London Banter

-   -   American who transformed the Tube (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/14165-american-who-transformed-tube.html)

eastender[_4_] December 25th 14 08:31 PM

American who transformed the Tube

Nice piece in the Christmas Economist on Charles Yerkes, "an American
financier and ex-convict" who extended/built several Tube lines.

http://www.economist.com/news/christ...-changed-shape

E.

Peter Able December 26th 14 06:18 PM

On 25/12/2014 21:31, eastender wrote:
Nice piece in the Christmas Economist on Charles Yerkes, "an American
financier and ex-convict" who extended/built several Tube lines.

http://www.economist.com/news/christ...-changed-shape

E.

I thought this to be just a light pastiche - until I read:

"Large Victorian houses clustered in places such as Clapham Junction, a
south London neighbourhood home to a railway terminus since 1863."

[email protected] December 26th 14 07:01 PM

On 26.12.14 19:18, Peter Able wrote:
On 25/12/2014 21:31, eastender wrote:
Nice piece in the Christmas Economist on Charles Yerkes, "an American
financier and ex-convict" who extended/built several Tube lines.

http://www.economist.com/news/christ...-changed-shape

E.

I thought this to be just a light pastiche - until I read:

"Large Victorian houses clustered in places such as Clapham Junction, a
south London neighbourhood home to a railway terminus since 1863."

Article also written by a 'Merkin, clearly.

Michael R N Dolbear December 26th 14 08:34 PM

From: wrote in message

On 26.12.14 19:18, Peter Able wrote:
On 25/12/2014 21:31, eastender wrote:
Nice piece in the Christmas Economist on Charles Yerkes, "an American
financier and ex-convict" who extended/built several Tube lines.

http://www.economist.com/news/christ...-changed-shape

I thought this to be just a light pastiche - until I read:

"Large Victorian houses clustered in places such as Clapham Junction, a
south London neighbourhood home to a railway terminus since 1863."

Article also written by a 'Merkin, clearly.

ITYM "once over lightly" not pastiche

The intent was to be interesting to those (including Americans) who know of
London and Windsor and that's all.

The sub-editor should have looked up Wiki though - I take it CJ was never a
terminus ?

-- --
Mike D

[email protected] December 26th 14 08:46 PM

American who transformed the Tube

In article , (Michael R N
Dolbear) wrote:

From:
wrote in message

On 26.12.14 19:18, Peter Able wrote:
On 25/12/2014 21:31, eastender wrote:
Nice piece in the Christmas Economist on Charles Yerkes, "an American
financier and ex-convict" who extended/built several Tube lines.

http://www.economist.com/news/christ...ision-and-cunn
ing-unknown-american-changed-shape

I thought this to be just a light pastiche - until I read:

"Large Victorian houses clustered in places such as Clapham Junction,
a south London neighbourhood home to a railway terminus since 1863."

Article also written by a 'Merkin, clearly.

ITYM "once over lightly" not pastiche

The intent was to be interesting to those (including Americans) who
know of London and Windsor and that's all.

The sub-editor should have looked up Wiki though - I take it CJ was
never a terminus ?

You take it right. Nine Elms was the terminus before Waterloo.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Peter Able December 27th 14 08:09 AM

American who transformed the Tube

On 26/12/2014 21:46, wrote:
In article ,
(Michael R N
Dolbear) wrote:

From:
wrote in message

On 26.12.14 19:18, Peter Able wrote:
On 25/12/2014 21:31, eastender wrote:
Nice piece in the Christmas Economist on Charles Yerkes, "an American
financier and ex-convict" who extended/built several Tube lines.

http://www.economist.com/news/christ...ision-and-cunn
ing-unknown-american-changed-shape

I thought this to be just a light pastiche - until I read:

"Large Victorian houses clustered in places such as Clapham Junction,
a south London neighbourhood home to a railway terminus since 1863."

Article also written by a 'Merkin, clearly.

ITYM "once over lightly" not pastiche

The intent was to be interesting to those (including Americans) who
know of London and Windsor and that's all.

The sub-editor should have looked up Wiki though - I take it CJ was
never a terminus ?

You take it right. Nine Elms was the terminus before Waterloo.

Well, I guess that it was a sort of terminus as far as the broad gauge
was concerned - but, really!

And, yes, I meant pastiche, Mike.

PA