London Banter

-   -   Tunbridge Wells (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/13997-tunbridge-wells.html)

[email protected] August 3rd 14 12:15 AM

Tunbridge Wells

Hello all,

Can you use your Oyster card for Pay-as-You-Go from London Bridge to
Tundbridge Wells?

Thanks in advance.

Charles Ellson[_2_] August 3rd 14 05:17 AM

Tunbridge Wells

On Sun, 03 Aug 2014 01:15:34 +0100, "
wrote:

Hello all,

Can you use your Oyster card for Pay-as-You-Go from London Bridge to
Tundbridge Wells?

Not according to anything I can see on the NR website (assuming it is
up to date). There doesn't seem to be anything definite announced
since e.g. "A spokesman for Southeastern confirmed: “We’re in
discussions with Transport for London to extend Oyster into Dartford."
[Kent Online 21 Feb 2014]

Tunbridge Wells being even further away from Greater London and AFAIAA
with a lower thicko count (Dartford seems to have a particular problem
with people unaware that Oyster has geographical limits) might not be
so far up the list for providing Oyster.

DRH[_2_] August 3rd 14 05:29 AM

Tunbridge Wells

I can confirm that Oyster PAYG is not valid. The outer boundary on the Hastings etc line is Knockholt.

DRH
(resident of RTW)

Roland Perry August 3rd 14 06:56 AM

Tunbridge Wells

In message , at 06:17:35 on
Sun, 3 Aug 2014, Charles Ellson remarked:
Can you use your Oyster card for Pay-as-You-Go from London Bridge to
Tundbridge Wells?

Not according to anything I can see on the NR website (assuming it is
up to date). There doesn't seem to be anything definite announced
since e.g. "A spokesman for Southeastern confirmed: “We’re in
discussions with Transport for London to extend Oyster into Dartford."
[Kent Online 21 Feb 2014]

Tunbridge Wells being even further away from Greater London and AFAIAA
with a lower thicko count (Dartford seems to have a particular problem
with people unaware that Oyster has geographical limits) might not be
so far up the list for providing Oyster.

The problem with extending Oyster is that it has a very finite number of
price-zones and it's possible these were exhausted when extended to
Shenfield.

[email protected] August 3rd 14 09:20 AM

Tunbridge Wells

On Sun, 03 Aug 2014 06:17:35 +0100
Charles Ellson wrote:
Tunbridge Wells being even further away from Greater London and AFAIAA
with a lower thicko count (Dartford seems to have a particular problem
with people unaware that Oyster has geographical limits) might not be
so far up the list for providing Oyster.

The medway towns seem to have a higher proportion of dimwits than most
other places in the southeast.

--
Spud

Mizter T August 3rd 14 09:33 AM

Tunbridge Wells

On 03/08/2014 01:15, wrote:
Hello all,

Can you use your Oyster card for Pay-as-You-Go from London Bridge to
Tundbridge Wells?

Thanks in advance.

No. The "London's rail and Tube services" map shows the extent of
Oyster-land with a black dotted/broken line:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/maps/track/national-rail

The box on the left hand side of the map also explains the standard
exceptions (HEx etc).

Roland Perry August 3rd 14 09:45 AM

Tunbridge Wells

In message , at 10:33:54 on Sun, 3 Aug 2014,
Mizter T remarked:
Can you use your Oyster card for Pay-as-You-Go from London Bridge to
Tundbridge Wells?

Thanks in advance.

No. The "London's rail and Tube services" map shows the extent of
Oyster-land with a black dotted/broken line:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/maps/track/national-rail

From which we can see that the number of places outside the classic
"Zones" is really rather small.

Tim Watts[_3_] August 3rd 14 10:40 AM

Tunbridge Wells

On 03/08/14 01:15, wrote:
Hello all,

Can you use your Oyster card for Pay-as-You-Go from London Bridge to
Tundbridge Wells?

Thanks in advance.

I live on that line. The answer is no.

And they do have RPIs at TBW periodically so don't take a chance.

However, provided you can find him, the guard on the train will be more
than happy to sell you a ticket and I have never seen the RPIs *on* the
train (through trains to Ore/Hastings).

DRH[_2_] August 3rd 14 11:39 AM

Tunbridge Wells

For five years, Mr Burrows never saw an RPI either ....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ain-fares.html

DRH

tim..... August 3rd 14 12:29 PM

Tunbridge Wells

wrote:

Hello all,

Can you use your Oyster card for Pay-as-You-Go from London Bridge to
Tundbridge Wells?

Not according to anything I can see on the NR website (assuming it is
up to date). There doesn't seem to be anything definite announced
since e.g. "A spokesman for Southeastern confirmed: "We're in
discussions with Transport for London to extend Oyster into Dartford."
[Kent Online 21 Feb 2014]

Tunbridge Wells being even further away from Greater London and AFAIAA
with a lower thicko count (Dartford seems to have a particular problem
with people unaware that Oyster has geographical limits

The fact that you can use it go go there by bus and that it is a convenient
connection point for some Z1-6 to Z1-6 journeys might have something to do
with this

tim