Old October 8th 14, 10:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster Card

On Tue, Oct 07, 2014 at 10:36:00PM +0100, Theo Markettos wrote:

I suspect few non-Londoners use Ticket Stops or would know where to
find the nearest.

I'm a Londoner and I don't know where the nearest Ticket Stop is either.

A few years back, when people here were incorrectly claiming that Oyster
was great despite it not really being available south of the river (and
note that it's *still* not fully available), I had a look on TfL's
web****e, and IIRC of the few they listed close to home, one didn't
exist and one was in the wrong place. Also - and this was back in the
day when you couldn't top up at National Rail stations, so you couldn't
top up at pretty much any station south of the river - there were none
visible from the station, and none open late in the evening.

Lemme go and check again ...

[pause]

Haha, http://ticketstoplocator.tfl.gov.uk/LocationLocator/ says that
there are no ticket stops anywhere near where I live (CR7 8JH) or work
(E1 6QL) or near Victoria station (SW1E 5ND). If TfL can't find the
damned things, god help any tourist foolish enough to try to use one.

--
David Cantrell | Official London Perl Mongers Bad Influence

Anyone willing to give up a little fun for tolerance deserves neither

Old October 8th 14, 10:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2014-10-08 10:43:02 +0000, David Cantrell said:

CR7 8JH

Thornton Heath station ticket machine? And in the other case Victoria station?

I thought the point was to provide them where the railway/Tube doesn't.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Old October 8th 14, 11:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 08/10/2014 11:43, David Cantrell wrote:
On Tue, Oct 07, 2014 at 10:36:00PM +0100, Theo Markettos wrote:

I suspect few non-Londoners use Ticket Stops or would know where to
find the nearest.

Lemme go and check again ...

[pause]

Haha, http://ticketstoplocator.tfl.gov.uk/LocationLocator/ says that
there are no ticket stops anywhere near where I live (CR7 8JH) or work
(E1 6QL) or near Victoria station (SW1E 5ND). If TfL can't find the
damned things, god help any tourist foolish enough to try to use one.

Yeah - it appears to be broken, go here and try again:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/maps/oyster-ti....5217056274414

(Google still picks up the website you indicated, but navigating the
"new" TfL website takes you to the link I've supplied)
Old October 8th 14, 01:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 08/10/2014 12:24, Someone Somewhere wrote:

On 08/10/2014 11:43, David Cantrell wrote:
[...]
Lemme go and check again ...

[pause]

Haha, http://ticketstoplocator.tfl.gov.uk/LocationLocator/ says that
there are no ticket stops anywhere near where I live (CR7 8JH) or work
(E1 6QL) or near Victoria station (SW1E 5ND). If TfL can't find the
damned things, god help any tourist foolish enough to try to use one.

Yeah - it appears to be broken, go here and try again:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/maps/oyster-ti....5217056274414

(Google still picks up the website you indicated, but navigating the
"new" TfL website takes you to the link I've supplied)

Indeed - ticket stop at Shiv's newsagent on Parchmore Road, another at
Yogi's News on Beulah Rd, another at VK News on Norbury Rd, another at
ACR Wines on Melfort Rd, another at Trpopical Fare on Brigstock Rd,
another opposite Thornton Heath station on Cotford Parade etc etc...

Re Victoria station - there's one actually in the station(Victoria News,
unit 6C), one in Terminus Place (Victoria News again), one on Buckingham
Palace Rd, one on Grosvenor Gardens, one on Vauxhall Bridge Road and so
on and so on.

As for Mr Cantrell's workplace, there's one just round the corner on
Brick Lane.

Oyster Ticket Stops are all over the place - I'd be surprised to find a
parade of shops in Greater London that didn't have one. Most shops that
do Oyster normally advertise it on their exterior - for example, like this:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertoherrett/12678056684

Whether fewer shops might offer Oyster in the future, with the growth of
contactless, is a legit question.

Old October 8th 14, 06:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I await the reply that tells me that none of these outlets exist. ;-)

I have just tried using Firefox under Windows 7 and nothing is returned if you enter a FULL postcode. Enter a place name or the first portion of the postcode and its fine.
Old October 8th 14, 06:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 08/10/2014 19:43, tim..... wrote:

"Theo Markettos" wrote:
[...]
I never queue for top-ups because I mainly use Oyster Ticket Stops.
But then I spend well under £20 a year on Oyster. Would anyone
visiting 2 or 3 times a year spend even that?

It's not hard to burn through a tenner (my standard topup) in a couple of
visits,

I find it is

If I expect to spend more than about 4 pounds per visit a network card
discounted out boundary travelcard (from my start point) works out cheaper

Well there we go, different people are different.

Also, as Colin has pointed out many times in the past, the premium Great
Northern charge for an outboundary Day Travelcard over an Off-peak day
return is significant - without a Railcard discount, it's £30.90 to
23.70 (i.e. differential of £7.20).
Old October 8th 14, 07:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:
Oyster Ticket Stops are all over the place - I'd be surprised to find a
parade of shops in Greater London that didn't have one. Most shops that
do Oyster normally advertise it on their exterior - for example, like this:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertoherrett/12678056684

I think the issue is you need a 'parade of shops', ie small shops with a
newsagent or similar. So I'm standing on The Mall facing Buckingham Palace.
Without looking it up, which direction should I go for a Ticket Stop?

Likewise it can sometimes be a bit 'water, water everywhere and not a drop
to drink'. I'm on Oxford Street, midway between Oxford Circus and Tottenham
Court Road stations, and I want to take a bus (of which there are many).
Again, without looking it up, where do I find a Ticket Stop? There are lots
of /shops/ but I'm not sure Next or American Apparel will help me.

The obvious solution in both cases (to me as a non-local) are 'walk 10 mins
to the nearest tube station', which works but means I'm now potentially 20
mins late.

Theo
Old October 8th 14, 08:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2014-10-08 18:55:31 +0000, Mizter T said:

Also, as Colin has pointed out many times in the past, the premium
Great Northern charge for an outboundary Day Travelcard over an
Off-peak day return is significant - without a Railcard discount, it's
£30.90 to 23.70 (i.e. differential of £7.20).

And there are the disgraceful ones which should never be sold (except
when Railcard discounted), as they are more expensive than a CDR plus
separate Travelcard.

Yes, SWT, I'm looking at you. Bournemouth, if I recall.

Neil
--
Neil Williams