.org.uk/tiles/map.html#574,110,1

Thanks!

Do you have a link to (or a scan of) any better maps?

--
David Cantrell
Professor of Unvironmental Science
Old July 15th 14, 11:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

There *are* some pumping stations in the area - more for drainage of
the farm land than drinking water I think - but they're quite a way
down stream. Using google maps satellite view I can't see anything
that looks like even the site of an old pumping station at the end of
that line. I suppose it must be hidden in the trees.

And I can see "pumping stations" (but no tramway) he
http://www.npemap.org.uk/tiles/map.html#574,110,1

Thanks!

Do you have a link to (or a scan of) any better maps?

try http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html

at coordinates 576000 110572 and select the 1930 OS 2500. That show's
it as a tramway to the Hasting Corporation Water Works' Crowhurst
Pumping Station. (Apologies for my wrongly attaching the Combe Haven
label.)

I'd guess (and it is a pure guess) the tramway might have been used to
move coal to fuel steam engines for the pumps from the road - or
possibly dropped from the railway at the farm?

PS
Apologies for taking this ever further OT for UTL