Old February 11th 04, 09:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Thameslink Oyster

Apologies if this has been raised before - you must forgive me for getting
lost in the many threads.

I'm wondering if there are Oyster card readers on Thameslink - specifically
at the following stations:
Kings Cross
Cricklewood
Hendon
Farringdon
Gatwick

If anyone can shed some light on these I'd be much obliged. Again apologies
for raising this if it's been raised before, but I'd really like to know how
Oyster works in conjuction with Thameslink.

Thanks,

Alan

Old February 11th 04, 01:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 10:23:57 -0000, "Alan Ingham"
wrote:

Apologies if this has been raised before - you must forgive me for getting
lost in the many threads.

I'm wondering if there are Oyster card readers on Thameslink - specifically
at the following stations:
Kings Cross

Definitely at the main entrance, as it doubles as an entrance to the
Underground. Also validators at each end of the tunnel connecting to the
Piccadilly and Victoria Lines IIRC.

Farringdon

Again, shared Underground station, so gated and Oyster validators on
each of the LU platforms.

HTH,

Barry

--
Barry Salter, barry at southie dot me dot uk
Read uk.* newsgroups? Read uk.net.news.announce!

DISCLAIMER: The above comments do not necessarily represent the
views of my employers.
Old February 11th 04, 05:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Alan Ingham" wrote in message ...
Apologies if this has been raised before - you must forgive me for getting
lost in the many threads.

I'm wondering if there are Oyster card readers on Thameslink - specifically
at the following stations:
Kings Cross
Cricklewood
Hendon
Farringdon
Gatwick

There are readers on Thameslink at all stations between Kentish Town &
London Bridge / Elephant & Castle ( which is the section where prepay
is valid.)
Old February 11th 04, 06:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Matthew
Dickinson writes
There are readers on Thameslink at all stations between Kentish Town &
London Bridge / Elephant & Castle ( which is the section where prepay
is valid.)

So why isn't prepay valid for all stations out to the end of Zone 6?

--
Bob Adams
Old February 11th 04, 07:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Bob Adams wrote:

So why isn't prepay valid for all stations out to the end of Zone 6?

Because prepay is only available on National Rail for sections of line
where Underground fares apply; essentially this is any section that
could, as an alternative, the passenger could travel by LU services.
With one or two exceptions. The full list is in the LU conditions of
carriage (http://tube.tfl.gov.uk/content/about/COC.pdf), and is:

Amersham to Marylebone
Finsbury Park to King's Cross/Moorgate
Kentish Town to Moorgate/Elephant & Castle/London Bridge
Richmond to Gunnersbury
Stratford to Custom House
Stratford to Liverpool Street
West Ruislip to South Ruislip
Upminster to Fenchurch Street/Liverpool Street

Old February 11th 04, 09:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , James Farrar
writes
So why isn't prepay valid for all stations out to the end of Zone 6?

Because prepay is only available on National Rail for sections of line
where Underground fares apply; essentially this is any section that
could, as an alternative, the passenger could travel by LU services.

Thanks. The more I hear about the restrictions on an Oyster the more I
believe it is a total waste of time & effort.

--
Bob Adams
Old February 12th 04, 02:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

I'm wondering if there are Oyster card readers on Thameslink - specifically
at the following stations:
Kings Cross

Yes - at the entrance/exit barriers in King's Cross Thameslink and in
the tunnel leading to/from the Underground.

Farringdon

At the top of the stairs near the entrance/exit to the Thameslink
platforms and of course on the station entrance/exit barriers. My
(possibly faulty) memory says this should be the same at Baribican and
Moorgate.

Gatwick

Don't know, but can't see why it would. It's not within the TfL zone
system and Oyster isn't valid there.

If anyone can shed some light on these I'd be much obliged. Again apologies
for raising this if it's been raised before, but I'd really like to know how
Oyster works in conjuction with Thameslink.

This might be of help:

From http://www.tfl.gov.uk/common/downloads/2004-fares.pdf
"Inter-availability of tickets and Pre Pay on National Rail services

Tickets must be valid between the appropriate joint stations or zones.
The routes a
[snipped]
Kenntish Town to Moorgate/Elephant & Castle/London Bridge."

And to add to your questions:
Does City Thameslink have Oystercard readers?

Cheers,

Jason.
Old February 12th 04, 10:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Bob Adams wrote in message ...
In message , James Farrar
writes
So why isn't prepay valid for all stations out to the end of Zone 6?

Because prepay is only available on National Rail for sections of line
where Underground fares apply; essentially this is any section that
could, as an alternative, the passenger could travel by LU services.

Thanks. The more I hear about the restrictions on an Oyster the more I
believe it is a total waste of time & effort.

This isn't TfL's fault - they have to go and negotiate with each
individual TOC to allow Oysters to be used on their lines, IIRC.

Brad
Old February 13th 04, 12:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 12 Feb 2004, TheOneKEA wrote:

Bob Adams wrote in message ...
In message , James Farrar
writes
So why isn't prepay valid for all stations out to the end of Zone 6?

Because prepay is only available on National Rail for sections of line
where Underground fares apply; essentially this is any section that
could, as an alternative, the passenger could travel by LU services.

Thanks. The more I hear about the restrictions on an Oyster the more I
believe it is a total waste of time & effort.

This isn't TfL's fault - they have to go and negotiate with each
individual TOC to allow Oysters to be used on their lines, IIRC.

And they are apparently in the process of doing so. Just hang on a year or
three and see what happens.

Also, it's not about getting the TOCs to accept oysters - they already do,
because oysters can carry travelcards - it's about getting them to accept
LT zonal fares (see threads passim on the merits of this). I'm not
entirely sure why the TOCs can't just take their own fares off the prepay
balance, but i expect there's a perfectly good reason (eg it's not clear
how capping would work).

tom

--
Cthulu saves! (so he can eat you later)