London Banter

-   -   Bus blinds (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/14045-bus-blinds.html)

francis September 19th 14 09:19 PM

Bus blinds

Is there any reason that some London buses have white destination blinds & some have yellow?

[email protected] September 19th 14 10:14 PM

Bus blinds

On 19.09.14 22:19, francis wrote:
Is there any reason that some London buses have white destination blinds & some have yellow?

It's a gradual shift from yellow to white.

[email protected] September 19th 14 10:33 PM

Bus blinds

In article , () wrote:

On 19.09.14 22:19, francis wrote:
Is there any reason that some London buses have white destination
blinds & some have yellow?

It's a gradual shift from yellow to white.

Return, you mean. i noticed in Edinburgh this week they are increasingly
using white light digital displays to replace blinds like those in London.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Basil Jet[_4_] September 20th 14 06:00 PM

Bus blinds

On 2014\09\20 09:46, wrote:

At one time at night if you saw a white blind approaching it would be
a normal bus, if you saw a yellow one it was a Greenline service.
Despite catching one regulary with my Gran she always said "how did
you know it was that one coming in the distance" she never seemed to
notice the different colour.

Old people's colour vision can diminish.

[email protected] September 20th 14 11:26 PM

Bus blinds

On 20.09.14 21:06, wrote:
On Sat, 20 Sep 2014 19:00:20 +0100, Basil Jet
wrote:

On 2014\09\20 09:46,
wrote:

At one time at night if you saw a white blind approaching it would be
a normal bus, if you saw a yellow one it was a Greenline service.
Despite catching one regulary with my Gran she always said "how did
you know it was that one coming in the distance" she never seemed to
notice the different colour.

Old people's colour vision can diminish.

True , but at the time she would have just been in her early 60's .
many people don't regard that as very old and she was still generally
fit and still working.
A lot of people don't regard people as getting old till in their late
60's ,those who set the entitlement age for a state pension for
example.
Fully accept though that you can have healthy fit 70 year old people
but some people get decrepit much earlier.

G.Harman

Lifestyle, I'm guessing.

Basil Jet[_4_] September 21st 14 07:29 AM

Bus blinds

On 2014\09\20 21:06, wrote:
On Sat, 20 Sep 2014 19:00:20 +0100, Basil Jet
wrote:

On 2014\09\20 09:46,
wrote:

At one time at night if you saw a white blind approaching it would be
a normal bus, if you saw a yellow one it was a Greenline service.
Despite catching one regulary with my Gran she always said "how did
you know it was that one coming in the distance" she never seemed to
notice the different colour.

Old people's colour vision can diminish.

True , but at the time she would have just been in her early 60's .
many people don't regard that as very old and she was still generally
fit and still working.
A lot of people don't regard people as getting old till in their late
60's ,those who set the entitlement age for a state pension for
example.
Fully accept though that you can have healthy fit 70 year old people
but some people get decrepit much earlier.

None of that pertains to deterioration of colour vision.

Graham Harrison[_2_] September 21st 14 03:06 PM

Bus blinds

wrote in message
On Fri, 19 Sep 2014 17:33:38 -0500,
wrote:

In article ,
() wrote:

On 19.09.14 22:19, francis wrote:
Is there any reason that some London buses have white destination
blinds & some have yellow?

It's a gradual shift from yellow to white.

Return, you mean. i noticed in Edinburgh this week they are increasingly
using white light digital displays to replace blinds like those in London.

At one time at night if you saw a white blind approaching it would be
a normal bus, if you saw a yellow one it was a Greenline service.
Despite catching one regulary with my Gran she always said "how did
you know it was that one coming in the distance" she never seemed to
notice the different colour.

G.Harman

As a child I could do something similar with my local buses. In those days
the 55 ran from either Chiswick Swimming Pool or Chiswick Station to
Greenford Red Lion or Hayes Station. The way in which those names were
presented in the destination (for example "Swimming" and "Pool" pool were
one above the other in smaller type than Chiswick) meant it was easy to
distinguish from Chiswick Station (all one line) by simple pattern/picture
recognition.

eastender[_4_] September 21st 14 07:18 PM

Bus blinds

On 2014-09-19 21:19:30 +0000, francis said:

Is there any reason that some London buses have white destination
blinds & some have yellow?

Answer by Boris Johnson:

White lettering on a black background is the maximum contrast
available, and TfL is using this format on bus destination blinds for
all new buses entering service, following improvements to powerful LED
lighting used to back-illuminate blinds.

TfL previously used ‘dayglo’ yellow on black at a time when they were
illuminated by ordinary bulbs or florescent tubes. Since then, TfL has
reduced the number of words displayed and introduced much larger
numbers and very bold destinations to increase visibility.

There are some other advantages of black and white over dayglo yellow
which are not immediately apparent. Dayglo yellow fades over time. The
route numbers fade more quickly as they are changed less often than
destination. Thus we have inconsistency on vehicles.

The white on black that will now be used as the standard for new
vehicles fully complies with the Discrimination Disability Act, as well
as meets legibility standards. In addition, the heritage Routemasters
on routes 9 and 15 have always retained their black and white blinds,
and the prototype New Bus for London vehicles on route 38 were
introduced with them. Throughout this time, no concerns from passengers
have been raised regarding their use.

http://mqt.london.gov.uk/mqt/public/...on.do?id=47730

-------------------------------------

I'd add that there may be a colour blindness issue as well, although
yellow is not usually a problem for men who are colour blind (red/green
wavelengths are the usual problem and one reason I could never be an
airline pilot or train driver).

E.

[email protected] September 21st 14 08:07 PM

Bus blinds

In article 2014092120183339822-nospam@nospamcom,

On 2014-09-19 21:19:30 +0000, francis said:

[...]

Dayglo is brighter in daylight, impressively so when fresh. I suppose it may
not get much chance to be shown up, though.

--
Colin Rosenstiel