Old October 11th 14, 02:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster Card

On 11/10/2014 14:37, wrote:

In article ,
(Peter Smyth) wrote:

wrote:
[...]
You assume that works for you works for everyone. Please don't.

You were the one who started this discussion by assuming that just
because you don't use auto topup, there is no reason for anyone else to
use it.

I suspect there are lots of people using auto top-up at £20 at a time when
I would top up at a ticket stop for less than a fiver.

*You* would top up less than a fiver, others might well travel more and
hence spend more than that (it's not difficult to spend a fiver using
Oyster in one day).

Also, many people don't share your objection to letting TfL look after a
bit of their money for a while, in exchange for some convenience. The
interest isn't going (directly at least) into dividends for shareholders
and the like.

Auto top-up works well for many people, and I imagine it would have
worked well for many more if they'd actually set it up (which is a mild
faff to do). I imagine that many people who use auto top-up will now
migrate over to using contactless instead.

(I don't think the conversation at any point was 'Colin, you're an idiot
for not using auto top-up' - rather it was more you saying you couldn't
possibly comprehend why infrequent visitors might possibly use it.)

OK, I think I've exhausted this particular strand of the discussion (at
least I'm exhausted by it!).
Old October 13th 14, 10:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, Oct 08, 2014 at 02:42:11PM +0100, Mizter T wrote:

Indeed - ticket stop at Shiv's newsagent on Parchmore Road, another at
Yogi's News on Beulah Rd, another at VK News on Norbury Rd, another at
ACR Wines on Melfort Rd, another at Trpopical Fare on Brigstock Rd,
another opposite Thornton Heath station on Cotford Parade etc etc...

You must have missed the bit where I said that they're not marked in the
right places. For example, Cotford Parade is *not* opposite the station.
Cotford Parade is barely visible from the station.

There are many different types of sausages. The best are
from the north of England. The wurst are from Germany.
-- seen in alt.2eggs...

Old October 13th 14, 10:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2014-10-10 11:25:47 +0000, Mizter T said:
How many of them would be searching Google for a "tfl ticket stop
locator" or similar then?

Tourists? Probably very few.

That was the point that David Cantrell was making.

that he used them instead of stations for some bizarre reason.

You may now start misinterpreting what I just
wrote, and attacking that misinterpretation.
Old October 13th 14, 10:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 07:11:53PM +0100, tim..... wrote:
"David Cantrell" wrote in message
k...
You assume that people losing their Oyster cards is so common as to
offset the cost advantage of auto-topup.

what cost advantage of auto top up?

The one that I explained a few posts back in the thread.

--
David Cantrell | semi-evolved ape-thing

For every vengeance, there is an equal and opposite revengeance.
-- Cartoon Law XI