Old November 3rd 14, 11:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Transport sights for a London day trip

I agree a look at the tram subway ramp would be good. People won't
have seen conduit tram tracks before.

Stating the obvious again:

a. that's c.5 mins walk from the LT Museum (if only to know where it
is) and
b. offers Covent Garden Market as "site" other than transport (and
possible watering hole/loo stop)
c and if urinals are an attraction it's only a few minutes further
to Charing Cross Station for the Butterfly urinal, and possibly the
pop-up urinals outside Embankment Station although I doubt they'll be
out to play early enough for you.
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Old November 4th 14, 08:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 4 Nov 2014 01:48:49 +0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
In article ,
(Theo Markettos) wrote:

wrote:
I agree a look at the tram subway ramp would be good. People won't
have seen conduit tram tracks before.

FWIW the tram subway is being used as a depot/RVP/whatever for Crossrail,
so I don't know what access will be like. You might get run over by
diggers or something.

I was assuming we would only look through the gates on Southampton Row. It
was what I did as a kid.

Here's some pics I took on a visit to an art installation there five years
ago:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/reclin...7622549498612/

I visited another "art" exhibition down there about 10 years ago. Very
interesting to walk around though the art students seemed a bit miffed that
most people there were more interested in the tram tunnel than the talent free
load of pretentious crap they were exhibiting.

--
Spud

Old November 4th 14, 03:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Saturday, November 1, 2014 10:24:59 PM UTC, wrote:
I'm planning a day trip around London for some Cambridge students who may
not know it well. I'm trying to work out an itinerary for early December,
either Friday 5th or Saturday 6th. I've got an initial list of places or
feature to visit or pass through:

DLR
Overground, inc East London, Crystal Palace
Tramlink
Woolwich ferry
New Routemaster
Old Routemaster, H15 or H9

There's a specific reason for including Crystal Palace. Anyone see anything
or anywhere worthwhile I'm overlooking?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

The RV1 bus it is Hydrogen powered.

John
Old November 4th 14, 07:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
In article

, (Recliner) wrote:

wrote:
In article ,
(Theo Markettos) wrote:

wrote:
I agree a look at the tram subway ramp would be good. People won't
have seen conduit tram tracks before.

FWIW the tram subway is being used as a depot/RVP/whatever for
Crossrail, so I don't know what access will be like. You might get
run over by diggers or something.

I was assuming we would only look through the gates on Southampton
Row. It was what I did as a kid.

Here's some pics I took on a visit to an art installation there five years
ago:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/reclin...7622549498612/

Very interesting. I'm curious why there is no visible tram track in Holborn
tram station though.

The track has been removed in most of the tunnel, once you get to the
bottom of the ramp, but you can still see the power pickup slot in some
parts, though not in the station area.
Old November 4th 14, 08:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

You can head out to Gants Hill on the Central line and pretend that you're in Moscow.

In conjunction with the recommended visit to Highgate to see the abandoned high level platforms, there's the Parkland Walk between there and Finsbury Park.

A ride on Thameslink between St Pancras and Farringdon, to see the abandoned King's Cross Thameslink.