Old November 2nd 14, 07:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Transport sights for a London day trip

Yes, the East London line was in my mind.

Sorry, I should have acknowledged I was no doubt stating the bleeding
obvious.

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Old November 2nd 14, 08:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 02/11/2014 13:56, tim..... wrote:
[...]
you could add in a walk through one of the Thames "foot" tunnels

tim

Why the quotation marks?
Old November 2nd 14, 08:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mizter T" wrote

On 02/11/2014 13:56, tim..... wrote:
[...]
you could add in a walk through one of the Thames "foot" tunnels

Why the quotation marks?

Cyclists ?

--
Mike D
Old November 2nd 14, 08:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 02/11/14 14:35, Basil Jet wrote:
Behind the Marks and Spencers in Southgate you can see the Picc tunnel
entrances, and see how the entrance tunnel is much larger than the exit
one (the entrance is tapered to lessen the sonic boom from trains
entering the tunnel at speed.

Wow! The Piccadilly Line must have got a lot faster since I was last there.
--
Phil
Liverpool, UK

Old November 2nd 14, 08:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 02/11/2014 17:28, David C wrote:

On Sat, 01 Nov 2014 19:48:16 -0500,
wrote:

Much snipping........
The Woolwich Ferry idea (we could use the foot tunnel) was also that it
might not last much longer! In the early 1970s I took convoluted routes to
Liberal Party Assemblies which included ferries and other services which no
longer run. Travelled to Tilbury Riverside and the ferry to Gravesend
(gone), to New Holland Pier and on the Humber Ferry (gone) and on the Mersey
Ferry and then on one of the few trains from Lime Street to Southport which
no longer run. We may have taken the Woolwich Ferry on the way to Brighton
in 1974 but none of us can remember any more. :-)

IMVHO the Woolwich Ferry will be running for some time to come, & it's
quite convenient for foot passengers as well as cars.

*If* there's ever a bridge built in those parts (i.e. a Beckton -
Thamesmead bridge - what was the "Thames Gateway Bridge" project), then
the ferry would cease.

That's a big if though - the present focus for a new crossing is back on
the Greenwich Peninsula to Silvertown tunnel.

As for the Tilbury Gravesend Ferry, it still runs every half hour from
Monday to Saturday.
Tilbury Riverside Staition is indeed long gone, (now the site of an
intermodal container terminal), but there is a connecting bus to the
Ferry Landing Stage from Tilbury town Station, route number 99
operated by Ensign Bus, & free to rail ticket holders.

Indeed - dunno where Colin gets the idea that the Tilbury to Gravesend
ferry is no more!

Information from Thurrock council:
https://www.thurrock.gov.uk/ferry-services/tilbury-to-gravesend-ferry-service

Unfortunately the recently redesigned Kent County Council website seems
to suffer from amnesia with regards to the ferry, despite the fact that
the ferry is part funded by Kent CC! (It used to feature on the old Kent
CC website I'm sure.)

I *think* there might be some obscure Kent to Essex (and v.v.) rail
tickets routed via the ferry, albeit without the price of the crossing
included...?
Old November 2nd 14, 08:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 02/11/2014 21:26, Michael R N Dolbear wrote:

"Mizter T" wrote
On 02/11/2014 13:56, tim..... wrote:
[...]
you could add in a walk through one of the Thames "foot" tunnels

Why the quotation marks?

Cyclists ?

The Greenwich tunnel is certainly a popular route with Canary Wharf
cycle commuters - actually getting on the bike isn't a done thing, but
'scooting' it a bit isn't entirely unknown.
Old November 2nd 14, 08:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
I'm planning a day trip around London for some Cambridge students who may
not know it well. I'm trying to work out an itinerary for early December,
either Friday 5th or Saturday 6th. I've got an initial list of places or
feature to visit or pass through:

DLR
Overground, inc East London, Crystal Palace
Tramlink
Woolwich ferry
New Routemaster
Old Routemaster, H15 or H9

There's a specific reason for including Crystal Palace. Anyone see anything
or anywhere worthwhile I'm overlooking?

Maybe looking a bit to the future, visit the Battersea Power station site,
soon to include the Northern Line extension? Or at least take a ride out of
Victoria, keeping an eye on it. The walk from Vauxhall is quite
interesting, watching the properties that will pay for the extension
shooting up.

The Thameslink route from St P (take a look at the new tunnels to the GN
from the platform) to Blackfriars (new southern entrance) or London Bridge
is interesting.
Old November 2nd 14, 09:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Robin) wrote:

Yes, the East London line was in my mind.

Sorry, I should have acknowledged I was no doubt stating the bleeding
obvious.

I came here looking for new ideas so I can't really complain if I get
repeats of old ones with them!

--
Colin Rosenstiel