Old January 17th 15, 02:32 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Forward view for passengers

" wrote:
On 17.01.15 14:38, Recliner wrote:
" wrote:
On 16.01.15 14:32, Michael Bell wrote:
Very often on the Tyne-Wear Metro you see the two front seats occupied
You see couples, sometimes old, going forward to take them when they
become vacant. Does that seem childish or praiseworthy enthusiasm?

Anyway, it is fact. (Or as the new Americanism goes "it is a thing". I
think that uses English words well)

Are train designers missing a trick by insisting on full-width cabins?
Years ago there was an advert aimed a pensioners which was a forward
view of the pensioner pair, the driver and the track ahead. Obviously
they saw the attraction then, why not now. And it fills space with
fare-paying passengers!

All the more reason to look forward to crewless trains on the Piccadilly.

They may or may not eventually be driverless, but they certainly won't be
crewless.

Fair enough. Choice of words.

And what we don't know yet is whether there will be an enclosed cab in the
NTfL trains. I'm guessing there will be, based on these words, "The
capability for use in fully-automated mode in the future". In other words,
the automatic trains will still have drivers at the front when first
introduced in the 2020s.

Old January 17th 15, 04:04 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

" wrote:
[...]

I thought that it was going to be DLR-style, however.
Old January 17th 15, 09:10 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

" wrote:
[...]

Perhaps, but I suspect there will be a conventional cab initially. At
least, even if there is, let's hope it has a glass rear wall.
Old January 17th 15, 11:12 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

" wrote:
[...]

It's not the same as having a directly unimpeded view, IMHO.

Have you visited New York City and taken a ride on the Subway, Recliner?
You'd know what I was talking about, if so.
Old January 17th 15, 11:55 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

" wrote:
[...]

I have, but not recently. I do know about the cubicle cabs and we can be
quite sure the NTfL trains won't have those.

Old January 18th 15, 02:58 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

I've seen people do that on the DLR. And why not? What's wrong with
having a front seat view? I don't consider that to be childish.